Fix your noise problem

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If you want to control a noise problem contact the Procurador in person and remember to be polite. :)

I just saw news on CDN about a colmado close to my house that the Procurador is going to close or confiscate the music system. Also, the Procurador was commenting that his office receives a great deal of complaints about loud music and has shut down many businesses, even a church.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo brought me about 10 sets of ear plugs from europe. i intend to buy a lot more when i go there next month. what a bliss!

as far as solving the noise problem: nothing better than living in a guarded community of gringos. i lived among dominicans for a little over a year. my hearing is permanently damaged now... :(

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Down the road about 1/2 mile from our house is an evangelical church, and while I could 'turn it off' my husband couldn't. Each and every night the drums drove him nuts, the same tune for hours on end. Then they sing. Loudly Off Key. More karaoke than hymns, if you ask me. Torrential rains didn't deter them. Lack of electricity didn't deter them. Seven days a week.

The neighbors got together and an agreement was reached. No drums or singing or music after 9.30 p.m. It actually worked!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Infernal Noise from Believers

I just saw news on CDN about a colmado close to my house that the Procurador is going to close or confiscate the music system. (...) and has shut down many businesses, even a church.

That's why today is "International Noise Awareness Day".
But this won't change anything in the Dominican Republic.

I know of many cases where the place was shut down for noise.
Next day same noise again.

Last week there was a 3-day (rather3-night) evangelists cruzade in Las Terrenas.
You could hear their infernal hallelujah yelling (every 10 seconds) in places four miles away.
IMO, these hipocryts have a carnival license all year round.

Don't fool yourself, "Ley No. 287-04 sobre Prevenci?n, Supresi?n y Limitaci?n de Ruidos Nocivos y Molestos que producen contaminaci?n sonora" has been in "force" for eight years without any effect.

To have a quieter country you'd have to exchange the entire population. :cheeky:

donP

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
(As a visitor) I find the level of noise much lower than some years ago.

I remember the times where I was awaken ever single night by cars with vocinas a todo dar, people shouting, etc.. Besides my house I could have 3 or 4 people at night playing their bachata at full level. Now it's so silent I almost miss it!

Also, I think that when talking about sound levels, we should consider the quality of the doors, and especially the windows. I have Dominican style window, it makes NO difference with the persianas we used to have in the house. If we had the same double (or triple) glazed US or european style, the story would be so different I'm sure.

Barnab?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
These "evangelicos" seem to have one mission: to turn everyone who hears them off religion and to upset all tourists, causing local economies to suffer. For the last few months we have had some nutter in Callejon, Cabarete, starting his religious rants with a full volume speaker system, any time from 5a.m. most days, with the racket drifting across the lagoon to awaken all but the dead. He's certainly not converting me to his cause!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My neighborhood is very quiet but some neighbor in a street in the back has his son over from abroad now and then who plays extremely loud music afternoons and nights. I've called the noise pollution department of the police but they say: he turns it down when he sees us coming, we need to be able to catch him in the act to be able to take away his equipment. Happily it lasts only like two or three weeks and we are back to bird noises and playing children (mine) in the middle of the city

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Loud music is bad, but most of the loud music is also distorted as hell. Crappy systems pumping music through crappy speakers at speaker blowing volumes and dominicans don't even notice. I have walked into bars where the music was so loud and worse distorted I left without buying a beer. None of the employees noticed or cared, and there were zero to none patrons.

Years ago I lived above a colmado and one weekend the tigre working the counter was blasting the tunes way louder than normal at 2 am. I went down and told him to turn it down. He refused. I pulled the plug. The local tigres all wanted to kill me. . .lol.

I went upstairs and he turned it up louder. I went back down and pulled the plug. He was now striking a menacing pose with his machete while cutting limons. I told him if he turned it up again he would be fired. He did and he was.

Spoke to the owner the next day. Told him I play guitar. Told him I suck at playing guitar. If he didn't fire the lil **** I would bring my guitar amp out to the balcon and "practice" all night. I assured him that with me blasting some loud and bad rock and roll from my balcony. . . .nobody would be able to bear sitting in his colmado at night.

Adios muchacho. . . .BTW the same tigre had my ex GF's son come upstairs crying 2-3 times. The kid was 6 and this tigre was relentlessly on his case. . . .adios. . .

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Savages

I went down and told him to turn it down. He refused. I pulled the plug. The local tigres all wanted to kill me. . .lol.

Well, they do.

[video=youtube;HzYqyI-X5TQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzYqyI-X5TQ[/video]

donP

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Only man made structure hat can be seen from Space, the Great wall of China ! The only country that can be heard from Space, Dominican Republic !

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
would it work for dog noise- there are many measures my neighbour could implement to stop noise, but she says her dogs dont bark lol so no point talking to her again as the last time didnt go too well (I was told to go away and die)

would help if they couldnt see the main road from the garden me thinks

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Last week there was a 3-day (rather3-night) evangelists cruzade in Las Terrenas.
You could hear their infernal hallelujah yelling (every 10 seconds) in places four miles away.
IMO, these hipocryts have a carnival license all year round.

donP

I never experienced these "Evangelicos" other than being a "PITA". Nothing more, nothing less, wish they would all fade away...

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Its their country and its their music. Nothing will changed them not even a earthquake. The first think they will do afterward is
to by new loudspeakers. So if you live here accept the dominican way of living which include red light running in the traffic, garbage in the streets, noise, and all that other nice behaviors they have.
I been here about 6 years after making the mistake to move here. As soon as I can i will leave.
In the meantime, If you can't beat them, join them!!!!!!!

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
If you want to control a noise problem contact the Procurador in person and remember to be polite. :)

I just saw news on CDN about a colmado close to my house that the Procurador is going to close or confiscate the music system. Also, the Procurador was commenting that his office receives a great deal of complaints about loud music and has shut down many businesses, even a church.

I have not heard of this (Procurdor)office or official . Is this a local or regiional dept. What are they? Would you have a contact? I was told that the only thing I can do is go to the fiscal.
Can anyone here tell us what they have done to solve this problem. ? I can't seem to find th thread on this.Thanks for any help.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have not heard of this (Procurdor)office or official . Is this a local or regiional dept. What are they? Would you have a contact? I was told that the only thing I can do is go to the fiscal.
Can anyone here tell us what they have done to solve this problem. ? I can't seem to find th thread on this.Thanks for any help.

I expect the fiscal works in the Procuraduria office.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't waste your time!!!
They,(Any "PRO-Anything" Government Office) "May" make a "show",but you will NEVER stop DUMINICANS" from being DUMINICANS!
(I know I once promissed to never use "DUMBINICANS" on DR1 again,I lied!
It just PI$$ES off too many people ,and "Says-It-All" so perfectly,I hereby,and forthwith,rescind my promise.
I will,use it "sparingly"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I dont want to stop Dominicans lol, they are well behaved here, the music always goes off before 9.30