Fort Liberte?

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
A college friend whose family is from there invited me to visit her there some time. I have no idea how you would get to that place from Santiago though. As far as I know you cannot take a car from the DR into Haiti, and if I did I would probably get jacked since it is a new car. I guess I would need to take the bus to Dajabon and another from the other side of the border to Fort Liberte?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
It is less than an hour from Dajabon/Ounaminthe.
Get on a tap-tap for next to nothing.
Not much to see, from what I remember but that was a couple of years ago.

By the way, if you go with that ignorant attitude then you deserve to get jacked.

Again, leave your attitude at the border or you will be eaten alive.
Literally by voudou cannibals.
Be very afraid.

kinostar

May 24, 2012
Yes, Caribe Tours goes to Dajabon. From the station you are about five blocks to the border. After clearing the Haitian post, you are sort of in a nothing place....but don't be alarmed, it is a not so long a walk to the center of Ouanaminthe and you can take a moto taxi to the bus station if you like. You can get transportation onward.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
I was in Ft Liberte two months ago. Very little movement, almost like a semi ghost town. Very different from Oumaminthe. And your " ignorant attitude" will serve you well. Be careful. K

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've driven into Haiti a couple of times and had no problem. Why don't you see if someone could meet you at Juana Mendez and then you could drive from there to Ft Liberte and then return on your own?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've driven into Haiti a couple of times and had no problem. Why don't you see if someone could meet you at Juana Mendez and then you could drive from there to Ft Liberte and then return on your own? You just need to verify how much they will charge you at the border leaving and returning.