Is the DR better where you came from?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have noticed many times in threads discussing what ails the DR responses made by posters comparing the situation to other places are discouraged if not deleted. Furthermore, some posters make a point of ostracizing others for comparing the DR to other places.

This strikes me as odd to say the least and not the least bit realistic because we don't live in a "vacuum". After all history has shown that when people leave any country or area it is generally because they wanted to improve their condition. For example, those who came to the US from Europe were looking for economic opportunity or wanted to get away from religious or political strife.

Therefore, I think it is certainly relevant to have a perspective when discussing the DR's problems. With that in mind, I was wondering how the DR compares to other poster's countries?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The place doesn't matter; the person does.

I create my happiness and satisfaction. The place doesn't.

The place is merely a prop in a person's Life Story.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Compared to U.S. infrastructure (roads, utilities, emergency support, healthcare) is significantly worse in DR.
Compared to U.S. getting accurate news reports is significantly more difficult if not impossible in DR.
Compared to U.S. personal safety is more of an issue in DR.
Compared to U.S. self reliance, caution, and use of common sense is more important in DR.
Compared to U.S. food selection is more limited in DR.
Compared to U.S. lifestyle for me is significantly better in DR.
Compared to U.S. DR is seldom boring.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004

So, why'd you go to the expense to move here if the 'where' isn't important?

For me, at least, the characteristics of the 'where' help nurture the style of happiness and satisfaction I desire. The 'where' for me, is important. I might be happy and satisfied in Nome, Alaska... but it's not what I want.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
So, why'd you go to the expense to move here if the 'where' isn't important?

For me, at least, the characteristics of the 'where' help nurture the style of happiness and satisfaction I desire. The 'where' for me, is important. I might be happy and satisfied in Nome, Alaska... but it's not what I want.
Primarily business and family.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Economically and educational wise the DR is better for us.

{ Non relevant babble removed }

Here in Santiago the people are the same as everywhere and are worried for their safety. Still, most feel safe who aren't involved in high profile or risky businesses. There is some fear by those who ride motor bikes like myself and that is a concern of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Borrowing CFA123's comments and adding to and modifying them:

Compared to U.S. infrastructure (roads, utilities, emergency support, health care) is significantly to much worse in DR.
Compared to U.S. getting accurate news reports is significantly more difficult if not impossible in DR.
Compared to U.S. personal safety is more of an issue in DR.
Compared to U.S. self reliance, caution, and use of common sense is more important in DR.
Compared to U.S. food selection is far more limited in DR.
Compared to U.S. lifestyle for me is different in DR.
Compared to U.S. DR is seldom boring.
Compared to U.S. it is less expensive to live in the DR, but the differences are diminishing over time
Compared to California, the weather is worse in the DR.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Self reliance and not wanting to be "Big Brothers" lamb is a huge plus for the right people in the DR. After 7 years, you couldn't convince me to move back to "The Land that used to be Free and used to be Brave" Where we live here, there is less crime, fewer vehicular accidents a cleaner environment,etc. Corruption? No more than in the U.S. just more blatant. If the DR was more like the U.S. I probably wouldn't want to live here either.

Believe it or not CC, there are people that like the DR more than the US. Count me in that group.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Then you moved "From" something,not TOO Something???
That makes you a "Former Disgruntled Resisdent"!
But you probably still get your money from, "The Great Satan",just like "Chump"?????
"Believe it or not "BOY", there are people in the DR that can't afford to leave,DON"T count me in THAT group.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
If the DR were more like the US,I wouldn't have anything to "Bitch" about!!!
I don't pay USA Taxes!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well, my wife has been baxk in Jarabacoa since February , after living in Canada since 1999. Every night when she phones me I can hear her frustration. People don't show up on time, they do crap work, government is bad, when it rains there is no tap water, ....etc. If only Canada didn't have winter.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

Objectively where I come from has a lot going for it. Almost zero crime rate, almost full employment, one of the most prosperous places on earth, free education and health systems, and a diverse community that is generally tolerant and harmonious.

...I was about to continue saying something on the lines of CB's post, which I can relate to, but I think I've just talked myself into moving back!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
poland is way better than DR when it comes to economy, education and infrastructure.
poland is way better that DR when it comes to public services: police, hospitals and so on.
politically they are quite similar, that is every single politician should be sold into slavery in a tajikistanian brothel.
bureaucracy is similarily confusing and hateful in both poland and DR. cilil servants should be send to dushanbe along with politicians.

in many ways DR reminds me of communist poland:
constant power problems (we used to "sell" most of our coal to our friendly eastern neighbour)
thriving corruption (not that there isn't much of that still but it was more colourful back in the day)
nearly impossible to get out of (passports were difficult to obtain and had to be returned to public offices after travelling)
poor kept dumb and ignorant (not because of lack of education but because of the control over information)

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Then you moved "From" something,not TOO Something???
That makes you a "Former Disgruntled Resisdent"!
But you probably still get your money from, "The Great Satan",just like "Chump"?????
"Believe it or not "BOY", there are people in the DR that can't afford to leave,DON"T count me in THAT group.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
If the DR were more like the US,I wouldn't have anything to "Bitch" about!!!
I don't pay USA Taxes!

I got tired of the U.S. and the ever increasing intrusion into personal choice, moved to the DR and enjoy it. Different, you bet. For everyone, definitely not.

For the life of me, I can't understand people that seem to be such
"Disgruntled Resisdent"
(Residents?) of the DR and stay here. It's not going to change in your lifetime and all your bitching just adds to the stress that will help kill you.

If I disliked it as much as some seem to, I'd have been long gone. Then again, maybe some people couldn't be happy anywhere.

And no "COLON", I don't get money from the U.S.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011

NOT AT ALL!

The place or / and it's people do matter. I've only been here for not more than 60 days and I already know I can't do this for a year!

Maybe if I replace with taking the bus with owning a car, a lot of irritation would go away. Cos no, I don't own a car.

I'm taking the underground in London, pretty messed up but it's okay.. no biggie.

I'm taking the bus in Miami also, most of the time I'm having a good time because everybody is polite and willing to have a conversation with you.

I'm taking the bus, or those mini vans here in Santo Domingo.. boy o boy. Too much to mention. (and no, I don't have that type of money to take the taxi all the time)

The above is just a one of the many things that are fckng up my experience.

Yeah, Santo Domingo has good weather and girls to die for.. but Miami has that too and it comes with many more benefits than Santo Domingo or the Santo Domingo I experience to keep it fair.

Also for an example, I just like to walk around with my chain and watch, I never have to worry about getting your chain snatched in Miami.. but here I can't do that.

And then again, it is indeed the life you're living.. if you're living in a resort everything you need is there and you ain't getting involved with the daily BS that much and if you're a millionaire the place indeed doesn't matter.

But for me personally, nah..

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
poland is way better than DR when it comes to economy, education and infrastructure.
poland is way better that DR when it comes to public services: police, hospitals and so on.
politically they are quite similar, that is every single politician should be sold into slavery in a tajikistanian brothel.
bureaucracy is similarily confusing and hateful in both poland and DR. cilil servants should be send to dushanbe along with politicians.

in many ways DR reminds me of communist poland:
constant power problems (we used to "sell" most of our coal to our friendly eastern neighbour)
thriving corruption (not that there isn't much of that still but it was more colourful back in the day)
nearly impossible to get out of (passports were difficult to obtain and had to be returned to public offices after travelling)
poor kept dumb and ignorant (not because of lack of education but because of the control over information)

LOL, really!?!? I don't know nothing about Poland at all, but don't come with that BS that Poland economy is way better than the DR. You know how many Polish people are living in London and The Netherlands (and maybe / of course other western European countries) to have a better life!

I mean, to be a "better" country than the DR doesn't take much.. but come on now. Way better!?!?!

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
When we moved here we were told about the "2 year rule" those that can't or don't want to cut it are gone within 2 years. We've seen them come and go in 7 years. Oh well. To each their own, but why live somewhere that's not a good fit for "you". There is no right or wrong in this, everyone should seek their own "paradise" where ever and what ever that may be. Life's too short, gotta be happy!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I got tired of my "Eyes Burning" in the US,every time I wanted to have sex with an 18 year old girl!
I never have that problem here.
Must have been the "Pepper Spray"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
I got tired of my "Eyes Burning" in the US,every time I wanted to have sex with an 18 year old girl!
I never have that problem here.
Must have been the "Pepper Spray"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
CoCoNut.............. get flexible....

Life is not a straight line........... at least not for CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Flexible?

CoCoNut.............. get flexible....

Life is not a straight line........... at least not for CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

...To each their own, but why live somewhere that's not a good fit for "you". There is no right or wrong in this, everyone should seek their own "paradise" where ever and what ever that may be. Life's too short, gotta be happy!

IMHO I think that is pretty flexible. Perhaps the inflexibility of others makes for a very erratic line. Seems to be a recurrent theme from CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC.