Dominican Passport for Minor Child U.S. Citizen

Zeffer_o

Oct 23, 2009
I am a U.S. Citizen and I have a child with a man who is a Dominican Citizen. He has his green card. Our son is 3 years old and the father says that we can take our son to the Dominican Republic and get him a Dominican passport. From what I have read here on DR1, it appears that our son cannot obtain dual citizenship until he is 18 years old, but the father says that's "the old rule." Does anyone know whether that is the case and a minor child may obtain a Dominican passport?

I was wondering what the point is of a 3-year-old having dual citizenship and the father says that he has real property in DR and that he would like our son to be the beneficiary of the property should anything happen to the father and that it's easier for our son to get the property if he is a Dominican citizen.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
You don't say if you are in an ongoing relationship with this man. By declaring the child Dominican it allows him easier access to the Dominican system concerning custody and support issues. I don't see any upside to this as he can leave property to his child who is not a Dominican citizen.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Bullsh!t....no way...and like the above poster said, very little up side..to this. Makes no nevermind what his nationality is for inheritance.
What is he going to do with a Dominican passport? Go to Cuba...okay that is possible. At his age, NOT!

Unless you are going to live here for a long time, there is no reason to get a Dominican anything.
If you are going to live here, that is another matter. He could use his Dominican citizenship to avoid residency issues...but that is all...

So there you have it...

Think..

HB

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I am a U.S. Citizen and I have a child with a man who is a Dominican Citizen. He has his green card. Our son is 3 years old and the father says that we can take our son to the Dominican Republic and get him a Dominican passport. From what I have read here on DR1, it appears that our son cannot obtain dual citizenship until he is 18 years old, but the father says that's "the old rule." Does anyone know whether that is the case and a minor child may obtain a Dominican passport?

I see some posters decided not to answer the question you were asking, instead choosing to spread their non-sense.

If the father is Dominican born, your son/daughter is Dominican too. The Dominican parent just need to register him as a Dominican citizen. If the father wants his kid to have Dominican citizenship, he can do it without you.

I was wondering what the point is of a 3-year-old having dual citizenship and the father says that he has real property in DR and that he would like our son to be the beneficiary of the property should anything happen to the father and that it's easier for our son to get the property if he is a Dominican citizen.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

The child is already a dual citizen, read the DR constitution.

Zeffer_o

Oct 23, 2009
Belmont, I am no longer in a relationship with the father, but since we had a child together, we are trying to have a "working relationship," as parents of our son.

As far as I know, the father has no intent to return to DR to live, at least not anytime soon. We all live in New York, though our son and I live in a different city in NY from the father.

Hillbilly, I didn't really see the point either and am actually on the suspicious side. I don't see the benefit or usefulness of a three-year-old having a Dominican passport. Unless this would make it much easier for the father to take our son to DR without my permission?

Ezequiel, I do not speak Spanish, so reading the Dominican constitution would be of little use to me.

Thanks to all of you :)

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Unless this would make it much easier for the father to take our son to DR without my permission?
Thanks to all of you :)

It's also much easier to bring another child back in his place. It's easier to do the younger they are.

The father should be able to get the paperwork on his own as the Dominican parent. Had it been done within a month of him being born, it could have been done through the Dominican consulate. I applaud you if you are working together for the benefit of the child, but I don't think I'd put too much effort into helping it get done.

Zeffer_o

Oct 23, 2009
La Rubia, what do you mean "bring another child back in his place"? Use my son's passport for another child?

I have no interest in assisting him with getting her a Dominican passport. At this point, the only way we are "working together" is just for both of us to be good parents to our son and not fight in front of him. My son and I moved away from the father about a year ago.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
My son was born in the DR so we went ahead and got him his DR passport since we went back and forth to the States at least twice a year. Also at that time to our understanding in order for him to get off the island he had to get a DR passport. I also like that know he can check Hispanic on all his college grant applications when that time comes around..... :bunny:
But in your situation I wouldn't help a bit to get his DR citizenship, heck I didn't even help my son to get his Canadian citizenship either. I got his US certificate of birth abroad and his Dominican passport. His father is the Canadian, he can do the paperwork is my opinion.;)

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I also like that know he can check Hispanic on all his college grant applications when that time comes around..... :bunny:

And potentially go to university in DR as a resident Dominican.

And most importantly, run for public office!:bunny:

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
If he is traveling internationally and the plane is hijacked. You do know what that means? Everybody with American, British and First world passport will be killed. A Dominican passport can save his life.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
If he is traveling internationally and the plane is hijacked. You do know what that means? Everybody with American, British and First world passport will be killed. A Dominican passport can save his life.

He does not have to worry about that 99.9% of the countries WILL NOT even let him in with that DR passport.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
He does not have to worry about that 99.9% of the countries WILL NOT even let him in with that DR passport.

I guess you are so ignorant that you don't know that if you are a dual citizen you can travel with two passports!

If somebody like me is traveling in Europe or Asia and the airplane is hijacked or something like the Bombay hotel happened, if I'm traveling with both my American and Dominican passport, my Dominican passport can save my life.

Now keep showing your ignorance and lack of knowledge :cheeky:

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
Let me jump in :) Since my children's father is Ddominican they can have dual citizenship? I was unaware of this! If we decide to move there for a few years they wouldnt have to pay the tax upon leaving/entering the airport as I would? We all currently travel with just an american passport. My children are 10 years to 1 year old. thanks,