Presidente Is Now Heineken

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]Friday, April 13, the Dutch brewer 'Heineken' took over the Dominican brewer 'Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana' which brings the well-known brand 'Presidente' on the market. With the acquisition an amount of 1.6 billion dollars changes hands. Of these 1.6 billion $ 300 million has to be handed over to the Dominican government as a tax contribution. The company Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana brings next to the famous Presidente beer also Presidente Light, Bohemia, Bohemia Light, The One, Corona, Brisa, Miller and Miller 64 on the Dominican market. The spokesman of Heineken reassured the staff that there will not be any layoffs and for now no changes are expected for the workforce.[/h][h=5]On the contrary, as expected, the production of national beers Presidente and Bohemia will increase now because of the advantage of the global distribution network of Heineken.[/h]

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Great news!! Presidente definitely will benefit from that!!! Concerning the tax contribution of $300 million, it would be great if a large chunk of that will go towards education etc. and will not end up in the pockets of the other Presidente and associates.:rolleyes:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Amazing that Sosua News gets the scoop before the Dominican national papers, Reuters, the Wall Street Journal etc! This was in the DR1 news on Friday and the buyer was still not confirmed, although an announcement expected Monday.

Sale of Presidente getting closer

Speculation is rife in the case of the sale of Presidente Beer to foreign beer companies. The sale is imminent, sources say, but the buyer has still not been confirmed. A local website elsiglo21.com announced that Heineken, that was a shareholder of the Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana (CND) brewery with 10% share, would be the buyer, in a US$1.6 billion deal. Earlier Wall Street Journal had speculated that Anheuser-Busch InBev NV (and its local affiliate AmBev) would be the buyer of the Presidente Beer brewery. The elsiglo21.com website says that the deal would be signed on Monday, 16 April. El Siglo reported that the deal was handled by Bank of America as financial advisor together with financial consultant Cynthia Vega and the local firm CT Vega y Asociados.

As reported, the government would receive a windfall of no less than US$300 million in taxes, according ot the report.

CND, founded in 1929, is one of several companies owned by Grupo Leon Jimenes, one of the Dominican Republic's largest companies, which also owns cigar companies and banking operations.

In addition to its Presidente and Bohemia brands, CND also distributes Miller and Corona beers in the Dominican Republic. CND operates a number of breweries in the region, including in Antigua and the British Virgin Islands. It also makes and sells malt, rum and other beverages in the Dominican Republic.

Anheuser Leads Bids for Presidente Brewer - WSJ.com

AB InBev lead bidder for Dominican brewer - WSJ | Reuters

Asumen viernes 13 control CND; compran acciones Le?n Jimenes

Matilda

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
$300,000,000 to the Dominican gubmint.

WOW!

That is a LOT of jeepetas and cabanas....

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
the best thing about this is maybe they'll sell Presidente, (the beer, not the person - who evidently has already been bought and paid for), in those VERY cool little mini - kegs that fit in a refrigerator or cooler the same way they sell Henieken

imgres

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Actually the thread should read: Presidente is now Budweiser since Heineken is a subsidiary of AnheuserBush/Inbev.

Nothing will change about the beer, they're just in better shape distribution wise and the cost of delivery will keep the prices stable, make the brand more available and increase profitability.

The Reuters article (thanks, Matilda) did state that the bid price from AB/InBev was around $2.5 Million.

I wonder where the other $900,000,000 got to? A few new SUV's maybe?

AB InBev lead bidder for Dominican brewer - WSJ | Reuters

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Heineken is Heineken, subsidiary of noone, I think 3rd biggest brewer in the world. AB InBev is the biggest brewer in the world, merger of Belgian Interbrew, Brasilian Ambev and American Anheuser Busch.

I had heard Heineken bought CND but there are lots of rumors it was AB InBev.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The current administration was probably sweating getting that deal
....... signed, sealed and delivered before the election.

Just in case!

$300,000,000 to the Dominican gubmint.

WOW!

That is a LOT of jeepetas and cabanas....

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
While this is good news, I am assuming Presidente beer will be available in the international market at some point. Again great for the lovers of this beer but it leaves me to wonder. For many who travel here Presidente had a allure about it. How many times have I had heard people say " can't wait for my first Presidente ". I know it is available in certain areas of the US but it was always the one comment I heard over and over, I can't wait to get to DR and have a " fria ". Just made the DR a little more special for some. Again just my opinion.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What will actually change for the ordinary consumer?

That is a very good question. I don't expect they will change the formulas of the various beers such as Presidente, Bohemia, etc. The price might change. The style of the marketing efforts and locations where it is sold will almost certainly change.
The various beers of Heineken may become more available in the DR (especially if they brew more of them here).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Diario Libre is reporting that a family source has said that leading executives are in Brazil to sign with A-B InBev. Wall Street Journal reported $3.5 billion...which seems a lot to me...
Anyway, it's a done deal. Brahma and Presidente under one roof...

HB