Save this Gringo from jail!

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
So on my street in the past 48 hours, I have witnessed 2 robberies perpetuated by a motorcycle duo.

You know the modus operandi: Motorcycle slows down, guy on the back reaches over and grabs the purse. First time off an elderly lady neighbor, second time off a younger girl, motorcycle duo speed away.

Both incidents happened at around 2pm, on subsequent days.

They happen so quickly, that nobody can do anything to help...but it started me thinking...I walk down this street a lot. What would happen if I was on the street and this happened? Would I do something or just take it like a pendejo?

99% of the time, I would fall under the pendejo crowd. But I want to discuss the 1% of times that I was motivated to do something. What would be within my rights if 2 thieves were speeding away?

Would I go to jail if I:

a) shot them (with a legal weapon)?
b) shot them (with an illegal weapon)?
c) pushed them off the motorbike somehow and they were injured during the fall?
d) threw a brick at the drivers head causing an accident and injury?
e) rammed them with my car causing an accident and injury?
f) pepper sprayed them causing an accident and injury?
g) mentioned in passing that their mothers did unspeakable sexual acts in exchange for bus fare?

what are my rights? where would I be overstepping the law?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A stick through the wheels? Pepper spray, I like, but be sure you are up wind. Small nylon rope across the road, about neck high? I like that one!

Find a cop friend to watch with you?

Interesting scenario..

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm not a lawyer, but if you are a witness rather than the victim I wouldn't use a gun. Pepper spray, throwing rock, pushing them, things of that sort would, I believe, be much less likely to get you in trouble.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
legally your best option is waith for god to smite them but in his absence you may do smitting yourself. wear disguise, thou, because some of those folks are pretty keen on revenge...

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Keep it real and don't bother!

Who are you to act like you've got an S on your chest in a country that's not yours..

As you mentioned, you're a gringo.. and you're walking down that street a lot. Do something to those thieves and walk down the street the next day.. let's just hope their boys ain't seeking for pay back!

And even if you're from this country, I don't care if you fck a thief up but don't shoot him! I mean come on, you're talking about taking ones life away!

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
So on my street in the past 48 hours, I have witnessed 2 robberies perpetuated by a motorcycle duo.

You know the modus operandi: Motorcycle slows down, guy on the back reaches over and grabs the purse. First time off an elderly lady neighbor, second time off a younger girl, motorcycle duo speed away.

They happen so quickly, that nobody can do anything to help...but it started me thinking...I walk down this street a lot. What would happen if I was on the street and this happened? Would I do something or just take it like a pendejo?

99% of the time, I would fall under the pendejo crowd. But I want to discuss the 1% of times that I was motivated to do something. What would be within my rights if 2 thieves were speeding away?

Would I go to jail if I:

g) mentioned in passing that their mothers did unspeakable sexual acts in exchange for bus fare?

Form an alliance with other men in the block and confront the thieves when they come back.

Thieves must be dealt with violently, short of killing them, or not at all.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Whatever your rights are, if you get to deal with police after the altercation (and potentially with lawyers) it will likely cost you more in time and money than what the thiefs can take from you, not to mention the medical costs. Unless you have good connections who can get you out quickly - apparently knowing someone in the rank of colonel and up makes dealing with the police that much more pleasant.

If it's a busy place, another option is to provide some resistance and make a lot of noise about being robbed and let the crowd do the justice.

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
If you act and kill them= problems with cops. Theyd give a dominican a medal but you are a piggybank.
If you act and dont kill them= they will come back for revenge. Not like challenge you to a fight but come for you when you least expect it, go after your friends/family etc.
You are damned if you do, damned if you dont

diable410

Sep 14, 2011

Would I go to jail if I:

Buy the women in the neighborhood fannypacks.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I'd pull their balls in every which direction than gladly shove it up their asses and run them over with their motorcycle.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Hand grenade in the purse with a delay of about 15 seconds, when pursed is robbed don't make a sound, just turn around and walk away in the crowd....

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I'd get some of the local men involved, although they probably won't until their daughter or wife is involved. Getting involved yourself unless you are well known and espected might not be the best move.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Good morning, and thanks for all the responses (and jokes).

Pretty sure hand grenade is out of the question, so is an acme anvil on their heads, or the proposed vasectomy won't work (they're moving too fast) haha.

I don't live in a barrio, it's more of a middle class neighborhood in Gazcue, and yes we have speed bumps, but those are easy to negotiate on motorbike.

I was not really trying to figure out a 'solution' because in the end it's too hard to stop this sort of thing.

But more trying to understand my 'limits' should I get caught up on the street in an altercation like this.

Thanks for all your responses.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
First thing is get a grenade and tie a string to the pin. Put the grenade in your large purse and tie the string to your wrist. Next dress up as an old lady with a cane. Let them grab the purse and ride off. String pulls the grenade pin and voila - problem solved. Second scenario is just run them over with a car and drive off. Happens all the time in the DR. It was an accident.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Why not dress up like an old lady, get a GPS tracker and put it in your purse, then amble up and down that little calle, all day long, under the sweltering sun, in your uncomfortable womans shoes, panty hose, with your wig with your foam tetas, until those two morons come back and snatch your purse.

Then, after Tweetle Dee and Tweetle Dummer take the purse, track the purse using the aforementioned GPS device. Once you have located the house of the mother of Tweetle Dum (which is undoubtedly where these two criminal masterminds hang out) you can approach the aforementioned Dona (either still in costume, or after changing out of costume and rehydrating at the colamdo) and alert said Dona to the fact she is a horrible mother, derelict in her duties and has managed to raise an animal, lacking in work ethic or morals and that the money her son has been giving her to buy Presidente is dirty.

Problem solved.

Jan 3, 2003
You are an ANGLO-SAXON. Avoid confrontation at all costs. You will never win. The police will not back you up for doing the right thing. Do as I did. When the going got tough, we got going. We now live in Miami-Dade County where we feel completely safe and that is what counts. Even if Miami isn't paradise, the point is we feel like it is and that's what counts.

We are Dominican and we no longer feel the DR is a viable place to live and feel safe. I mean we could have stayed, armed ourselves with military grade machine guns, and driven around like Al Capone but we figured the stress that goes with that wasn't worth it. We left behind much land which at one time was for agricultural purposes and happily there aren't any squatters yet.

The point I am trying to make is that if a long time, old time Dominican family like ours who can trace back our roots all the way back to Spain decided enough was enough you can just imagine what you should be thinking. We were in the DR for centuries and to make this type of decision wasn't a spur of the moment decision. The DR has radically changed. It isn't the safe pristine generally crime free country it once was.

Trust has broken down totally. You can't trust the help that works for you anymore. You can't trust the maids, the watchmen, the gardeners, the repairmen, the farmhands, the carpenters. Trust has broken down totally. I'm not saying all of them, but it has gotten to the point that it has reached critical mass. You no longer know who's who especially if you got some money on you.

If you go out and do this sort of vigilante stuff, do you feel you can trust the police to respond accordingly? Do you feel they will commend you for a job well done? In their snarly, snake-ish ways, they'll trump up some bullshirt charges in the hopes of extracting money from you.

If you feel the pressure is mounting up on you, then maybe its time to get out of Dodge City. Do as we did and come back for short periods of time but don't live there. It seems the pressure is building up for you as it did for us. When it gets to that point, it's better to leave than to try to find a way to make things work.

Like I said earlier in this post, if you try to solve things as you would in the USA then you're gonna get yourself into a heap of trouble. Just get out, decompress and head for Naples or Clewiston in South-Central Fl. You'll be able to regroup your thoughts and begin to think if it's worth all the stress of being in the DR versus the pluses. Good luck!!!

What about you pray for that barrio
PRAY???