Howdy Ya'll!

rfrettig

Apr 20, 2012
Hola!

Name's Robert, go by Bobby or Bob, but naturally adopted Roberto when my wife and I got married in the DR last summer. We also spent a week in Santo Domingo exploring the Zona Colonial.

Currently we are researching the possibility of buying/running a bar in the Dominican. We have looked around Cabarete and now turning to Las Terrenas. I have a million questions, of course, but will begin by browsing through the forums for any useful information that I can gather.

However, if anyone has any experience in this I would be grateful for your correspondence, particually if you are an expat that has ventured into the DR bar market. This would be a career change for us--we're all in!

We're hoping to make this dream a reality within the next year and can't wait to get back to paradise sometime soon!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
The typical expat who has made a go of it in the Dominican bar business is typically an older, single male who has made his money and is looking for a semi-retirement adventure. He typically makes a small fortune out of the large fortune he invests. I would be a little leery of a young, inexperienced couple going this route. It may cost you more than your nestegg, it could cost you your marriage.

rfrettig

Apr 20, 2012
The typical expat who has made a go of it in the Dominican bar business is typically an older, single male who has made his money and is looking for a semi-retirement adventure. He typically makes a small fortune out of the large fortune he invests. I would be a little leery of a young, inexperienced couple going this route. It may cost you more than your nestegg, it could cost you your marriage.

I appreciate your angle on our potential adventure.

Oct 28, 2011
Hola Roberto, LT is a great place and bars do well on weekends. Renting something on the beach or Pueblo los Pescadores might be a good start to see if it works for you without loosing your shirt. Do you speak Spanish? Check the weekly paper LT7, p. 11 has bus. 4 sale/rent.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

My wife and I live in LT part of the year. Bar business is very competitive in Las Terrenas. I would come down and check out the area for yourself. There is a bar called One Love across from Punta Poppi, which is on the side of town going towards El Limon, it is run by a young couple from Montreal. They would be good people to talk to, to get a the real info on the bar
business. You have to remember on thing that the season in LT is basically from Christmas to Easter. The rest of the time there is not a large volume to tourists around. Good luck.

LTS