What is the biggest difference between here and where you came from!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
I still have a very hard time handling the fact that people are having 2 conversations at a time.. today it even got to a point that someone was giving me his number and there were 2 more digits left to give and all of a sudden some other guy starts a conversation with the guy who gave me his number.

I'm kidding you not, 1 minute later dude gave me his remaining last 2 digits.. :ermm:

I MEAN, YOU REALLY COULDN'T GIVE ME THOSE 2 DIGITS STRAIGHT AWAY!?!?!?!

And even when I'm in a conversation you got people trying to start an other conversation with me in the middle of me already having a conversation. I'm already having a hard time trying to say whatever I need to say in Spanish, but then to get interrupted?!

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Also, it took me a couple of days to understand that the lady who was helping me who stood very close to me and all that wasn't doing it because I was God's gift to ladies.. naaah! That is just the way it goes.

I was about to come back with a rose to ask her out, to only see her doing the same to the next costumer.. :dead:

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
I see your carrying on a conversation with yourself, again.

Yes, you've got me.. :speechles

But then again, it's possible that others so happen to feel like sharing their thoughts as well. If not, at least me, myself & I had fun looking back at what happened. :)

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I once was in the Nacional and a girl looked at me, and then low and behold I definitely saw her look at another guy.

I was crushed and almost moved back to Canada! :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Need to upgrade to a minimum dual-core processor while in the DR. RAM isn't as important as multiple processing routes.

Sensory overload, get used to it.

This is Windows 8 territory. Your Windows 98 processing will bog down...

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Need to upgrade to a minimum dual-core processor while in the DR. RAM isn't as important as multiple processing routes.

Sensory overload, get used to it.

This is Windows 8 territory. Your Windows 98 processing will bog down...

"Thats what she said"

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"IF",you let them get away with it!
Dominicans feel that their conversation always takes presidence over yourconversation!
They just walk up,and start talking.
I call them out!
"Perdon",but "wait your turn",I am talking now!
They hate HAVING ATTENTION CALLED TO THEIR BAD BEHAVIOR.
I also never hesitate to bring out the "Mal Educado",which they HATE!
And,when they really PI$$-Me-Off,there is always the "Come Mierda!!",but be ready to back that one up!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Mira!

Dominicans feel that their conversation always takes presidence over yourconversation!

The magic word is "MIRA!"
It could be that you are being attended at a shop, at a reception, well, anywhere...
And out of the blue comes this guy shouting "mira". :tired:
Now, you might as well go home...
A mira-shouter always gets attention first.

donP

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
It could be that you are being attended at a shop, at a reception, well, anywhere...

donP

Oye!!!!!

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I still have a very hard time handling the fact that people are having 2 conversations at a time.. today it even got to a point that someone was giving me his number and there were 2 more digits left to give and all of a sudden some other guy starts a conversation with the guy who gave me his number.

I'm kidding you not, 1 minute later dude gave me his remaining last 2 digits.. :ermm:

I MEAN, YOU REALLY COULDN'T GIVE ME THOSE 2 DIGITS STRAIGHT AWAY!?!?!?!

And even when I'm in a conversation you got people trying to start an other conversation with me in the middle of me already having a conversation. I'm already having a hard time trying to say whatever I need to say in Spanish, but then to get interrupted?!

Do you notice everything Dominicans do? The DR is a really CHILL place, my advice to you is have a nice COLD beer with some young lady, and sit on your balcony and BLAST Frank Reyes and if you feel the need start dancing. Watching every little thing Dominicans do is not productive.

BTW the song you want blast is" Quien Eres Tu" this song is the S**T!!!

Last edited:

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011

donP

LOL, I'm in the process of becoming a mira-shouter myself.. the first couple of days I just didn't have the balls to say: "yo, it's my turn.. you wait!"

But now I've got my "ey!" game going on, and it seems to work.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I've discovered I have "the look" which, according to my kids, I have always have. When someone interrupts my painfully pitiful attempts at Spanish I give them "the look" which apparently loosens sphincters to sufficiently distract even the most annoying interruption until I mumble through what I was saying. That said, the problem is it seems to be an area wide impact somewhat like a grenade in that everyone in the near vicinity totally loses track of their train of thought. Unfortunately that includes the person I was speaking to, who looks at me google-eyed and mumbles "perdon" back at me.

Of course, and I am just spit-balling here, it could be that my Spanish is so bad that the recipient has no idea what I am saying and then "the look" just makes them crap standing there so they have no concept of what is happening. Alas, I can't figure it out...but it is entertaining!

Love this country!!

will92

May 4, 2011
lol this is why I joined DR1 you guys make my day....BTW Quien eres tu is a very good choice
Do you notice everything Dominicans do? The DR is a really CHILL place, my advice to you is have a nice COLD beer with some young lady, and sit on your balcony and BLAST Frank Reyes and if you feel the need start dancing. Watching every little thing Dominicans do is not productive.

BTW the song you want blast is" Quien Eres Tu" this song is the S**T!!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I had this the other day at the pharmacia when the two girls at the cash register were having their ALL important discussion while making my change
.. I did my MIRA,, and explained that she should make my change FIRST and then talk to her friend afterwards..
So then she gave me the LOOK
and handed me back 1200 pesos change from my 500 pesos!

Now, normally, I would most absolutely certainly tell the clerk that she had made a mistake and had back the extra.

But this time.. mostly because of the LOOK,,

I decided that I would let the chica have her cash drawer come out short at the end of the day and MAYBE learn a lesson...

i know

whistling up wind

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Mt.Annie",Score one for the "Visiting Team"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many years ago,I was at Supermercado National,shopping with a visiting friend of mine from Calif.
I had a lot of stuff,him,not so much.We went to the checkout .I went first,he was next in line.The "Cajera" checked me out,while having a continuous conversation,including "eye contact" with the cashier next to us.She checked me out and said,8,200 pesos.She watched as I took out eight 1,000peso bills,and two 100 peso notes,STILL talking to the next cashier! As she talked,I decided to give he 9,000 pesos,not 200,so I would get 800 pesos change back,(We All KNOW,how important "Change" is here!) I handed her the 9,000,she put it in the register,and closed it. I told her she was 800 pesos short.She said,"NO',I gave her 8,200."I saw you",she said.I told her I had put the 200 back and gave her nine 1,000 pesos notes.I asked for the supervisor.Told her the story,and she said I would have to wait while they checked out all the others in line,and then close the register to make a "count".I told them that I was NOT MOVING until I got my 800 pesos.Everyone left the line,except my friend.He had his purchases already on the "Belt".After counting all the money,and checking the registers receipts,the cashier gave me a "Dirty Look" :angry:,and said "AQUI!!" As she handed me eight 100 peso notes.
I said,"Aqui,y que MAS?".She ,of course had no idea what "MAS" I was looking for????
I told her "Diga,aqui,y lo siento mucho."
Another,ever more dirty look! :angry::angry::angry:
Now for the good part.
She was so Pi$$ed off,she passed all my purchases,which were paid for,PLUS,all my friends purchases,which were not,to the "Bag Boys"!!
My "Visiting Friend" tried to tell her that she had not charged him,IN ENGLISH,luckily for us both!
I shut him up,and we went home with some "FREE" groceries.
Sad to say,"Supermercado National" has been screwing me,and everyone else since they got here,but for "THAT DAY",I won!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Ha! shows how difficult it is to get an apology out of a pi$$ed off Dominican girl, would rather give away free stuff than utter those simple words, lol.

or did she?

I bet not!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've discovered I have "the look" which, according to my kids, I have always have. When someone interrupts my painfully pitiful attempts at Spanish I give them "the look" which apparently loosens sphincters to sufficiently distract even the most annoying interruption until I mumble through what I was saying. That said, the problem is it seems to be an area wide impact somewhat like a grenade in that everyone in the near vicinity totally loses track of their train of thought. Unfortunately that includes the person I was speaking to, who looks at me google-eyed and mumbles "perdon" back at me.

Of course, and I am just spit-balling here, it could be that my Spanish is so bad that the recipient has no idea what I am saying and then "the look" just makes them crap standing there so they have no concept of what is happening. Alas, I can't figure it out...but it is entertaining!

Love this country!!
:cheeky:

I also do that. If someone busts in line, I muscle back in front and give them "the look." Usually looking down.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That's easier for "Big Dogs" like us than for more demure ladies.
"No!",she never said "Lo Siento"
That would mean admitting a mistake,IMPOSIBLE" for a Dominican!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Status
Not open for further replies.