cryin' the kilowatt blues

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
OK... yea, I know, this is about the millionth thread about electricity. Many are about loss of service, the rest are about high cost. This is category 2. Just got my most recent bills for my 2 bed / 2 bath condo in el Cortecito / P.C., and even knowing in advance that prices are high, I was "shocked" (no pun intended, LOL). Seriously though... it's a new unit, completed late October. The first couple of bills (no use) were about $27 US. OK... no problem. Bill for Jan., visited one week - weather was mild / minimal A.C. use (two or three times to dry it out) $84 US!!!!! OUCH... whats going to happen in the Summer when this spoiled gringo wants to keep cool???? OK... this is even better... bill for Feb. $47 US almost double the "base rate" with no use!!!??? (or at least not me.. I wasn't there). WTF??? OK.. guys were there and installed screens... what, a couple of hours???

Any thoughts or comparisons to costs of other owners in P.C.???

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
WTF, are you really opening a thread for a US$84.00 electricity bill in the DR? Are you kidding me??

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Pay Up,it costs money to live in "Paradise"!
Your neighbor probably is thanking you for your assistance when you are away!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I know there is someone here that would do back flips of happiness if there bill was that small (CC Im looking at you).

If could be that as you are away your neighbor is helping himself to some of your juice. I would send a friend if possible while you are away to check for any irregularities.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
WTF, are you really opening a thread for a US$84.00 electricity bill in the DR? Are you kidding me??

for one week... yea.. I'd say that's excessive, but to be honest it's more about the mysterious jump when I wasn't even there. As for it being used by neighbors... unlikely, as one of six units in the building. There really isn't any access to the power lines. Anyway, I guess the thread would be more "POPULAR" if it was about sankies, corruption, or moto conchos. LOL

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I shudder to think about how HIGH my electric bill will surge after the elections???!!!!
Leonel broke the IMF loan agreement for an additional 500million US dollars rather than raise electric rates 18% as required by the IMF.It was just a ploy to postpone the loan,and the increase!!!
As soon as the election is over,if "Danilo/Leonel/Leonel win,the agreement comes back,as well as the increase! Wanna Bet???
Peso to US Dollar,50 to 1 within a year!
BANK on it!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Feb 7, 2007
Go to the meter panel and make your readings every day.
Turn off breakers in the apartment and see if meter is still running. you can even see digital meters running because they will have a digital progress bar, analogue meters will have a wheel spinning. What appliances have you got?
27 USD for no usage (like no living) is too high.... when I go to Europe for 2 weeks in December my usage is ZERO because I turn off everything, including fridge etc (I usaully give away what's in it before I leave).

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
We pay around 150 to 200 dollars monthly in Pueblo Bavaro. Minimal A/C use, around 3 hrs per day only using one of three. Besides the fridge and fan there are 3 computers w/ 4 monitors running 15 hrs/day on average which I think generates the biggest volume. Without these I would think bill could be less than 100 $ per month.

bluenose

Dec 31, 2007
For people not from the Bavaro area - we have been hit with the following rate increases in the past one year:

A year ago it was RD 13.06/ KW

Then in new year it jumped to RD 13.38 /KW

and it now stands at RD 14.09 /KW

Geeshhhhhhhhhh - and I would not doubt if it does this every year........the price one pays to live in a tourist area with minimal power outages .....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We have never paid more than US$80 (45 to 50 during the cooler months) but we don't use a/c or clothes dryer and make a point of never leaving fans or lights on if no one is in the room. Most bulbs are low-energy and the water heater is switched on for about 20-30 mins per day.

CEPM does have a minimum charge of about US$27 which is what we pay for the months we are out of the country, even with everything disconnected.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Eastcoast. We would pay a consistent RD1,750 ish monthly with absolutely no A/C use at all. never any cuts.

Jarabacoa. With the same usage, same routine would never be over RD1,000. cuts when it rains.

Santo Domingo. Just over RD2,700 consistently, albeit a few years ago and minimal A/C use to cool the then baby. 7 hour cuts every day.