Rumor mill: AA on the verge of a hostile takeover.. by US Airways!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
AA reports today that it lost $1.7 Billion in the first three months of 2012.

They just have to cut back on their peanut count..................problem solved....
Or charge 1 or 2000 for each piece of checked luggage........

B in Santiago

Jan 9, 2004
AMR Unions Said Prepared to Back US Airways Takeover Bid - Bloomberg

In related news, AA reports today that it lost $1.7 Billion in the first three months of 2012.

Hostile takeover....How so?....they are in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. The only person flying this plane is the U.S. Bankruptcy trustee. After AA prepares a Chapter 11 plan to exit Bankruptcy, he or she decides whether AA can survive as a stand alone entity and can pay off creditors/bondholders either in part or in whole. Based on the story, the Unions are not liking the planned cuts proposed by AA and feel they may get a better deal if the Trustee rejects AA's plan and decides the Airline is not viable alone and then seeks out bids. USAir who was in Bankruptcy not that long ago would be better served by sitting back, let the contracts be voided or cut....then approach AA or the Bankruptcy Trustee regarding a possible merger.

While US Air apparently seems to like the possibility of a merger with AA, to try and merge with them without major concessions would be to take on all the problems that got AA into Chapter 11 in the first place....and I think US Airways is well aware of that.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Hostile takeover....How so?....they are in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. The only person flying this plane is the U.S. Bankruptcy trustee. After AA prepares a Chapter 11 plan to exit Bankruptcy, he or she decides whether AA can survive as a stand alone entity and can pay off creditors/bondholders either in part or in whole. Based on the story, the Unions are not liking the planned cuts proposed by AA and feel they may get a better deal if the Trustee rejects AA's plan and decides the Airline is not viable alone and then seeks out bids. USAir who was in Bankruptcy not that long ago would be better served by sitting back, let the contracts be voided or cut....then approach AA or the Bankruptcy Trustee regarding a possible merger.

While US Air apparently seems to like the possibility of a merger with AA, to try and merge with them without major concessions would be to take on all the problems that got AA into Chapter 11 in the first place....and I think US Airways is well aware of that.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Absolutely. US Airways and the threat of "hostile takeover" is a byproduct of AMR's request to bust the union deals, nothing more.

American Airlines seeks to cancel labor contracts - Yahoo! Finance

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I just wish US Antitrust would stop approving all of these mergers and acquisitions that are just hurting consumers big time. As it stands right now there are only a few major airlines left and as a result fares have gone through the roof, not to mention so many flight routes cancelled. The only upside for me of something like this happening is that I have a ton of USAir miles that I wish I could use to The DR, but they only have a couple of flights right now to PUJ and SDQ so choices are very limited.