What in the world did Hipolito say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
He stated at a meeting in NYC, "Y si Obama que vino de ?frica y naci? por all? es Presidente, por qu? no puede llegar uno de ustedes, que es una mezcla m?s graciosa que Obama." This sounds like a racial insult to me.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Apparently the clan in the capital yesterday, paying for all the motos and greentop gas. Apparently there are events arranged for today where people attending will be given RD1,000 for their vote. I'm not there but I'm hearing it's pretty nuts.

Nov 25, 2008
And he wants to become president again....go figure
You should YouTube his interview with Jorge Ramos; the ending was the best to LOL

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Funny how everyone becomes politically correct when it suits them. This is mild by Hippo standards.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You guys are pussies! What Hipolito was saying was that if Obama (ugly as he is) can become president, one of you (of beautiful Dominican mixture) can too! What's the big deal? Not PC in English or to an American crowd, is perfectly fine for a Dominican one.

If you do not understand Dominican culture you cannot criticize his language.

Nobody is saying he is a gifted intellect...

HB

(Thank you Chiri, you said it better)

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
I hope he would say the same and be in full support of the diaspora/ naturalized haitians living here in the dr..

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Y'all getting all bent up over that when the "Llego Papa" billboards are plastered all around the country?!?

Who the hell uses "Yo' Daddy's here" as a political slogan?

SHALENA

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Y'all getting all bent up over that when the "Llego Papa" billboards are plastered all around the country?!?

Who the hell uses "Yo' Daddy's here" as a political slogan?

SHALENA
"Esto no tiene madre - Lleg? Pap?" is funny - but the whole Pap? thing is precisely what's wrong about Dominican politics. The electorate is the helpless, dependent child and the politician is the all powerful father, the provider. Paternalism - literally.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
"Esto no tiene madre - Lleg? Pap?" is funny - but the whole Pap? thing is precisely what's wrong about Dominican politics. The electorate is the helpless, dependent child and the politician is the all powerful father, the provider. Paternalism - literally.

I almost spilled my tragito when I first read that ad lol

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
You can see the racist disrespect blunder here:
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I8DfOjQ0LG0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NotLurking

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Hmmmm, not good, but I think the crowds responses make it come across even worse than it need be taken, He does come across as a bit ignorant that he should not be saying things like this, but I think his use of words are worse than his actual intent.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
He stated at a meeting in NYC, "Y si Obama que vino de ?frica y naci? por all? es Presidente, por qu? no puede llegar uno de ustedes, que es una mezcla m?s graciosa que Obama." This sounds like a racial insult to me.

My wife says this is a very racist remark.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
"Esto no tiene madre - Lleg? Pap?" is funny - but the whole Pap? thing is precisely what's wrong about Dominican politics. The electorate is the helpless, dependent child and the
politician is the all powerful father, the provider. Paternalism - literally.

I believe this paternal mentality is a remnant of the days of "El Padre de la Patria" and "Papa' Trujillo" Several posters on this board still long for those days when there was good education, law and order, no crime, clean streets, the peso was 1:1 with the dollar and dissenters would be picked up by guys driving a "cepillo" and taken to "La Cuarenta" never to be seen alive again.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
I love hipolito, he IS a real man. nothing of what he said was racist..but..Now days any little thing is racist,hope we never get to be like U.S. in that respect.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jaysus! I am going to be fairly non-PC with this so read on.

In the Dominican mentality, especially in NYC and other areas, as well as here in the Dominican Republic, they have a deep-set prejudice against negroid features. "African" to them is negative. Color is not the issue. So, and I am being brief, when Hipolito truly insults Obama in a very Dominican way by calling him African, the Dominican audience understands it. They get it.
And when he encourages his audience of Dominicans, he also mentions their mulatto/mestizo/whatever as being beautiful and something that would help one of them become president of the US...If he (Obama) who is ugly can do it, one of you, who are beautiful, can too!

That is all he is saying. Don't go reading a lot more into this. If it is racism, it is Dominican racism, and how are you going to stop that? You should know that no Dominican ever talks of blacks. No, they talk of "morenos" ....this is another facet of Dominican racism.

I think that, like the Junot Diaz book, if you don't know understand the players and the culture, his comments certainly cannot be correctly interpreted. Hipolito can't be a racist!! He is Dominican and he knows it!!

Of course if you put his comments into English, well, yes they were so politically incorrect. So what? He was not talking to a US audience but to a Dominican audience.

This came up in class today and the young men and women understood this quite well.

(You want racism? Look at Obama's launch of African Americans for Obama, it's on Youtube)

HB

Today Hipolito was at PUCMM. He was coherent, brilliant and on point. His one slip came when he mentioned Brugal, Barcel'o and forgot to mention Bermudez!!! Oh well......

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Racism is racism, be it by Swedes, Americans or Martians. When in America, you need to address your audience with American standards, not those of the Dominican Republic. Either Hipolito was ignorant or intentionally insulted the pres. Either way, he's not presidential material. Even Castro and Chavez laugh at his goofy rhetoric.

Many Dominicans I know are thoroughly insulted by Mejia. One simply need look, as some have mentioned, at his campaign slogan to see the kind of campaign he is running, and it just doesn't apply to intellectuals.

The only thing I can think from your comment is that you're peerredeista and in damage control mode. So is the Dominican Senate!!!

Jaysus! I am going to be fairly non-PC with this so read on.

In the Dominican mentality, especially in NYC and other areas, as well as here in the Dominican Republic, they have a deep-set prejudice against negroid features. "African" to them is negative. Color is not the issue. So, and I am being brief, when Hipolito truly insults Obama in a very Dominican way by calling him African, the Dominican audience understands it. They get it.
And when he encourages his audience of Dominicans, he also mentions their mulatto/mestizo/whatever as being beautiful and something that would help one of them become president of the US...If he (Obama) who is ugly can do it, one of you, who are beautiful, can too!

That is all he is saying. Don't go reading a lot more into this. If it is racism, it is Dominican racism, and how are you going to stop that? You should know that no Dominican ever talks of blacks. No, they talk of "morenos" ....this is another facet of Dominican racism.

I think that, like the Junot Diaz book, if you don't know understand the players and the culture, his comments certainly cannot be correctly interpreted. Hipolito can't be a racist!! He is Dominican and he knows it!!

Of course if you put his comments into English, well, yes they were so politically incorrect. So what? He was not talking to a US audience but to a Dominican audience.

This came up in class today and the young men and women understood this quite well.

(You want racism? Look at Obama's launch of African Americans for Obama, it's on Youtube)

HB

Today Hipolito was at PUCMM. He was coherent, brilliant and on point. His one slip came when he mentioned Brugal, Barcel'o and forgot to mention Bermudez!!! Oh well......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.