Greetings from the UK

nipo

Apr 18, 2012
At the moment we have a short list of three countries which we would like to make home... The DR, Spain or Portugal. We feel that whilst Spain & Portugal are the "safe" options one of our desires is to escape from the European Union... with 10 rules or more for everything in life. Not to mention "Big Brother" with its CCTV, phone tapping and soon monitoring of all e-mails, texts and web activity.

We would love to know if you guys had the same choice which option you would take.

Thanks

Graham
Nipo

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
If you are still not sure. Rent in one or all of those places for at least 6 months and see for your self. Do not buy until you have lived there for a time.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Why don't you tell us what you expect to do in the DR and then it will make it easier to understand your expectations.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
At the moment we have a short list of three countries which we would like to make home... The DR, Spain or Portugal. We feel that whilst Spain & Portugal are the "safe" options one of our desires is to escape from the European Union... with 10 rules or more for everything in life. Not to mention "Big Brother" with its CCTV, phone tapping and soon monitoring of all e-mails, texts and web activity.

We would love to know if you guys had the same choice which option you would take.

Thanks

Graham
Nipo

Came here from the UK in June 2006 after considering Portugal and even Belize. I am still here so that must say something!

A huge amount depends on your reasons for leaving the UK though and what you intend to achieve in your new world/ life. What age are you? Do you have a family to bring or even leave behind? How are you planning to amuse and finance yourselves?

PM me if you wish.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Number 1

(...) The DR, Spain or Portugal. We feel that whilst Spain & Portugal are the "safe" options one of our desires is to escape from the European Union... (...)

Safety first.

donP

Aug 19, 2004
Have lived in both the DR and the UK though I didn't go there to escape the EU. Which is best very much depends on personal circumstances. How ever bad the EU may appear to you I think you will find that the Dominican Republic has many unpleasant aspects to it as well - for a significant number life is pretty hard and they risk life to leave. I certainly wouldn't base a move on EU rules and "Big Brother" - you may find the same in the DR. As others have siad live there for 6 months and see how it goes. If mixing with expats and sitting on a beach appeals thne go for it. For me i prefer the opportunities that London has to offer: jobs, culture, bookshops, decent TV, variety, opportunities, Europe on your door step etc, etc..

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Would you rather live in "Somalia"(the DR!!),or Portugal??????
How many times have you visited for long periods,or better yet, "Lived" in each of the countries you are thinking about making your new "Home"???
I would rather be "Watched" by "Big Brither",than robbed by a Dominican Thief!!!!
Got a lot of people dying from "Colera" in Spain & Portugal this month????
10 million Dominicans would cut off their right arms to live in Spain,OR Portugal,and their "Heads" to live in ANY country in the "UK"!!!!
You decide!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

nipo

Apr 18, 2012
Hi,

Firstly I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for your most valued comments.

It is very clear from these comments that the DR polarises opinion... for some it is perfect, for others a place to escape from.

Our situation is relatively complex... We are looking for a place to live in safety, tranquility and in harmony with nature. Our aim is to establish a retreat, in which we would be offering a range of holistic therapies... including traditional Taoist practices. Taoism is quite a controversial practice and requires an open mind, not just from the people directly involved but also the neighbours and authorities. Such an open mind is not easily found in the UK and I have some fears that the same may be true of Spain and particularly Portugal, particularly in the more rural areas... which we both prefer and need.

It has been suggested that we rent for 6 or 12 months... this is excellent advice, however we really need to be sure that we have selected the best place first... there are 4 adults & 4 cats to relocate making the move quite complex and expensive.

Your continued thoughts are of course appreciated.

Graham
Nipo

donP

Dec 14, 2008
And 4 Cats

We are looking for a place to live in safety, tranquility and in harmony with nature.

The latter can be done here.
You'd live very remote from any settlement though....
(Last night we heard devilish missionaries chanting and praying from 4 miles away....)

Taoism is quite a controversial practice and requires an open mind, not just from the people directly involved but also the neighbours and authorities. Such an open mind is not easily found in the UK and I have some fears that the same may be true of Spain and particularly Portugal, particularly in the more rural areas... which we both prefer and need.

So, you chose the DR... :classic:

(...) however we really need to be sure that we have selected the best place first... there are 4 adults & 4 cats to relocate making the move quite complex and expensive.

A love-on-the-first-sight decision may turn out even more expensive.
A 'mudanza' on a 'guagua' with four cats is notso complex and can be fun, too..... :laugh:

donP

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Are they big cats, lions, tigers, cougars et?. There is a hotellier who advertises on this site and his hotel is in a very quiet place a few miles outside LT. However you will still most places have the noise from children etc. unless you choose somewhere really remote up in the hills/mountains.

pi2

nipo

Apr 18, 2012
I agree love at the first sight can be expensive, that's why having selected the right country we will rent first. It will take time, in which ever country we settle to find the perfect location and even then we could make a mistake... but hey, that's what life is about.

I like your idea about a "bus on the move"... one of the options we have looked at for portugal is a house boat on the lakes.

Graham
Nipo

Aug 19, 2004
Such an open mind is not easily found in the UK and I have some fears that the same may be true of Spain and particularly Portugal, particularly in the more rural areas... which we both prefer and need.

So what makes you think that the Dominican Republic will be better? IMO London is a very open and tolerant society compared to what you would find in the Santo Domingo.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Our situation is relatively complex... We are looking for a place to live in safety, tranquility and in harmony with nature. Our aim is to establish a retreat, in which we would be offering a range of holistic therapies... including

Tranquility and harmony is out of place in the DR. The DR is a constant assault on the senses (noise, garbage, roosters, motos, etc.). Even if you find a very remote place, you have to come into town. It would be very difficult for someone that lives in harmony with nature to see the treatment of most animals and the disregard for the environment on so many levels. Some areas are better than others, of course, you'd definitely have to choose locations very carefully. Personally, I don't like the idea of "compounds" or gated communities. So I think that if you are going to live someplace, it should be among the people not locked away from them. But, then again, you are talking about a "retreat."

I'm not sure why Taoism is so very controversial, and don't know why authorities have a problem with it. Would be interested to hear more about that. I actually think you could make a go of it in the DR, as your clientele would be like minded people as yourself, who have the resources to travel wherever you are. Actually, now that I think of it, I'd pay to retreat to someplace quiet while in the DR.

The downside, as others have mentioned, to not having Big Brother watching you, is that many of the same basic services you are likely to consider standard do not uniformally exist, function well or come at a premium price.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Hi,
We are looking for a place to live in safety, tranquility and in harmony with nature. Our aim is to establish a retreat, in which we would be offering a range of holistic therapies... including traditional Taoist practices. Taoism is quite a controversial practice and requires an open mind, not just from the people directly involved but also the neighbours and authorities. Such an open mind is not easily found in the UK and I have some fears that the same may be true of Spain and particularly Portugal, particularly in the more rural areas... which we both prefer and need.
Graham
Nipo

Sorry you have your perceptions completely arse about tit. Reading your ideas of where you are considering I can see you have not spent any considerable time at all in Spain or the DR for sure. I lived in Spain for many years and still own property there, and in my opinion for what you require anything around the Granada, Cordoba, Sevilla region and you will be in similar company, there are loads of alternative therapists all over the region. And from there you are a short distance to Portugal or hop on the ferry over to Morocco in 25 mins. I'd suggest maybe spending a bit of time with people that make the most of an alternative lifestyle maybe they will guide you and show you if this is really what you want. I have a very good friend you can contact and organize a stay with her at her retreat, Cortijo El Saltador - Lucainena de las Torres - Almeria - SPAIN Claudia Scholler/Cortijo El Saltador proprieter interview | View from the Pier : Travel, Photography, Discovery just drop her a line and she will do whatever she can to help you out, advise and give you her opinion. My opinion is this area has the best to offer as for meeting your needs. The locals are very much used to alternative people seeking an alternative lifestyle, a live and let live mentality is what made me buy in the region 20 years ago, but it has changed quite a lot since the good old days, and so doesn't interest me any more, but where has not changed in 20 years, it's universal I'm sure.

I can't see you settling in DR at all. It is tough, and no matter what there are few moments there is not something of stress on your mind, even the slightest, but there is always something niggling away, it depends how you handle these niggles that makes your experience. Tranquility does not scream out DR to me, it is the noisiest most disrupted place I've ever lived, harmony also doesn't scream out DR to me, too many people are in such a struggle to get by it is rare that people are not bickering somewhere about something within 50mtrs of where you are, and there is no nature so that's out completely.

Open minds in DR?? depends if you are going to be living in Campo which is almost a given if you need any kind of peace and possible tranquility. This will mean you are surrounded by those who have experienced very little that is different in life from what they know, and so controversial practices will not be understood, tolerated yes, but chances are people will just think you are a bit weird. I personally think DR is a mistake for what you are looking for. It is a place that if foreign it is always better to blend and not stand out, I've lived by a policy that any attention is negative attention in DR. Also the extreme change will take much longer to get used to, and even then you might be like the majority and end up leaving before the time you expected. Not many make the place home permanently, and there is a reason for that, it can be tough, and if you are not very well seasoned in extreme 'culture' shock then...................................

Perfect situation is build a home to have in both, you can never have enough property, then you are free to be where you want to be, when you want to be without having to consider somewhere to live. But then you have the problem of selling up if you need to, in DR that is really difficult, I know of many who have wanted to leave but are stuck as they can't sell, and can't move until they do.

So it's just my opinion, but Spain/possibly Portugal every time on this one. The DR is only a 10 hour flight away, but it can feel like you are on another planet much of the time, and not a graceful planet at that.

Good luck.