Dominican Elections 2012

Who do you think will win the elections in May?

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The elections are roughly a month from now.

How accurate is the DR1 community in gauging political tendencies in the Dominican Republic?

There's only one way to find out.

The poll is straight forward. If you feel like giving an explanation for why you think that person will win, go ahead and post away.

This poll doesn't asks would you vote for, but rather who you think will win.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My brother-in-law says the polls & press say Danilo, but the 'street' says Hippo. He has a restaurant with 100% Dominican clientele, so he talks to a lot of people.

Time will tell

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
My brother-in-law says the polls & press say Danilo, but the 'street' says Hippo. He has a restaurant with 100% Dominican clientele, so he talks to a lot of people.

Time will tell

Yeah, the "street" of course, all these without education. Most of them do not see the Hipolito appearances on TV etc. and are easily bought with some stuff.

Hopefully Danilo wins. My wife's Dominican family (all former "blancos") will all vote for "morado". Some (and I hope many more) realize what uncertainty and danger Hipolito represents.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
There's some crazy cash being pumped into this, Eastside parties, free gas, Brugal, and Mil pesos goes a long way to buying peoples affection, or at least vote. I would love to know just how much is being poured into the streets, it must be a huge amount of cash for what is covered.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
First a disclaimer: I do not live in the DR and I am not Domincian. I am a frequent flier to the DR, and I consider the country my second home. Having said that, I think it important to keep in mind that whatever politicians do to get elected [and there is a ton of money poured into political campaigns in the US and other 'first world' countries] it is nontheless the people who will decide between these candidates for president, in a relatively democratic Domincian Republic. I was there when Hippo was president and the peso to the dollar was 50 to 1. I believed that Leonel would be a transformative president. I thought he would rout out corruption and transform the educational system. I was naive then. From my perspective, then and now, Hiplito was not a good president. He should not be elected again. While Leonel has disappointed in many respects, he has done some very good things both domestically and internationally and the people of the DR would do well to continue the policies he has set out. Transforming the political system of distributing goodies at election time, and hiring a close relative, is not going to happen in the short term. And so it goes until a new generation of Domincian comes of age.

rodrigito

Jul 4, 2008
This poll is lacking in political parties. Alianza Pais, among other political parties, should be listed options as well.

Rod

Last edited by a moderator:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There's a 99.9999999% chance no other party is remotely close to winning the elections. 'Nuff said.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The problem I see in this pool is that is that it won't change the final decision of the real voters.

I see Hipo is far way over Danilo in all the pools made by populars Dominican radio stations,news papers etc.etc.

JJ

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The problem I see in this pool is that is that it won't change the final decision of the real voters.

I see Hipo is far way over Danilo in all the pools made by populars Dominican radio stations,news papers etc.etc.

JJ

We're but days to find out which is which...

My hands would fall off from my wrists if I attempted to even vote for Hippo...

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
I wonder when the results of the election will make a difference for the average Dominican?
Will either do anything about the rampant corruption, or will it be business as usual?

Of course I think Hipolito is a raging lunatic, but that's my opinion. I would hope that there is change when the next President takes office.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I wonder when the results of the election will make a difference for the average Dominican?
Will either do anything about the rampant corruption, or will it be business as usual?

For the average Dominican, I doubt there will be much difference. The corruption is too embedded in the country for any one person to make a difference.

Short story. A 20-something neighbor of my suegra was a 'guardia', he's close to the family. When he came out to visit us for a weekend, we found out he'd lost his job. Why? He became aware of blatant corruption and stealing going on, and naively reported it. Seems his immediate superior was involved. Result? They canned him, and business is going on as usual. He's lucky they only fired him.

It's rampant at ALL levels.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The majority of a country's voters cannot be stupid enough to elect a boor like Hip?lito again.

.....can they?

My cedula says "No Vota". I can't even trade it for a salami.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Unfortunately the majority of people ARE that "stupid" and forgetful. I have some family members who used to call me asking me for money back in The latest part of The Hippo days and telling me how Hippo "Le quito el beber leche a sus hijos"...now that same person is telling me how back then there was money on the street and things were better. All I can do is shake my head in disbelief.

What is incredible to me that here we are in 2012 (50+ years since Trujillo) and still HOPING that these people are going to come to power and fix anything. Is there anything new here? Aren't these the SAME people who have been governing us for the last 30+ years with the catastrophic results we see every day. How blind can we be?

The only reason I like PLD a little better (not by much) than The PRD is because at least they have a history of maintaining macro economic stability, whereas The PRD has a reputation (deserved or not) of every time they've been in power the country has degenerated into chaos by the end of their reigning period.

The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting the same result...by that measure we're ALL insane in The DR. We continue to elect the same people over and over all the while expecting they're going to act differently this time.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Haha...being that the witch doctors are from SJDM they were probably paid off by Felix "El Gato" Bautista. They say he's got the that whole area from SJDM to Puerto Prince in his pockets. He's become the Amable Aristy of the Western part of the island.