Dominican Republic Values

tccstudent

Apr 19, 2012
I am currently taking intercultural comminication in college and one of my assignments is to do a ppt over the DR I need a little bit of help. I need to know some of the individual values and beliefs of the DR culture.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Honesty, rigour, hard work, nuclear family, chastity, temperance, modesty & equality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I am currently taking intercultural comminication in college and one of my assignments is to do a ppt over the DR I need a little bit of help. I need to know some of the individual values and beliefs of the DR culture.

It is whatever the opposite of what CrissColon says.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Well, I expected Chip to come out with some worthy opinion, but looks like everyone feels as though culture and belief in the DR is overthrown by contradiction and lack of moral standards, or not even worth the thought, point blank.

So OP, there you have it. Besides Bachata, Brugal, Bonking, Babies and undersized Brassieres there are few points to pick.

For what it's worth, Vicks vapour rub cures everything from toothache to cancer!

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
To the OP:
You'll find everything in ONE country!
Rich people complaining about their gasoline and energy costs.
Poor people trying to scam you for 2 bucks.
Rich people trying to scam you out of your life savings.
Drug addicts robbing rich peoples and poor peoples homes.

You should make a PPT about not only the country but also ..... the Presidente.

Though Brahmas are nice too.

First thing you should do is buy a legal copy of the DR movie "LOTOMAN"

Then you'll get the feeling of the real DR;)
I even read a space program is being launched in Sosua.

Last edited by a moderator:

jackcrew

Aug 5, 2010
Using Hofstede's Dimensions of Cultures, the Dominican Republic is...
1. Large Power Distance in that it has clear hierarchies based on religion, income, corruption, and inequality.
2. Uncertainty Accepting in that there is a low stress/anxiety attitude and people live day by day.
3. Collectivistic in that family and community are of paramont importance; however, strangers and nation less important.
4. Masculine in clear gender differences; ambitiousness of men; few female leaders; and admiration for the strong.
5. Polychronomic in that time is based context based, high immediate need of gratification; focus on short-term needs.

As far as values, other posters have offered good suggestions.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Been There !!!

Well, I expected Chip to come out with some worthy opinion, but looks like everyone feels as though culture and belief in the DR is overthrown by contradiction and lack of moral standards, or not even worth the thought, point blank.

So OP, there you have it. Besides Bachata, Brugal, Bonking, Babies and undersized Brassieres there are few points to pick.

For what it's worth, Vicks vapour rub cures everything from toothache to cancer![/QUOTE

Sounds as if you're married to one!
Right on mate, you know what you' re talking about ...... Vicks :classic:

Last edited:

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
3. Collectivistic in that family and community are of paramont importance; however, strangers and nation less important.

I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. Collectivism means thinking about your community before thinking about yourself. We all know that kind of thinking is foreign here... this country is all about the individual and his (mainly his) rights first.

Also, sure there's lots of 'talk' about family values here, but it's mostly talk. Cabanas exist because family values don't.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Got To Love Hofstede

Using Hofstede's Dimensions of Cultures, the Dominican Republic is...
1. Large Power Distance in that it has clear hierarchies based on religion, income, corruption, and inequality.
2. Uncertainty Accepting in that there is a low stress/anxiety attitude and people live day by day.
4. Masculine in clear gender differences; ambitiousness of men; few female leaders; and admiration for the strong.
5. Polychronomic in that time is based context based, high immediate need of gratification; focus on short-term needs.

As far as values, other posters have offered good suggestions.

Time based context dictates that our time is limited................. be healthy and have fun! :classic:
Love you're post

jackcrew

Aug 5, 2010
Concerning collectivism, I see a lot of sharing in the barrios. Women watching other women's children. Families feeding other families in times of despiration. Baseball players using other men's names in order to qualify for age limits. Everyone sending money to parents (even when those parents abused them). Perhaps it stems from the mentality that I better share what I have now, because in the future I might need help (which would be Individualistic I guess). But overall, things seem rather Collective. And yes, cabanas exists but the men still try to provide for their family (recreation vs responsibility).

Just my observation submitted with respect.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Also, sure there's lots of 'talk' about family values here, but it's mostly talk. Cabanas exist because family values don't.

For the benefit of the OP who hasn't said if he's ever been to the DR, it's important to make a distinction between valuing family and so-called "family-values."

I would say family would be first on a short list of things of importance to Dominicans. That means relatives, including extended ones are your top concern. So things like helping them out, letting them stay with you, feeding them are important.

Family values, to me, imply things like the importance a family places on passing down it's beliefs to the next generation. It comes in the form of the lessons we teach our kids. Not limited to religious teachings, but that of course is included. All families do this in different degrees, but my opinion is that Dominicans don't particularly focus on overt teaching of values, generally. (And yes, I understand generalizations exclude many that may.)

So I wouldn't include "family values" in terms of passing down what each family values high on that list. Not sure if that makes sense. Maybe an example is out of wedlock births. Because family is important, out of wedlock births, even to very young teens, are embraced once they arrive, and loved and cared for to the best of family's ability. "We don't have children before marriage", is not widely taught, which is a common value one would expect from a country claiming 90% Catholics.

Actually, FAMILY, FAMILY, and FAMILY would be my top 3 picks, it's that important.

Cabanas exist to protect the family, the wife and her children so they don't have to see what the husband does. He gets his needs met, while they continue to be provided for. Many men who cheat are very protective of their family and provide for them and will defend them. So I don't see Cabanas at odds with respecting the sanctity of the family unit. Again, it's not within our definiton of family values that men visit Cabanas, but their visits actual consider the family.

May be a matter of semantics, but this is for a project, and I think a whole paper could be written about family values vs. valuing the family.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Concerning collectivism, I see a lot of sharing in the barrios. Women watching other women's children. Families feeding other families in times of despiration. Baseball players using other men's names in order to qualify for age limits. Everyone sending money to parents (even when those parents abused them). Perhaps it stems from the mentality that I better share what I have now, because in the future I might need help (which would be Individualistic I guess). But overall, things seem rather Collective. And yes, cabanas exists but the men still try to provide for their family (recreation vs responsibility).

Just my observation submitted with respect.

Good value, cheating!!!!!!!!!!