More cholera in the DR

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Just read this in DR news.

Cases of cholera reported in Santiago

Santiago public hospitals are reporting cases of severe diarrhea, with 40 confirmed cases of cholera. Over the weekend, 28 people were hospitalized in the province. The outbreak caught doctors at the Tamboril hospital by surprise, and some patients were being hydrated while seated, as all beds were occupied. The epidemiologist at the center, Felix Martinez says that the areas where the cases have been reported are El Arenazo, Canca La Piedra, Los Polanco, Nigua, Centro de Tamboril and Villa Progreso, where brigades have been sent to give advice and guidance to residents in order to prevent further cases. At a private hospital, Union Medica, Dr. Daniel Rivera said that cases had come from Tamboril. He called on the authorities to launch a thorough prevention program to prevent the disease from spreading. The outbreak has coincided with the recent heavy rains in Santiago.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
(Deleted because it was stupid. Cholera is just not a laughing matter, dude!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The fact is that there is a cholera outbreak in the area of Tamboril. Water from the rains. Just a little bit of carelessness.

Remember that this will not go away for decades...this is a very nasty and persistent disease. Lots of hand washing!!!

HB

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
(You are wrong on so many planes: (1) no reason to use derogatory names for the OP, that is uncalled for and not nice.(2) Calling attention to an item in DR1 news is nothing new and certainly not a bad thing, since a lot of people do not read the news. (3) This is not trumpeting something like Chicken Little. (4) It is not High Season so few tourists could possible be scared away. (5) Cholera is NOT just a disease of the barrios. Because of the rains--as I noted--there is a lot of infected water; you only need one carrier to infect a lot of water. Nobody has ever said that cholera was eradicated here. It is here and just a little bit of carelessness can produce an outbreak. (6) This is the center of the Cibao--Tamboril and its environs-- we are talking about, not the tourist areas.) And if you continue this discourse you will be asked to take a rest. Please.

HB

(Deleted because it was stupid. Cholera is just not a laughing matter, dude!)

Last edited by a moderator:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Good to know

Frank (...) putting this out there to scare away the traveling public is not funny.
Frank just reminded people what was actually on DR1 News.
I do not think the purpose was to instill fear in tourists.
Full information is good so that people can make wise decisions.

This is a disease of the ghetto, not the tourist areas!
Whenever cholera was detected here there were usually cases in hotels and other tourists places as well.

And how about malaria?
In La Barbacoa (part of Las Terrenas) there are a good number of malaria cases at this time.
Peri?dico diario de informaciones y publicidades

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
"They" must be Sr. Bautista Rojas G?mez... :tired:
(I do not know him personally but would not buy a used car from him. :cheeky: )

Dice est? controlado brote c?lera en Cibao - ElNacional.com.do

Yes, one just has to replace the word "c?lera" for "agua contaminada" and all is good.

donP

Rojas is the Health Minister, who would you have us believe? Not to mention that a sewer line overflowed because of the heavy rains and contaminated a water line. Oh yeah, it's a conspiracy because Dominicans can't tell the truth.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Actually this makes more sense. While diarrhea can kill undernourished or poorly nourished persons, cholera is much more violent.

Years ago Santiago had a similar problem and the hospitals and clinics filled up with patients with diarrhea.

In fact, after some persons (including most of the nation's bishops) ate some tainted meat at a gala dinner, they also filled up the clinics. One person I knew well actually fainted in the bathroom from the violent nature of his diarrhea, so it could be "just diarrhea".

Let's hope for the best and be careful of what you put in your mouth. Wash your hands a lot.

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The problem in Tamboril is a common one of flooding that happens in the States when a sewer main overflows and could possibly cross contaminate a water line due to suction. While relatively few people drink water out of the tap here the contamination can occur just by brushing one's teeth.

This is all easily resolved by the Health Minister putting out the alert in areas where a sewer main has overflowed to have people either boil the water they use before preparing any foods or use bottled water for said. Likewise, for brushing ones teeth bottled water is to be used and for bathing care one should not to wet one's face.

Kuat

Apr 17, 2012
Luckily it is not cholera they are now saying, just contaminated water. Well that's all right then!

Water is contaminated with cholera bacterias.

And no, you can not get vaccinated against it.

Jesus, what a truly 3rd world sh1thole. And to think i was seriously thinking of relocating to DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Water is contaminated with cholera bacterias.

And no, you can not get vaccinated against it.

Jesus, what a truly 3rd world sh1thole. And to think i was seriously thinking of relocating to DR.

Yes there is a vacine for Cholera- from India and you can get Cholera in the USA. yES, BETTER YOU STAY IN YOUR COMFORT ZONE.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sorry To Report "CHIP",It IS Cholora!!!!!

DESPITE your inaccurate,and dangerous advice to "Just Boil Your Water",231 cases of COLORA have been reported by "Salud Publica" in Santiago!
"Diario Libre" Tuesday 17 April,page 12.(Look "up",then look "left"..Find it yet????
Comparing the "Flooding that takes place in the USA,to Santiago",ONLY verifies your "Anti US,Pro DR" Persnal Agenda!
So just keep "Washing Your Hands,and "Boiling Your Water",and "All Will Be Right With The lord"????
I would prefer that the DR install sewage systems,and "Maybe",just "Maybe" "potable Water"?????
Like there is in the "USA"!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
It's also "comforting" to know that if you are "sick" in Tamboril,just go to the hospital.But, be sure to arrive early,of the 39 patients who went,only 29 got a bed!!!
If they had only listened to chip,and "Boiled" their water!

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
I picked up cholera in Puerto Rico once.

Though most Americans don't know it, they can find cholera endemic in the Gulf States of the U.S. Check your PDR. Yet you haven't heard of anyone who has caught it, have you? Modern public medicine and ubequitous modern sewage systems have put cholera, a 19 century bugbear, out of business in "western" countries.

However inexcusable, one can nonetheless contract it even in American territory. I simply hied myself to the local clinic where they rapidly rehydrated me, counseled me and sent me on my way at no charge. Lesson?

Public health facilities exist everywhere just in order to stem contagion. Use them in the DR too.