Cost of Natural gas....is this correct?

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Natural gas in the DR is charged per cubic meter. Right now it is $25DR per cubic meter.

1 cubic meter = 264 gallons

So $25 pesos DR buys you 1 cubic meter, or 264 gallons? Multiplying gives the cost of natural gas per gallon as about $0.09RD per gallon. Is this right? The only offset of this would be if natural gas' mpg is 10x that of gasoline. Has anyone here priced a professional install of a natural gas system on their vehicle?

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
The problem with gas is how it is measured.
A cubuc meter at 10 psi or a cubuc meter at 1000 psi if possible.
That is why some people look at the weight difference of products being filled with gas.
I do not know exactly at what pressure it will be pumped in your vehicle;)

However your vehicle will use a lot more gallons than when running on gasoline.
It will even use a lot more than when running on Liquid Propane (LPG)

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
The problem with gas is how it is measured.
A cubuc meter at 10 psi or a cubuc meter at 1000 psi if possible.
That is why some people look at the weight difference of products being filled with gas.
I do not know exactly at what pressure it will be pumped in your vehicle;)

Yeah that is what I figured. Its just way too cheap, lol.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
AND if the engine was designed for gasoline, the performance will be abysmal.

Jan 9, 2004
Natural gas in the DR is charged per cubic meter. Right now it is $25DR per cubic meter.

1 cubic meter = 264 gallons

So $25 pesos DR buys you 1 cubic meter, or 264 gallons? Multiplying gives the cost of natural gas per gallon as about $0.09RD per gallon. Is this right? The only offset of this would be if natural gas' mpg is 10x that of gasoline. Has anyone here priced a professional install of a natural gas system on their vehicle?

Right now the cost of CNG versus gasoline in the form of a GGE (gasoline gallon equivalent) varies from 1/3 to 1/2 below the cost of a gallon of gasoline for the end user.

The cost is subject to the price of cng, oil, transportation, state, local taxes etc. In order to determine individual benefits, one must factor in the cost of conversion or to buy a vehicle originally built to handle cng, the number of anticipated miles to be driven, and the price between the two fuels.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
So are those factors relevant to the DR or are the American numbers?
Thanks
Der Fish

Hopefully when cng takes hold it will be priced in gge, which will make price comparison easy. Until then there are multiple conversions depending on how it is sold, i.e., by weight, volume, etc.

Keeping it as simple as possible and using the price quoted by the OP per cubic meter as 25 pesos......the calculation would be 25 pesos multiplied by 3.587...or approximately 89.675 pesos per gge. With regular gasolione at/near 213.80 pesos, cng is over 50% cheaper...for now. Of course that assumes the government raises or lowers gas/cng prices in tandom. Lots of other variables, but I think that answers your question.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
Are their automobiles with engines designed to run on cng?

Yes. Honda has a Civic NGV and has been making it for years. The Big Three (Chrysler/Ford/GM) have announced that they will begin producing some of their models in a cng version. The technology has been around for years...it is the infrastructure (cng filling stations) that kept cng from being viable....all the while powerful interests behind Ethanol kept cng off the radar screen.

Then the convergence of technology, high oil prices and low nat gas prices combined to really give cng a boost in the last year or so. There are currently two nat gas export terminals being built...making the US in 2015 a net exporter of cng.

Keeping this DR related, the export terminal being built in Sabine Pass, Louisiana has sold forward all of its supply to a British company that currently supplies the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Interesting. Is it any more dangerous than using propane. I have been using propane for quita a while and no problem. With the odorizer in the gas you smell a leak instantly and the tank is well installed.

Jan 9, 2004
Interesting. Is it any more dangerous than using propane. I have been using propane for quita a while and no problem. With the odorizer in the gas you smell a leak instantly and the tank is well installed.

Lots of studies have been done and they point to cng as being safer than propane. Cng is all gas while propane is a mixture of gas, butane, etc.

Cng burns much cleaner than gasoline or diesel and for those who purchase a cng vehicle, you can expect to get "diesel like" qualities on your engine, i.e. expect them to last twice what is expected of a conventional gas engine.

As I stated earlier, the problem is in the infrastructure buildout. Without the necessary stations, it is a great ride until the low fuel indicator light comes on.

The US will build out enough filling stations by early 2013 such that long haul trucks using our interstates will be able to go coast to coast. The DR is on a rapid expansion with cng stations (and for that they do deserve credit).

I would not rush out just yet to buy a cng vehicle, but in 2-3 years you will really see the numbers increase dramatically.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would not rush out just yet to buy a cng vehicle, but in 2-3 years you will really see the numbers increase dramatically.

Why not? Everyone who buys one increases the demand for stations, and that in turn sells more vehicles etc... Chicken and egg thing. Who'd buy a cell phone when the only service in Florida was along I95? I did. And if no one had the service would not have been extended to more and more places etc... Same with internet and even a long time ago TV. Don't buy a TV because who will put a program on the TV to watch? Wait a few years, and if noone had bought one nobody would have made programming for them etc...
Der Fish

Some people like to be the first to acquire new technology. Being a technologist myself, I do not like to be the first in line to buy the next thing. If you have sufficient CNG filling stations in your area,then it might make sense to be an early buyer of a CNG powered vehicle, otherwise you could be going nowhere fast in it.

Jan 9, 2004
Why not? Everyone who buys one increases the demand for stations, and that in turn sells more vehicles etc... Chicken and egg thing. Who'd buy a cell phone when the only service in Florida was along I95? I did. And if no one had the service would not have been extended to more and more places etc... Same with internet and even a long time ago TV. Don't buy a TV because who will put a program on the TV to watch? Wait a few years, and if noone had bought one nobody would have made programming for them etc...
Der Fish

Your point is well taken.

However, unless you live, work, and play in Santo Domingo/Santiago (for the moment), you better have the number of a reliable tow truck operator handy. Thus my statement, because at the pace of cng station adoption...in 2-3 years the Island may well be covered with enough cng stations to make Island travel on cng a reality.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2