u.s. dollar/canadian dollar

R

reeves, flora

Does anyone know what the u.s. $ is worth to buy d.r. pesos.

We are just wondering if we should buy u.s. $ or take canadian.

Anyone know where you can get a good rate to exchange, please advise. We are going for a month on February 6/99.

G

Garry

Hi Flora! I have read previous posts on this subject which idicated that there is no advantage to exchanging US money to pesos in the Dominican. If you convert your Canadian dollars to US cash yoou will only be paying an extra service charge. Don't forget you will need 10USD for departure tax though. If anyone has info to the contrary, please post as I am getting cash for my trip today. Thanks

N

Nadine Dachdjian

Last week, the exchange rate in Sos?a was the following: 1 CAN$=9.8 or 9.9 pesos 1 US$=15.5 pesos I have been to Sos?a a few times, sometimes with CAN dollars only, others with CAN and US dollars and I didn't found any advantage of bringing US$ (except for the 10 US$ departure tax). Hope you have a wonderful time in DR. Nadine

R

reeves, flora

thanks Nadine for your response. We go every year and usually bring U.S. Dollars but this year I don't think I will bother. I wasn't sure what the exchange rate was. Now I have something to work with.

Thanks.

K

Kareng

As per all responses, they are correct. The only advantage to taking Canadian dollars is, of course, economic reasons, but the Canadian dollar is more or less at par with the DR peso. e.g. $1.00 Cdn = 9.8 pesos, therefore, you should be able to do the math on the 10's, making for less confusion and less headaches that would come with trying to calculate the peso to US$ to CDN$. So when doing your math when making a purchase, lets say in a disco buying a beer for 350 peso - well then you know you are paying appox $3.50 Cdn. When buying dinner for 2000 peso - well then it is appox $20.00 Cdn. I've been to the DR several times and don't want to spend alot of time worrying about conversion of money. Canadian funds are excepted almost everywhere, and there are banking machines all around the tourist areas, that way you don't need to carry alot of cash. One thing to remember, you will need $10.00 US for departure fees. Have fun, relax and try to leave all your stress and headaches here in the cold.

J

JENNIFER

Hi Flora! As like everyone else as mentioned the Canadian Money is the best! I would However like to mention that if you plan on taking any of the tours(such as Rum Runners)They will only take American money! We tried to get them to take Canadian but it was a no win situation! It was still worth it but I thought I should mention it in case other tours were the same way with American/Canadian money! Have a great trip! I wish I could go for a month!! Even a week would be great right about now!

M

Mike

Kareng, If $1.00 Can.= 10pesos(approx.) then your beer and meal were awful expensive. 350pesos would be $35.00 Can. and 2000pesos would be $200.00 Can. The easy way to convert(approx.) is just remove the last numeral of the peso number. Eg. 467pesos is close to $46.00 Can.

A

Andy

Re: to Mike, about $CND or $US.

Hey Mike, No offence, but your math teacher should be shot, for no reason other then.......move over one decimal. Andy

C

Charlie

Re: attn. Karen u.s. dollar/canadian dollar

OOPS!!! Karen only paid 35 pesos for her beer and 200 pesos for the dinner. For $100 CDN you get approx. 1000 pesos. $10 = 100 pesos Just take CDN funds and you will feel that you have more spending money and will not lose in the conversion.

E

Eliana

I am sorry to say that Reeves-Flora got his math all wrong. You will never pay a beer, in a disco or any other place, 350 pesos. It is rather 30-35 pesos which is equivalent to $3.00-$3.50 CDN dollars. You can come to DR with your CDN dollars, you will save the US currency exchange. As mentioned, you only need $10.00US per person for your departure tax. The amount of pesos you will get for your CDN dollars is proportionally equal to the amount you would get for US dollars, so don't bother to exchange CDN to US (except for your departure tax - don't forget). Have a wonderful vacation. Eliana