Motorcycle trip through Haiti and the Dominican Republic

chalex

Apr 25, 2012
Hello dr1!

Here's the scoop: a friend of mine and I are traveling through Haiti and the DR in June on motorcycles. We are starting in Haiti, where I currently live, and will loop around the entire island.

We're both American, and it will be his first time to Hispaniola, but I know Haiti pretty well and I am very aware of some of the precarious conditions, ie terrible roads, crime, political instability, corruption, and of course tropical weather.

I've traveled to the DR a couple of times, but have never driven my own vehicle across the border. How does that work? Will it be a huge hassle or do you think the Dominican authorities will make a fuss? We'll be driving small 150cc bikes with Haitian plates, registered with Haitian authorities and having Haitian insurance.

Any other advice for the trip?

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
How long? If it is a short trip maybe hire Dominican small bikes for a week or so or buy second hand in DR and export to Haiti. Enquire further but I undrstand in the border towns there is a market for DR bikes sold by Dominicans, they are bought and registered by Haitians. I cannot answer if Haiti plates are OK in DR. Interested in visiting Haiti but have been put off.
Take care in DR fit bike alarms etc. - unregistered etc. bikes are very attractive.

pi2

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
My advice is to rethink your trip entirely. The best outfit on the island for doing these trips is Motocaribe.com. It's owned and operated by an American expat who goes by the handle "Cobraboy" on this board.

Yes, it'll be more expensive, but his trips are mostly-inclusive (everything but alcohol), feature much larger 650cc V-Stroms, and he's certainly identified some really choice spots.

I sense you're looking to do more of a "motorcycle diaries" kind of trip, but trust, you'll get a lot more for your money with him.

motocaribe.com.

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
Above mentioned advice is the best!

Because otherwise it will be only the two of you.
Do you speak any Spanish??
There are trip reports on this board, from people who had a fantastic time, and beautiful photo's, with above mentioned company. That company knows the nicest routes and difference in landscape and people of the DR.

Try and do a search for mentioned company on DR1.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
How long? If it is a short trip maybe hire Dominican small bikes for a week or so or buy second hand in DR and export to Haiti. Enquire further but I undrstand in the border towns there is a market for DR bikes sold by Dominicans, they are bought and registered by Haitians. I cannot answer if Haiti plates are OK in DR. Interested in visiting Haiti but have been put off.
Take care in DR fit bike alarms etc. - unregistered etc. bikes are very attractive.

pi2

That does not make any sense... He wants to ride his own bike and not buy a used garbage bike that he might not be sure if it will make the entire trip.

Also, do you never get out of Las Terrenas and visit other parts of DR? There are tons of vehicles with Haiti plates all over the place! Too much mamajuana today for you man lol

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
It should be a good trip, keep on the main roads, have all your paperwork handy, and don't drive at night.....I see quite a few vehicles from Haiti every week, and they don't seem to be amphibians so they must have driven them across the border......pi2 just puffs and puffs and puffs, but he don't pass.....

oh by the way Motocaribe is another good option to consider

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just do your paperwork. There are hundreds of vehicles with Haitian plates circulating on DR Roads.

If you come across at Jiman?, you will have a long ride to Santo Domingo, but it should be interesting. A lot depends on what you want to see and do.

If you go further East, you need to really plan.

Are you thinking of going back through Dajabon? Making a circuit?

Let us know your ideas and maybe we can help a little bit. It is certainly doable.

HB

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Are you going to just circle the entire island or are you going to hit the central Cibao areas too?

chalex

Apr 25, 2012
Thanks for the replies!

The trip will be roughly 17 days, split between Haiti and the DR. I'm a seasoned traveler, young, and have lived in Haiti for the past year, so moto caribe is a nice option but I'm ok with roughing it. Working on a route map, but we're taking it easy, especially on the ridiculously terrible roads in Haiti, so our even tall trip might not look like the original one that is planned.

Not fluent in Spanish, but know enough to get around. Used to speak Portuguese when I was a teen and it comes back to me when I try and speak an Iberian language.

Its good to know that there are haiti tags driving around in the DR. A circuit around along the coast is a rough plan, but not at all opposed to going inland a bit.having driven in the DR before, I know that getting around will be a thousand times easier and faster than in Haiti.

We'll be sure to use street smarts, and definitely will keep the bikes well locked. They are very attractive targets.

Thanks for the posts! If you have any more info, feel free to shoot it his way!

chalex

Apr 25, 2012
So my friend made a frank statement.

"Take me to a beach where no white man has been in a hundred years"

Haha, any ideas? I find it unlikely that will happen in the DR, but I'm planning on getting pretty rural in Haiti.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010

Haha, any ideas? I find it unlikely that will happen in the DR, but I'm planning on getting pretty rural in Haiti.

Find a new traveling companion? (Haha, just an idea!)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Hello Charles,

If you are driving through the North Coast and thinking of roughing it up by taking the El Choco track instead of the way along the coast between Sosua and Sabaneta...forget it, the bridge near Sabaneta is gone since a couple of weeks and no info when they plan to build it again.

Have fun!

Acira

chalex

Apr 25, 2012
El Choco?

In Haiti, only the three main national highways have bridges over the rivers... DR is going to be heaven! Thanks for the bridge update.

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
"We are starting in Haiti, where I currently live, and will loop around the entire island. We'll be driving small 150cc bikes..."

My advice is to get bigger bikes. 150cc bikes are simply not big enough for extended rides with gear on Dominican roads.

Preston

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012

ahhhh I get it.........``To Boldly go where no man has gone before``

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Believe it or not a small bike is not bad if one stops every hour and a half or so, at least based on doing a couple of trips on my Yamaha 125. The advantage is the speeds are generally 50 or less so there is little breeze to buffet one and being lightweight one doesn't get as tired. If one wants to cruise on average at 60 or more a bigger bike makes sense.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Enter the DR through Dajabon and head to Montecristi, on the northwestern shore. From there take the northerly road, the one that rides along the coast, not the main road. It is in many parts a dirt road but believe it can be done with a motorbike. You will pass by many beaches to have for yourself -- recall the names of Popy and Magante. And then head to Punta Rucia and spend the night at one of the small lodges there, and to La Ensenada beach. From there, suggest you continue all the way to the northeast to get to Las Galeras and Playa Rincon. In all those places there will not be much traffic, making driving safer. I would keep to the north coast and leave coming south for another trip.

chalex

Apr 25, 2012
150cc is enough

The tips are great. Thanks.

A 150 is tiny, but here in Haiti, it's pretty big, as seeing anything more than a 125 on th road is pretty rare. Granted, the DR has roads 1000x better than Haiti, but we'll stick to the lessor roads unless we have to get on the main highways. We're not in a race, and while a bigger bike would be more comfortable, our budget and the fact that we're doing some really rough terrain means sticking to the smaller bikes.

With the amount I'm going to have to be picking up my bike during the Perado to pedernales via thiotte route, a light one will be a godsend!

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
I've been a biker all of my life, and I can't even BEGIN to imagine driving all the way around the island on a 150cc bike.

I have done it a few times in a topless Jeep Wrangler, and loved it, but a on a small bike?

topless? Man too much dust on the dirt roads. Even more if there is a heavy truck in front of you. How many pounds of dirt did you eat on that trip? lol

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
The tips are great. Thanks.

A 150 is tiny, but here in Haiti, it's pretty big, as seeing anything more than a 125 on th road is pretty rare. Granted, the DR has roads 1000x better than Haiti, but we'll stick to the lessor roads unless we have to get on the main highways. We're not in a race, and while a bigger bike would be more comfortable, our budget and the fact that we're doing some really rough terrain means sticking to the smaller bikes.

With the amount I'm going to have to be picking up my bike during the Perado to pedernales via thiotte route, a light one will be a godsend!

Are you hitting the central mountains?