divorce in USA valid in DR?

Morenito0211

Dec 18, 2009
Hello everyone...Am not sure if this was answered already or not, I tried a search and could not find any info on it, I was married in DR, we are both dominicans, she has a green card and I have citizenship. We got divorced about 8 years ago here in NJ, but someone told me that we are still legally married in DR. Is this true?

Thanks in advance

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
BALLS!! You are divorced. Just be sure to have your divorce decree translated and filed in the Civil Registry or what ever the process may be. You probably do need to file something, but it can't be very complicated.

And, so what? Who really cares what is in the DR? You live and work in the US, right? If you decide to get re-married in the US, nobody is going to ask you for a Dominican Proof of Being Single, are they???

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Most ,if not all,countries recognoze legal marriges,and divorces in other countries.
Can you imagine the implications if they didn't???
When I married a Dominicana 17 years ago here in the DR,I had to get a "Form" from the US embassy stating that I was not married in the USA.It cost $25 US and I got it in one day.
The best part is,at the bottom of the form there was a "disclaimer" stating the could not be sure!
They got $25 US anyway!
I know an American that was married here,"Con Papeles", to three Dominicanas at the same time!
No problems.
He died of a heart attack.
I say he "Wanted To"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC