Where's the best beach town for long term stay?

Heidi

Apr 25, 2012
Looking for someplace to stay with my family for the month of Nov. and Dec. maybe longer. I'm looking on the southern and eastern coast because that's where I hear the good scuba is for that time of year. La Romana, Punta Cana, Juan Dolio, La Calete...........?

Our criteria
1. relatively safe
2. close to excellent scuba and snorkel spots
3. can live walking distance to beautiful beaches for under $1000 a month
4. able to do our shopping in town
5. good internet connection (husband works online)

Maybe I'm being too picky:nervous: I don't know. Any input you can give me will be very helpful. Thank you so much!

Heidi

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Looking for someplace to stay with my family for the month of Nov. and Dec. maybe longer. I'm looking on the southern and eastern coast because that's where I hear the good scuba is for that time of year. La Romana, Punta Cana, Juan Dolio, La Calete...........?

Our criteria
1. relatively safe
2. close to excellent scuba and snorkel spots North Shore is better
3. can live walking distance to beautiful beaches for under $1000 a month Not going to happen anywhere unless you live like beach bums
4. able to do our shopping in town Sorry but you cannot have shopping and beach except in Sosua, Puerto Plata and Cabarete, and maybe Nagua.
5. good internet connection (husband works online) North Shore again and it costs money.

Maybe I'm being too picky:nervous: I don't know. (you are)Any input you can give me will be very helpful. Thank you so much!

Look at other options: Such as a nice city that will allow you to get to a beach by public transportation within a reasonable time frame. You cannot work and snorkle at the same time. Perhaps Juan Dolio or La Romana can offer some of what you want, but there are no beaches in La Romana--they are close by. Your internet connection might become an important element in this. However on $1000 a month? not likely, doable, but tough going, IMHO

I hope this is not too discouraging, I am sure there will be a lot of other opinions on this move of yours...

HB
Heidi

I wonder what more I should add?????

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Heidi,

You've had the benefit of some of DR1's more "heavy hitters" chiming in quickly. My advice is to take theirs to heart. You can live well (and on a fraction of the money) in a town like Santiago, which is beautiful, has pleasant weather, and is only about two hours away from everything else in the country.

Punta Cana is a pure tourist resort area. Beautiful, but very little in the way of diverse shopping there.

Also consider some of the towns on the Samana peninsula. Very quiet and "placid," but maybe that's what you're really looking for.

If you MUST be super-close to the beach, you may want to consider doubling your housing budget for something that will comfortably accommodate five people.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Take a look at Condos Domincano in Sosua: Condos Dominicano :: El Batey, Sosua, Dominican Republic Their advertised price for 2 bedrooms is within your budget. You can walk from there to shopping and to Sosua Beach. Quiet neighborhood, just a few blocks from center of town.

Wherever you decide on, you will need to reserve soon. Your dates are getting you into what we call the high season and demand picks up, also the prices.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
1. relatively safe. The safest areas are those where there are no beaches, no tourists and no expats. Apart from that just take sensible precautions.
2. close to excellent scuba and snorkel spots. Best is definitely South coast - Bayahibe
3. can live walking distance to beautiful beaches for under $1000 a month - Bayahibe
4. able to do our shopping in town - need to go to La Romana which is around 30 mins,
5. good internet connection (husband works online) - throughout the country

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Damn! How come nobody mentioned Barahona? hahaha Just joking.. I know why you didn't.. :)

1. relatively safe Far from safe --Definitely not safe.. ;)
2. close to excellent scuba and snorkel spots Great places
3. can live walking distance to beautiful beaches for under $1000 a month Most Definitely
4. able to do our shopping in town Depends what kind of shopping you are referring to.
5. good internet connection (husband works online) Depends on the location

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Most of the good residential areas in Punta Cana/B?varo are safe.

PC/B?varo good for scuba and snorkeling - though Bayahibe is supposed to be better

Under $1000 a month + walking distance from beautiful beaches - yes, in places like Los Corales, a beachside residential complex.

Able to do shopping in town - Punta Cana-B?varo is not a town, it's a 40km sprawl, and although there is good quality large-scale shopping (San Juan shopping centre, Palma Real, Punta Cana Village) none of this is within walking distance of beachfront residential areas. It's either/or. However, somewhere like Los Corales has smaller supermarkets and shops to meet most basic needs.

Good internet connection - well, as good as any in the country, as opposed to what I would call good. :tired:

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I believe Matilda came initially here to scuba dive. Would listen to her.

1. relatively safe. The safest areas are those where there are no beaches, no tourists and no expats. Apart from that just take sensible precautions.
2. close to excellent scuba and snorkel spots. Best is definitely South coast - Bayahibe
3. can live walking distance to beautiful beaches for under $1000 a month - Bayahibe
4. able to do our shopping in town - need to go to La Romana which is around 30 mins,
5. good internet connection (husband works online) - throughout the country

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
very, very surprised that no one has mentioned Las Terrenas, Heidi, it has most of what you are looking for, Check it out.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
sh! sh! let me share a secret ma lives on a small island some miles from nowhere with her partner.
pi2

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
sh! sh! let me share a secret ma lives on a small island some miles from nowhere with her partner.
pi2

i know that you put that period in there

thankfully

because it came dangerously close to implying that I was partners with YOU

which, I believe, in this country .. would be grounds for a libel suit

perish the thought,

perish the thought

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I am not touting for tourists for my benefit, where we live and our life style does not bring us much into contact with them, I?m happy to say but I feel that advices given on this forum seem to concentrate on the Sosua, Boca Chica, Santiago and SD areas. Viva LT! Unknowing tourists merit some good recommendations.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
LT is only good to visit. You don't get the real DR feel and there are too many Euro pushing their cigar smoke around!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Smoking Pests

LT(...) there are too many Euro pushing their cigar smoke around!

Correct.
Most of the Europeans in Las Terrenas smoke. They are a pest in every restaurant and a varmint to the environment, flicking their cigarette butts in every corner. :devious:

donP