Here is a question for Social Security knowledgeable people

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My sister in law, a Dominican, was married to a US citizen who passed last year, and as a result she is entitled to his SS benefits as his widow.

My question is this: How can she talk to the SSA people in the Consulate?
Does she just get there early, get a ticket and wait?
Does she need to make an appointment?

I realize that this might be on-line, but I prefer personal knowledge...if you can.

Besides, I am preparing for finals and that is always a pain...help me out here, pretty please with sugar on it!

HB

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
HB, I always take care of my dad's issues with SSA here in DR. I usually call and talk with an SSA rep. If they can't help me over the phone they'll schedule an appointment for my dad to go in person.

You may apply at this office for retirement, spouse, survivor and disability benefits or update your record, if you are already receiving payments from SSA, VA, OPM or any other federal agency.

So yes she can apply for spouse survivor ss benefits in Santo Domingo Federal Benefits Unit (FBU).

You can call the Federal Benefits Unit at:
(809)731-4371 from 1:15pm to 4:30pm from Monday through Thursday and Fridays from 7 am to 11 am, except the first and last Wednesday of the month. Window hours from 8:00 to 11:30 hrs the same days as above and Friday 7:30 hrs to 11 hrs. Fridays the FBU closes at 11 hrs.

Source: Social Security and Veterans Benefits | Embassy of the United States Dominican Republic

NotLurking

My sister in law, a Dominican, was married to a US citizen who passed last year, and as a result she is entitled to his SS benefits as his widow.

My question is this: How can she talk to the SSA people in the Consulate?
Does she just get there early, get a ticket and wait?
Does she need to make an appointment?

I realize that this might be on-line, but I prefer personal knowledge...if you can.

Besides, I am preparing for finals and that is always a pain...help me out here, pretty please with sugar on it!

HB

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
She needs to make an appointment online- i don't know much about benefits, but the process used to be a free-for-all and you'd go, take a number and wait. I went to get my kid's SS# without an appointment and had to pull out the tricks to actually get in because they had changed the system to an internet appoinment book thing.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
HB,

You should call SS in the US at 800-772-1213 with your Magic Jack. Just get to speak to someon live and they are very helpful and can guide you.

However I asked once if I was married to a Dominican and if I die can she get benefits. They told me that she could, but she had to live in the US a certain amount of time a year. So she would need a green card.

Best bet call this number and talk to someone there. It beats going to the Embassy for the same information.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I just had a situation of this nature recently. My uncle who lived with us died and had an underage son who he applied to collect his SS in the event he died which he ( his son ) will be able to collect until he is an adult ( 18 I believe ). I'm not sure this can be done after the SS beneficiary has passed though and am not sure for how long someone would be able to collect their benefits as an adult.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
HB, Realizing your "plate is full" right now, I tried to do some research for you.mailto:FBU.SantoDomingo@ssa.gov Is the best contact to ask your questions. You can begin with socialsecurity.gov/foreign . I recall the above contact came from another site though. In my research all seems to get quite iffy. Things to consider: Did the surviving Dominican spouse have a green card, SSN or ITIN number i.e. did the U.S. Citizen claim her on any tax returns jointly? Did she spend much time in the states? Any wills, trusts or other docs executed in the states? I'm not sure that a Spousal Visa would hold up to the scrutiny now. Too many forged docs etc. from the DR. Best Wishes with this; please keep us all informed. I never thought my Dominican wife could be eligible. I'll be filing for my SS July 23rd as I turn 62 Oct. 22nd. Maybe when finals are done, you and Cobra Boy can hook up and chase the "little white thing". Seems that golf may be good for both and get him off the crazy motorcycling for awhile!!!