Been ripped off with my credit card - any help and advice welcome please

Status
Not open for further replies.

farfromhome

Apr 14, 2012
Hi all,

I am here on vacation and found out that my boyfriend has been using my credit card and debit card without me knowing.
The sum of money amounts to nearly $2000 dollars in 4 days from the 3rd - 7th April.
The early hours of Friday he also cleared off with my passport, all my cards, any money in the apartment, ipod, camera and various tennis shoes.
Of course I cancelled my cards or he would have run it up to the limit for sure.
He did return my passport to me late Saturday after I called one of his friends in the US to talk some sense into him and he returned the cards too (no use now)
I never gave him the cards to use or the pin number and had no idea he was using it until I saw a friend in town who told me she had seen him at the Banco Progreso with a card getting money.
I can only conclude he watched me while I was taking money from tha ATM and remembered my number.
He returned the passport a day later and my cards but the damage had already been done.
I had him arrested late wednesday evening when he came back to my apartment and started getting aggressive.
I filed a complain and Thursday was sent to speak to the Fiscal here in Sosua.
She was totally on my side and sign for his arrest and to be sent to the Fiscal in Puerto Plata.
On arrive at Puerto Plata things started to swing back in his favour when the police officer that took him there found him a lawyer straight away and they started talking together.
He was seen first without me and then when i was summonded to speak the man there didn,t want to listen to anything I had to say.
Saying because we were together there was nothing he could do for me , only get a protection order for me (which I pick up Wednesday)
I can only conclude that money changed hands and he was released.
Any advice good or bad would be great.
Of course lesson is learn,t, don,t really need anyone to say how silly I have been.
Thanks to all in advance.

eldanes

Apr 6, 2011
Whoa, just a min.

Let’s just step back a sec. and have a second thought.
The Justice system should work this way:
1. You make a complaint (allegation) and the police will interview you.
2. The police detain the person whom you are making an allegation against. They will now interview that person to gather his/her view of the events. If they believe they have got all facts and the accused is not thought that he would interfere with the coming investigations the police is going to make and is not suspected being able to tamper with evidence he will be released. Sometimes if it is obvious the police will present the case to the fiscal and if required the fiscal will produce the facts and request the person in “libertad condicional” i.e. custody.
3. The police then look for any other witnesses and evidence that a crime has been committed.
4. Once all testimonies and evidence has been gathered this is passed over to the fiscal who will look at the material and decide if there is enough evidence for an indictment.
5. If the fiscal decide a delito/falta has been committed they will raise the case with the sala de instrucci?n de lo penal and they will dictate a verdict when the case comes before the court.
So, how far did you get in the above steps? Step 2? If you think nothing is happening you may want to hire a solicitor/”procurador” to progress your claim. As you said “money probably changed hands but that will only keep this fellow out of “libertad condicional” It is still the fiscal who decides if there is grounds for the case to go before a judge – not the police. However, as it is the police who will gather evidence you may want to join forces with a solicitor to keep an eye with the way the police handles your case. In the US and Europe that is not required but in a crock country like DR you need to be on your toes.
Also bear in mind most banks has got cameras in the ATM's so there will be evidence in the banks' ATM of who withdrew the funds together with the transaction. If you get that evidence he is royally foocked.
As this is credit card fraud your card issuer should want to collaborate with the local law enforcement and provide them with proof.

El dan?s

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Be Thankful!!!!!!
You now have a "Degree" from the "School Of Hard Knocks",and it only cost you $2,000.
A very valuable degree,at a very resonable price!
You are not injured,at least phsically.
Now leave the DR before you waste more of your time and money on a "Fool's Erand"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let this be a "Life's Lesson" to you,and any other person thinking they will find "True Love" with a poor Dominican with who you have absolutely nothing in common!
I know that neither you,nor most probably anyone else will heed this advice,because you always "KNOW" that your Guy/Gal,is "different"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
It will be very hard to prove credit card fraud if he had her pin number. he could just tell the court that she gave it to him, as well as permission to withdraw the money. then it will become an issue of he said/she said. If he doesn't admit to any wrong doing...and why would he? Then it just becomes an issue of he said/she said. after all, his excuse will be "How did i get the pin numbers if she didn't give them to me? "Of course she gave them to me, your honor." Furthermore, we're (her and I) are in a sexual relationship. If this is the case (sexual relationship) then i can't see him getting into any trouble at all if he doesn't admit to doing any wrong doing.

Happens everyday on this island, everywhere, but especially tourists towns. it's been happening for decades, and will continue to happen for decades to come.

Remember, you're dealing with very poor, financially desparate people here.

Frank

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You don't say where you're from, but in the US any credit card charges made on a stolen card are usually capped at $50 per card. The debit card might be dicier because he had the PIN #. Did he return the iPod, camera, etc.?

Sorry that this happened to you, I suspect this happens frequently, but people are ashamed to admit it.

Forewarned is forearmed..... but so many just don't believe it can happen to them.

farfromhome

Apr 14, 2012
“libertad condicional” this happened sure of it.
The fiscal here in Sosua signed this , she wasn,t listening to any of his lies.
The problem was when I got to Puerto Plata everthing seemed to be going in my favour till I got there

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Be Thankful!!!!!!
You now have a "Degree" from the "School Of Hard Knocks",and it only cost you $2,000.
A very valuable degree,at a very resonable price!
You are not injured,at least phsically.
Now leave the DR before you waste more of your time and money on a "Fool's Erand"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let this be a "Life's Lesson" to you,and any other person thinking they will find "True Love" with a poor Dominican with who you have absolutely nothing in common!
I know that neither you,nor most probably anyone else will heed this advice,because you always "KNOW" that your Guy/Gal,is "different"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

What makes you think he is Dominican`??? just assuming??

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Make a claim with your bank, as if the card was stolen>>>ASAP you might get lucky. I "lost" my debit card which has a Visa logo last year in La Vega, and I got back every last penny from B of A.

You really should leave the country, or go to another city @ this point, you are not going to recover anything from this scumbag other than revenge.

farfromhome

Apr 14, 2012
This is what I got at the fiscal in Puerto Plata .
You are together ,you are a couple ,its a relationship problem.
Not going to help.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Of course, he may not be Dominican? Unfortunately, the thought never occured to me. I apologize. But if you're in a relationship together, and he has your pin code, then the court is not going to side with anyone...unless he admits wrong doing.

You could have offered more information about him and the type of relationship you two have together at the begining.

FRank

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
yes what makes you think he,s Dominican, cos he,s not!

Unless one of you has a Cedula, the Fiscal could care less about this then. You might have mentioned in your OP that this was your BF from home. There is more to this story than you are telling us, I have lost interest in this. GOOD LUCK.

farfromhome

Apr 14, 2012
No worries Frank, its not really relevant to me what Nationality he his .
I just don,t want to give up and write it all off as a big mistake until I have tried every avenue.

farfromhome

Apr 14, 2012
Unless one of you has a Cedula, the Fiscal could care less about this then. You might have mentioned in your OP that this was your BF from home. There is more to this story than you are telling us, I have lost interest in this. GOOD LUCK.

really!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
too bad you didn't have him arrested when he was still in possession of your stolen passport. that might be a bigger issue.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
This novela has more holes in it than Jarlsberg cheese!
Take this to Judge Judy, maybe you will get some TV time.

MOD: PLEASE MOVE THIS FROM TECHNICAL HELP TO THE CLOWN BIN!

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
See peeps?? there are more low lifes out there, and they are not all Dominican. This chica brought her low life on vacation with her.

farfromhome

Apr 14, 2012
This novela has more holes in it than Jarlsberg cheese!
Take this to Judge Judy, maybe you will get some TV time.

MOD: PLEASE MOVE THIS FROM TECHNICAL HELP TO THE CLOWN BIN!

If the moderator wants to move it so be it.
Don,t understand why YOU have to be so nasty!
I would have hoped people on here would at least be polite!

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
No worries Frank, its not really relevant to me what Nationality he his .
I just don,t want to give up and write it all off as a big mistake until I have tried every avenue.

It does matter.

The best chance to recover your money is with your cc company.

Much of what the cc company will say depends on if he's ever used the card before.

You don't tell us how long you've been in the DR, but the police are not there to help to you. Dominicans don't generally go to the police for help. But they can be creative in getting "justice."

I know you are upset. Focus on getting the jerk out of your life.

You are lucky he just went for your money and not get physical with you. You are in a foreign country. It could have gotten horribly worse.

Go to somewhere he isn't, enjoy the beach, when you get home try a small court claim if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.