The 1% in SD.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
So we are in SD for a week now,doing plenty of activities with the boys, funnyfactory at Blue Mall,Happy land at Jumbo,Bosque jurasico at Jardin botanico,etc,etc,etc.My point is,sadly,I've noticed that they only people I see is the infamous "rich Dominicans"engaging in these activities along with their nannies (funny factory looks like a pediatrician's office since the nannies wear scrubs,lol.Now,I really don't care that they are "rich" but what a bunch of mal educados.They would stare,so naturally one would smile to greet.Not these people,they are the walking Greek gods and goddess walking the streets of SD.What can one expect from people that think going to Pizza hut and Wendy's is high end.I tell my wife how lovely it is that these people don't sleep thinking of how to outdo one another.Guess you can say "keeping up with the Baez" lol.They Truly deserve each other,who would wanna be in that crowd anyways,but my goodness,they try so hard,it's childish.Sorry,just needed to share with those unaware.This is why my heart is set in Santiago.Nothing like Cibaeno hospitality.Can't wait to be there tomorrow!!! I will post some pics on my other thread"activities for kids in SD"

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Have you taken the kids to either one of the plazas on the Malecon? You won't see any "nannies" there.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
The modern rich of the Dr mainly made their riches from corruption and politics. Just look at Felix bautista, he didn't have a dime before Leonel now he makes millions as leonels front man all through corruption.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
No, I haven't taken the boys to the Malecon yet.I guess if there's no nannies to show off,the 1% won't be there.Talk 'bout tacky looking people.Lisa,I was just in San Juan visiting abuela.I don't know if it was Felix Bautista,but the highway was immaculate,side rail,smooth,couldn't believe it,for DR standards??? Even the way it was build,was for proper drainage in case of rain.One of the campesino was telling me that one of Felix's guys made 70 millions pesos off that project,don't know how true that is.I figured that the 1% has to be those big families that one those groups that Hillbilly mentioned before(la Sirena,Banco de Leon,etc)I mean,their kids look like New yorkers.They do have lots of money,but they lack lots in class as well....como dicen,aunque la mona se vista de ceda,mona se queda.

So we are in SD for a week now,doing plenty of activities with the boys, funnyfactory at Blue Mall,Happy land at Jumbo,Bosque jurasico at Jardin botanico,etc,etc,etc.My point is,sadly,I've noticed that they only people I see is the infamous "rich Dominicans"engaging in these activities along with their nannies (funny factory looks like a pediatrician's office since the nannies wear scrubs,lol.Now,I really don't care that they are "rich" but what a bunch of mal educados.They would stare,so naturally one would smile to greet.Not these people,they are the walking Greek gods and goddess walking the streets of SD.What can one expect from people that think going to Pizza hut and Wendy's is high end.I tell my wife how lovely it is that these people don't sleep thinking of how to outdo one another.Guess you can say "keeping up with the Baez" lol.They Truly deserve each other,who would wanna be in that crowd anyways,but my goodness,they try so hard,it's childish.Sorry,just needed to share with those unaware.This is why my heart is set in Santiago.Nothing like Cibaeno hospitality.Can't wait to be there tomorrow!!! I will post some pics on my other thread"activities for kids in SD"

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Rich does not equal cooth! I do hope Sabana Iglesia is what you want it to be. The Hillbilly Hovel is unpresuming, I hope.

HB

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
No, I haven't taken the boys to the Malecon yet.I guess if there's no nannies to show off,the 1% won't be there.Talk 'bout tacky looking people.Lisa,I was just in San Juan visiting abuela.I don't know if it was Felix Bautista,but the highway was immaculate,side rail,smooth,couldn't believe it,for DR standards??? Even the way it was build,was for proper drainage in case of rain.One of the campesino was telling me that one of Felix's guys made 70 millions pesos off that project,don't know how true that is.I figured that the 1% has to be those big families that one those groups that Hillbilly mentioned before(la Sirena,Banco de Leon,etc)I mean,their kids look like New yorkers.They do have lots of money,but they lack lots in class as well....como dicen,aunque la mona se vista de ceda,mona se queda.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am pretty sure you will not find any of the children of those families anywhere very public in Santo Domingo. They keep pretty much to themselves. You might find them over at Santo Domingo Country Club or in Club Arroyo Hondo or at Club Naco, but not out in "public".....

HB

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I kinda understand

A lot of movement and hustling in the Capital.These places charge "New York prices"I guess you sort of pay a premium for havind the kids in a "safe"environment.You can tell based on posts who's down to earth.Your hovel I'm sure is fine.Funny thing is how you see rich Americans back in the states,walking around with dirty snickers.My friend's uncle,own 5 supermarkets in NYC but yet drove a '88 Camry.He's been living in Santiago now for the last 15,I'm sure still keeping under the radar.He son was always nogging him 'bout getting a new car.His only luxury was his 25 year old girlfriend.

I am pretty sure you will not find any of the children of those families anywhere very public in Santo Domingo. They keep pretty much to themselves. You might find them over at Santo Domingo Country Club or in Club Arroyo Hondo or at Club Naco, but not out in "public".....

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ah, the nannies....

When we took our grandsons to the horse/pony rides at the rear of la Feria Ganadera, it was a bit surreal.

The Dominicans there were all of a different strata, the cars they drove, the clothes they wore, the "bearing".

One family had TWO uniformed nannies trailing them.

One boy came with his own little motorized car to amuse himself while waiting his turn.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I was surprised that three of "them"spoke to me yesterday.Maybe it was the fact that the pver heard the boys talking in english or that we were at the same high end Wendy's "restaurante"

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
And what makes you think you are not part of the 1%?? As long as you are in the DR and you "fellowshipping" with the 1% it means you part of them too. And it makes you no better complaining about the 1%, MAYBE THE QUESTION IS WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT IT??

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
la gente comemierda in the DR make me miss the down to earth genuineness of people I know in showbuisness.

They have creases in their blue jeans. nuff said.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The 1% is not whom you saw. You were seeing the people in the top 50% but certainly not the top 1%. This, there is the 1% and the rest of us are the 99% is BS.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I used to drive an old Ford van.It was in perfect condition,new paint,"Rims & Tires",lots of Halogen Lights on the bumpers and the top,to blind people who drove with their "High Beams" on,"Defensa" front and rear,new uppolstry,I LOVED it!
A "Dominicano Rico",told me that I was embarassing my children when I dropped them off at "Colegio Arroyo Hondo",because I drove an old "GuaGua",and I should get a new "yipeta"!
Sadly,I totaled the van,you should have seen the "Other Guy",it was worth it!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
This is why my heart is set in Santiago.Nothing like Cibaeno hospitality."

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Santiago even more stuck up, the people in KFC and TGIF act like they are eating lobster pulling up in Lexus SUVs.

That's the impression I received.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You haven't reached to understand how Dominicana think, when you think the 'rich' consider Wendy's high end. Yes they brag about the schools their children go to and like to show off with their vehicles but when they go to Wendy's they go because it's nicer for the children than going to mitre or la dolcerie

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That's ONLY on Sunday afternoon,the ONLY time when Dominican parents are forced to spend any time with their kids!
The rest of the week,the "Rich Kids" are with the "Nannies",and the "Poor Kids" are with "Abuelita"! :ermm::ermm::ermm:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Last Thanksgiving, my bf and I had dinner at TGIFridays( ugghh, I know..), 2 tables over from us was a husband, wife, 2 twin boys of about 2 years old, and 2 nannies dressed in Scrubs. After they left, ( children holding hands with their respective nanny, not mom) the waiter overheard me commenting to bf about how nice it was that the nannies are treated like family,( meaning what the family eats, nannies eat). The waiter told us that the nannies had to share a plate and also share a soda, and he felt bad so he brought them each a drink..On top of that waiter was only left a 32 peso tip...That was the day I learned that money can buy you anything, except class...