Traveling during the national election

jackcrew

Aug 5, 2010
Looking to travel around the Dominican Republic next month but got concerned with the election. What would be your advice concerning travel from May 19 - May 31? Trips include Santo Domingo, Barahona, and La Vega. Election day itself (May 20th) will be in the capital.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Offices and many stores will be closed on the 20th so people can vote.

I don't expect any problems after the election as the last couple have been pretty transparent.

Since the polls indicate this election could be close, a runoff may be necessary.

Time, of course, will tell. But it would be very premature to change your plans now.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
The only election problem I have noted is the explosively loud sound trucks travelling around spewing political messages.

They have a 20Kw generator on the truck bed running full tilt powering the amplifiers out pushing out the deafening sound.

"Now that I have your attention......."

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
There will also be many street rallys and marches that may tie up traffic for a while.

Bob K

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Since the OP is not getting here until the day before the election, sound trucks and street rallies will not be the problem they are likely to be in the days before the election. Unless there needs to be a runoff, in which case the campaigning will begin again.

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
If there is a need for a runoff, is it known when the voting would take place for the second round?

Thanks.