oh help again beautiful people! straight DHL or Banker's Trust???

Wildly Organic

Aug 6, 2009
what to do.....need to make a decision today.sending a big fat mega bucks camera to the DR.do I go with Dhl straight away or through Bankers Tust in Sosua which is like I dunno a good days drive from the package destination and would be another $150.

question is WHAT do they charge a tDR customs and do they charge if it is a gift?

brain is seriously exhausted

:bunny:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
what to do.....need to make a decision today.sending a big fat mega bucks camera to the DR.do I go with Dhl straight away or through Bankers Tust in Sosua which is like I dunno a good days drive from the package destination and would be another $150.

question is WHAT do they charge a tDR customs and do they charge if it is a gift?

brain is seriously exhausted

:bunny:

A few of us told you what to do, be patient for a day or two and someone will eventually volunteer to bring it down.
You will either be charged out the wazoo to ship it or it is going to disappear like Houdini.
Meanwhile, opening up new threads is not going to get it shipped any faster now is it?

Wildly Organic

Aug 6, 2009
A few of us told you what to do, be patient for a day or two and someone will eventually volunteer to bring it down.
You will either be charged out the wazoo to ship it or it is going to disappear like Houdini.
Meanwhile, opening up new threads is not going to get it shipped any faster now is it?

I am not sure I understand you...at all...I just give an expensive camera to a complete stranger to "volunteer" to deliver it to another.And I came here to ask for ideas, advice and experience and I appreciate all of it. definitely not to be told what to do. or told how many threads I should start. and by the way telling a complete stranger "a few of us told you what to do" is rude and condescending. I wll take the advice on patience.you should consider mine.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Twentytwo hundred dollars for camera and lens is expensive but not overly so and I would say that you have a MUCH better chance for everything to arrive if you use a long time, well established poster to these forums as your delivery service rather than DHL or anything else that has to go through customs. No one would suggest that you give it to a newbie that no one here really knows but there are several people that have been on here for years that are extremely kind and trustworthy and have probably taken things for others that cost more than 2,200 usd. Also gift or not doesn't matter to customs and if you really need it by a certain date and they figure that out - uuufff it is no holds barred on customs charges.
For example our first year living in DR my mom sent my daughter her Halloween costume. In order to liberate it before Halloween the customs charge was equal to the cost of the costume. I am sure that I could have negotiated and that the charge would have dropped significantly on November 1 but I had already taken my mom's only grandchild to a foreign country - no way would I have denied her photos of my daughter in the costume she had sewn for her trick or treating at the school event so I gritted my teeth and paid up. That is just how it goes here sometimes.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I am not sure I understand you...at all...I just give an expensive camera to a complete stranger to "volunteer" to deliver it to another.And I came here to ask for ideas, advice and experience and I appreciate all of it. definitely not to be told what to do. or told how many threads I should start. and by the way telling a complete stranger "a few of us told you what to do" is rude and condescending. I wll take the advice on patience.you should consider mine.

I can understand your point of view.

Why would you even consider giving a very expensive camera to a complete stranger to transport it for you to the DR?

This reasoning proves you are a smart, and intelligent person.

First of all, these kinds of transporting goods happen here all the time, on DR1, with the necessary precautions of course (making sure no illegal items are transported). It is a matter of helping each other out...

Secondly, you are talking about a very expensive camera and lens here. You told us it was for your daughter, and I appreciate you trying to help her out.

Do you mind if I ask you which kind of photography she is involved in? The reason I ask you is simple.

I have been involved in sports, requiring experts in photography... And the one thing I learned is.... It is not the camera, but the person behind it...

Unless your daughter is an extremely talented photographer, the very expensive and talented camera, will be a disadvantage, instead of an advantage to her...

Do not misunderstand me!

I am just saying that taking incredible pics with an incredible camera is a gift. Those people would have taken incredible pics with a cheap camera (admittedly, not the same quality)

BelgianK

Wildly Organic

Aug 6, 2009
Twentytwo hundred dollars for camera and lens is expensive but not overly so and I would say that you have a MUCH better chance for everything to arrive if you use a long time, well established poster to these forums as your delivery service rather than DHL or anything else that has to go through customs. No one would suggest that you give it to a newbie that no one here really knows but there are several people that have been on here for years that are extremely kind and trustworthy and have probably taken things for others that cost more than 2,200 usd. Also gift or not doesn't matter to customs and if you really need it by a certain date and they figure that out - uuufff it is no holds barred on customs charges.
For example our first year living in DR my mom sent my daughter her Halloween costume. In order to liberate it before Halloween the customs charge was equal to the cost of the costume. I am sure that I could have negotiated and that the charge would have dropped significantly on November 1 but I had already taken my mom's only grandchild to a foreign country - no way would I have denied her photos of my daughter in the costume she had sewn for her trick or treating at the school event so I gritted my teeth and paid up. That is just how it goes here sometimes.

thanks expatsooner. Yes,I know it is not like a $6,000 Canon,but regardless in my world $2200 is alot of money and if customs in DR charges whatever they want it could be a $5000 expense.Unfortunately it is needed asap for a job. not alot of choices for me and thank goodness I am sending to a Dominican.I can only hope that at least is my advantage.Still waiting one more day for a possibility of someone to take it down. otherwise its full insurance in Canada,trusted courier and alot of prayers. thanks for sharing :)

Wildly Organic

Aug 6, 2009
I can understand your point of view.

Why would you even consider giving a very expensive camera to a complete stranger to transport it for you to the DR?

This reasoning proves you are a smart, and intelligent person.

First of all, these kinds of transporting goods happen here all the time, on DR1, with the necessary precautions of course (making sure no illegal items are transported). It is a matter of helping each other out...

Secondly, you are talking about a very expensive camera and lens here. You told us it was for your daughter, and I appreciate you trying to help her out.

Do you mind if I ask you which kind of photography she is involved in? The reason I ask you is simple.

I have been involved in sports, requiring experts in photography... And the one thing I learned is.... It is not the camera, but the person behind it...

Unless your daughter is an extremely talented photographer, the very expensive and talented camera, will be a disadvantage, instead of an advantage to her...

Do not misunderstand me!

I am just saying that taking incredible pics with an incredible camera is a gift. Those people would have taken incredible pics with a cheap camera (admittedly, not the same quality)

BelgianK

Hello BelgianK ! thank you! I am a very good amateur photographer and the job my daughter is hired for is perfect for her as she is a hair stylist,esthetician,make up artist,she will be photographing tourists on the beach..bikini,little monkey,parrot lizard that sort of thing.Camera required is very specific for this job as it needs an 18-200mm lens and the company requested employees to obtain a D-90 which is obsolete now,we upgraded to a D 7000, hence the price.she is already talented as an artist and this is just another medium.she is being trained by experts in the field.I agree sports photography takes a special person portraiture is completely different :) thanks for saying I am smart,not feeling too smart lately pretty stressed out really...would love to share my photos ! take care :)

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Your daughter's new job sounds very interesting but I would have to disagree that the D90 is obsolete. I carry my D70s as one of my two primary bodies and it is still going strong. I am sure that she will love her new camera (after all who doesn't love a new camera :classic: ) but she might want to consider getting a D70 or D90 body next time she is in Canada. You might even want to consider getting it used at a pawn shop or camera shop. She will be working in a wet sandy area that can be subject to sudden rain and that contains a lot of drunks; maybe a less pricey body for use on the beach would be nice in case of accidents and she could use the D7000 at the evening shows or around the pool and grounds.
Photography is my hobby as well and I like sports photography, especially equine sports, the best. I would love to see some of your work. :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

You're right to be cautious about who you hand the camera to, I would be. At the same time, I have to tell you that we have sent cash, prescription medicines, laptops and an array of 'regular' items down with people we barely knew for decades. Literally 4 decades. This past trip we brought down several different small items from some of my husband's coworkers. We almost brought a cellphone down for a DR1er, but it couldn't arrive in time so he mailed it. It took almost 2 months to arrive.

However, now that some airlines make you pay for each suitcase [daughter flew United], or just give you one in coach [AA], it may be more difficult to find a mule, because every inch of space is precious.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Let me ask you this, do you think Hillbilly, a professor of PUCMM and resident of this island for 50 years is rude and condescending? He gave you the exact same advice IN ALL CAPS! We were all trying to save you the potential 100% tax/or theft of your equipment. Nobody ever suggested you give your preciousa camera equipment to a "stranger" , we are a big family here and help each other out from time to time.

You came here for advice and got it, yet you did not like it so I am therefore rude and condescending? My sincere apologies if I insulted you, after all this is an emergency situation, I would have gone straight to the RCMP for help on this, not dr1.

I appreciate your impatience and neurosis on this matter, perhaps you can find a good therapist after you drop off your camera @ DHL. Make sure you wire an extra $2200 to your daughter to safely get her new camera out of customs herself.

Regards,

R & C Tambo'

Wildly Organic

Aug 6, 2009
Let me ask you this, do you think Hillbilly, a professor of PUCMM and resident of this island for 50 years is rude and condescending? He gave you the exact same advice IN ALL CAPS! We were all trying to save you the potential 100% tax/or theft of your equipment. Nobody ever suggested you give your preciousa camera equipment to a "stranger" , we are a big family here and help each other out from time to time.

You came here for advice and got it, yet you did not like it so I am therefore rude and condescending? My sincere apologies if I insulted you, after all this is an emergency situation, I would have gone straight to the RCMP for help on this, not dr1.

I appreciate your impatience and neurosis on this matter, perhaps you can find a good therapist after you drop off your camera @ DHL. Make sure you wire an extra $2200 to your daughter to safely get her new camera out of customs herself.

Regards,

R & C Tambo'
Yes you are quite rude condescending and sarcastic as well.Too bad you can't write without caps.Not sure about your family here but I am not interested in joining if your purpose is to insult people .Are you Canadian?You are certainly not Dominican.The RCMP? YOu appreciate my impatience?I don't need your appreciation I was seeking information and suggestions.I am new,did you notice?great welcome.And it is an emergency.have you ever lived as a first worlder in a foreign country where English is not the native tongue?Ever lived in Higuey?For 2 yrs?With no hot water?Ever peeled 800 bananas a day to make bread to sell to colmados just so you and your hubby can buy rice and maybe some tampons and a mango? try coming across like you care,sarcasm just doesn't cut it.Oh and accolades for your friend who teaches at a DR Uni does not indicate people skills are apparent.There are plenty of educated people in the world with little to no social skills.Not sure what your point is there.I am sorry to have bothered you,I am a quiet person I am a Mum and I love my children.I loathe confrontation and actually this has my heart racing.I am a type B person,write poetry,songs,guitar and I love to cook amazing organic food and have people over so I can feed them.I like to serve and help people.I am trying to trust God about this and not worry but I am a person and it is a flaw I am working on.I hope you have a really good day and I hope you are blessed in all areas of your life.peace

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
You could almost book a flight on Spirit Airlines for about $300.00 round trip and take it to her yourself cheaper than Dominican Customs. A lot of the responses you're getting are from those who have experience with Dominican Customs, or the sticky fingers of DHL, UPS, Fed Ex workers in the D.R. It is what it is here, and remember the D.R. is an impoverished Third World Nation. I'm into photography myself , and I don't even bring my expensive camera when I travel. If you been in the D.R., you would understand what I am talking about, people watch " gringos " come and go to see if they have anything worth breaking in and taking.

If you don't trust anyone with the camera, you'd probably save yourself a lot of heartache and expense by either waiting until she returned home to take it personally or taking it to her. Again, I don't care for Spirit Airlines, but it's cheap, and once you factor in shipping and customs, and insurance, you would probably come out several thousand ahead. Any airline would be cheaper than the expense you're about to incur.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You could almost book a flight on Spirit Airlines for about $300.00 round trip and take it to her yourself cheaper than Dominican Customs. A lot of the responses you're getting are from those who have experience with Dominican Customs, or the sticky fingers of DHL, UPS, Fed Ex workers in the D.R. It is what it is here, and remember the D.R. is an impoverished Third World Nation. I'm into photography myself , and I don't even bring my expensive camera when I travel. If you been in the D.R., you would understand what I am talking about, people watch " gringos " come and go to see if they have anything worth breaking in and taking.

If you don't trust anyone with the camera, you'd probably save yourself a lot of heartache and expense by either waiting until she returned home to take it personally or taking it to her. Again, I don't care for Spirit Airlines, but it's cheap, and once you factor in shipping and customs, and insurance, you would probably come out several thousand ahead. Any airline would be cheaper than the expense you're about to incur.

She's in Canada, so Spirit isn't an option for her. Other than that, your post is right on. Hopefully the daughter - after living two years in Higuey - knows not to let anyone see the camera. Like you, I leave behind in the US anything that would draw attention to myself when I'm in DR.

To the OP, I hope this works out for you. What part of Canada are you in?

latitude19

May 29, 2011
There is NO NEED to be rude on this site. In fact, anyone who is rude without cause (even rude w/ a cause) is doing a disservice to the effectiveness of the site by decreasing the number of users. I know I stopped posting for a period due to this. Many others never post for fear of negative comments.

Sure, there are times when sarcasm may be appropriate (best among buddies who will return the favor and all's well) but not to people asking rational questions who want simple, straight answers, such as WO.

I have a lot of respect for people like Matilda, who, at least that I have seen, just posts the facts and nothing more.

Hope all goes well with your camera shipment.

Yes you are quite rude condescending and sarcastic as well.Too bad you can't write without caps.Not sure about your family here but I am not interested in joining if your purpose is to insult people .Are you Canadian?You are certainly not Dominican.The RCMP? YOu appreciate my impatience?I don't need your appreciation I was seeking information and suggestions.I am new,did you notice?great welcome.And it is an emergency.have you ever lived as a first worlder in a foreign country where English is not the native tongue?Ever lived in Higuey?For 2 yrs?With no hot water?Ever peeled 800 bananas a day to make bread to sell to colmados just so you and your hubby can buy rice and maybe some tampons and a mango? try coming across like you care,sarcasm just doesn't cut it.Oh and accolades for your friend who teaches at a DR Uni does not indicate people skills are apparent.There are plenty of educated people in the world with little to no social skills.Not sure what your point is there.I am sorry to have bothered you,I am a quiet person I am a Mum and I love my children.I loathe confrontation and actually this has my heart racing.I am a type B person,write poetry,songs,guitar and I love to cook amazing organic food and have people over so I can feed them.I like to serve and help people.I am trying to trust God about this and not worry but I am a person and it is a flaw I am working on.I hope you have a really good day and I hope you are blessed in all areas of your life.peace

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Huh?...................
The point was that it's just as cheap to deliver it in person as it is to ship it and risk customs charging $2200.00 or more customs fee , or it not getting there.

As for the Spirit Airlines, it was just a allusion to the above statement, my last flight from Flint, MI to the D.R. was $198.00 R/T

Wildly Organic

Aug 6, 2009
THANK YOU ALL SO VERY VERY VERY MUCH! just got off the phone no surprize my amazing son in law just talked to DHL driver (flagged him down) got the truth Dominican to Dominican.I actually had nightmare about this freaken issue last night!had a dream that Hillbilly and his wife (sorry hb,it was just a dream) met me at a table and when it came time to give the camera the woman scribbled her address then scratched it out then smiled then scratched again...creepy (yes tambo...I do need a therapist (happy sarcasm here couldn't resist.... anyways..I love West Jet but flights are crap right now and I need to figure out out of Montreal or maybe TO.shopping for flights thanks for the Miami? connection idea? I am on Vancouver Island so I have a long ways to go.Risks are very high and the thought of customs charging full price (they just do what they want) is very very valid.I aM fully aware of that. jaiallen..... DR is classified as 2nd world,I don't know why but it is, even though one can sponsor children through World Vision or other humanitarian orgs in the DR. I am feeling alot better and isn't that what a forum is all about.feel better because of communication with fellow human beings and help and serve one another.none of us really have to sit and type into screens at all.but knowledge is power. peace a good days to all...and really good food..just had fresh crab I caught myself dipped in garlic I grew...yum shopping for flights peace

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
West Jet has a seat sale on now... It's approx $550 all in return out of Toronto but you would still have to add on the Vanc-Tor portion. There is a 9am West Jet flight to Puerto Plata on Fridays so you could take the red eye and then just grab the West Jet flight... Not sure about the return flight though.... You might have to stay a week... Good luck with this. I am not going to PP until June so I am of no help in your current emergency. Maybe check out airfarewatchdog.com

Ella

guardian

Apr 17, 2012
To you original question, I've used Banker Trust for a number of years and have never had a problem. We've shipped a lot from the US: cell phones to a large flat screen TV. For shipping and customs I paid $600 for a 55" flat screen tv. Add to it the cost in the US of $700 and my total outlay was $1300. That was $400 less than what a comparable tv was selling for at Plaza Lama.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Yes,guardian,but what about if it breaks????
Better to buy a 32inch RCA here,for $400 dollars,and just "Sit Closer"!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC