Negligent Father or worse

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
The story in DR 1 news today from Santiago, father leaves small daughter in car while he goes to work...........FORGOT ABOUT HER. I feel sick over this. How the hell can you forget your daughter is in the car???? poor child died an agonizing death.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I've seen shows on this as I often wondered the same thing.

Usually happens when there is something out of a person's routine (changing cars, different schedule). Before we all say how it would never happen to us--it does--it happens to caring parents and it's devastating, when it does.

Good Washington Post article about it (which I can't seem to post, now)

The statistics are not good.

Children left in hot cars; Parents forgetting children in hot cars

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It is a horrific lapse but it does happen - I've seen similar news reports in Italy, Spain and UK too I think.

I don't think the father should be prosecuted though, as the report suggests, to make an example - what punishment could be worse than what he is already experiencing?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I haven't read the story and I really don't want for obvious reason and so I won't. But from the OP this is absolutely heartbreaking, I can't imagine how this could happen, for a full work shift? I won't even leave the dogs in the car while I pop into a shop incase I have an accident and am taken to hospital and no one knows the dogs are there. And obviously the same goes for my daughter goes without saying.
I can't imagine the heartache this has caused, and she must have gone through so much, so sad. You've got to wonder how people can believe there is a god when these things happen.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
I've seen shows on this as I often wondered the same thing.

Usually happens when there is something out of a person's routine (changing cars, different schedule). Before we all say how it would never happen to us--it does--it happens to caring parents and it's devastating, when it does.

Good Washington Post article about it (which I can't seem to post, now)

The statistics are not good.

Children left in hot cars; Parents forgetting children in hot cars[/QUOTE

Excellent article La Rubia. I must say I was shocked to learn how often this happens. Im going to make it a point to glance at cars now. I know that sounds paranoid and maybe even some with think I am violating some kind of privacy thing, but I don`t care. If it saves a child, adult, animal then its worth it. Guess Im feeling more emotional today, this story has gotten to me.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I wouldn't worry, I've put car windows in to get dogs out before in the UK and Spain (but the owners are very unlikely to be carrying guns in Europe), I've never chanced it in DR, but as there are relatively few dogs worthy of a car journey it doesn't come up much if ever (rapping my brains thinking and can't when I've come across it in DR).

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It is a horrific lapse but it does happen - I've seen similar news reports in Italy, Spain and UK too I think.

I don't think the father should be prosecuted though, as the report suggests, to make an example - what punishment could be worse than what he is already experiencing?

The guy is dying from the inside out. It's sad.

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
I don't think there is any punishment worse than what this poor father is suffering already. Tragic.

Ella

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Is punishment the answer here? to make an example of him? that is a difficult call, but if the case gets enough airtime (which it won't) it might be worth it. Although it sounds like he may have broke routine in his day and somehow.........................
I imagine he wants to be punished right now.

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
It was an accident... a horrible, tragic, devastating accident. Usually, when this happens in other countries, charges are not laid. I cannot see how charging this poor man is going to be a deterrent to anyone else. It would just be pouring salt in an already huge, gaping, painful wound. Just cruelty on top of agony.