Message From US Embassy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Consular Section is pleased to announce the integration of the American Citizens Services (ACS) unit, to the Consular Public Liaison Hub effective May 1, 2012. The purpose of the ACS integration to the Hub is to improve the quality of customer service to American citizens provided by the Consular Section. All inquiries and communication regarding American Citizens Services will be processed by this unit. The Public Liaison Hub will respond to email inquiries within two business days. After May 1, 2012, please send any inquiries to SDOAmericans@state.gov.

As part of our program to improve customer service, the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit will no longer receive telephone inquiries by the public. We will continue to accept phone calls from U.S. Congressional and governmental offices as well as from Dominican Governmental offices.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Great news, now you cannot speak to a human being, only send an EMail. What will they think of next to "help".

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
"As part of our commitment to customer service, not actually awnsering your calls will be protocol now instead of something we do for fun."

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fortunately those of us on the North Coast have the office in Puerto Plata. I assume they will still answer the phone since not
mentioned. That has always been a better choice whenever possible to use their services.

Mar 2, 2008
Fortunately those of us on the North Coast have the office in Puerto Plata. I assume they will still answer the phone since not
mentioned. That has always been a better choice whenever possible to use their services.

Hopefully that will remain true, Ken. But since we recently lost the driving force behind that good service we might not be so well served in the future.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Customer Service",that is a big pile of $HIT!!!
WHAT "SERVICE"????
They are a bunch of pathetic loosers,over paid,under worked,and if you think those Secret Service agents in Columbia wer bad,I can tell stories about US consul workers and their prostitutes.
At the "Highest Levels"!
Not ambasador,but "close"!!!
And the embassy guard's, "Marine House" was more like a "Whore House"!
I liked THAT!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is also a US Consul office in Palma Real Mall in Bavaro. Don't know if they answer phones though, but they have a nice big office with a lot of people doing nothing.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Is this the old phone service where I had to first go to the bank and buy time to talk to them?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
The US consulate in santo domingo is the only consulate I have ever been to where citizens of the country get treated worse than the foreigners applying for a visa. Each time I have gone to the consulate there was a long line for the window. I was sick one time and standing up for an hour under the hot sun, with no shade was torture. At the same time there was a ton of dominicans sitting down in the shade, with fans blowing a breeze and watching TV.

The brasilian consulate in miami all visitors get to sit in a nice office with AC. In DR we are practically on line in the parking lot. . .

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can speak to a live person after they snoop around the DR banks to see what US citizens have, and how they can get their greedy hands on your money.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Agree with all. My experience with the embassy in SD was one of the worst. The most distasteful part was when they refuse to give a reason for being turned down for a visa. Its a big game and you will not be told the rules. Once you are out of the US you are on your own. Within the US there are lots of politicans to handle your complaints. In the DR you have no one to assist you. Since the US cannot contol its borders and stop illegal immigration they turn to the legals and make it as expensive, time consuming and frustrating as possible. Maybe you will give up and go away!! To refuse to talk with you on the phone is typical. They do not want to answer questions. Thank God I am done with these people.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I was in Buenos Aires not long ago with my Dominican girlfriend and we stopped in at the DR Consul. You would think we were old friends or conquering heros the way we were treated. Cafe Santo Domingo, donuts, and Brugal. And we just went to say hello.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I was in Buenos Aires not long ago with my Dominican girlfriend and we stopped in at the DR Consul. You would think we were old friends or conquering heros the way we were treated. Cafe Santo Domingo, donuts, and Brugal. And we just went to say hello.

Yeah but were you allowed to enter with your cell phone? Did they have a woman across the street that will guard your cell for 50 pesos? lol

My dominican GF has been to BA with me 4 times. We pretty much live in BA for 1 or 2 months per year. I'll make sure to take her to the consulate to say hello next trip. Thanks for the heads up!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
US Embssy Issues "Clarification" Re Phone Calls

We regret that the last message sent caused some confusion about how ACS office would receive telephone calls. As was stated in the last mail, all calls will be received by the Consular Public Liaison Hub effective May 1, 2012. All emergency calls will continue to be handled as before by calling (809 221-2171, 24 hours a day, 365 days. The only change in ACS services is the consolidation of all consular communications to one hub. </pre>

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I wonder if the U.S. Embassy has any idea how many U.S. citizens in the Dominican Republic DO NOT regularly read DR1? This is the sole communication to the American citizens residing and living in the Dominican Republic? That's pretty surprising to me since I know many, many Americans who seldom use a computer much less know about DR1.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I wonder if the U.S. Embassy has any idea how many U.S. citizens in the Dominican Republic DO NOT regularly read DR1? This is the sole communication to the American citizens residing and living in the Dominican Republic? That's pretty surprising to me since I know many, many Americans who seldom use a computer much less know about DR1.

You're right, but what would the alternative be? Dominican postal system??

In today's day and age, there isn't much excuse for not having an e-mail address, unless you're talking about someone in their 90s.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

DR1 is not the only source. Many notices from the Embassy don't get posted here. I get them by email because I am registered with the Embassy. US citizens in the DR are always being encouraged to register. Those who do are emailed the notices. I believe you can also get them by phone message if you don't have a computer.