SD: what's best, house or apartment?

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
I have a question for those of you who live in SD (or Santiago, since this is a big city also):

Do you live in a house, or in an apartment? What option do you think is best, from your experience?

I know there are many issues to consider (costs, security, transportation, location, resale issues, etc..).

Please go ahead and share,

Barnab?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
To start, make your number 1 priority security.....
I first lived in an apartment with 24/7 everything in LA TRINITERIA........very secure.....
Now live in a little house in EL ENSUENO about a 5 minute walk to the Monument and I feel just as safe..........
It's an older established area, especially the street I live on.....
and ALL my neighbors look out for one another......very important...

B in Santiago

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
House! I lived in an apartment in Los Cacicazgos and moved to a house in las Praderas half a year ago. What a change! I hope I never need to go back to an apartment.

We live in a closed project so security is not that big an issue.

The children play outside everyday instead of watching TV. We are not stuck inside but one step out of the door is outside and were still rather centrical

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are closed apartment complexes where children can play outside, not just in the parking area but in gardens. Where we used to live, the Anacaona apartments in Mirador Sur, we had what I consider one of the best possible set-ups in Santo Domingo.

Before that we lived in a larger house in a gated community in Arroyo Hondo, which also had a small communal green area and gazebo but it didn't compare with Anacaona in terms of quality of life and location. Both were fairly safe, and both had a reasonably good level of community solidarity.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
House! I lived in an apartment in Los Cacicazgos and moved to a house in las Praderas half a year ago. What a change! I hope I never need to go back to an apartment.

We live in a closed project so security is not that big an issue.

The children play outside everyday instead of watching TV. We are not stuck inside but one step out of the door is outside and were still rather centrical

I have lived in SD for about 10 years. I have always lived in an apt. I travel a bunch for work and leaving a house alone while I am gone for 2-4 weeks or sometimes 3 months, seems risky.

When we lived in gazcue the maid stayed in the apt for the 3 months we were gone each year. Last year we left the apt empty and just had the novia's family check on it once in a while. The current apt is more closed in and private, plus has 24/7 wathcy men and gated parking lot. Certainly not a luxury apt or complex but I feel safe.

As far as feeling closed in with apt living, I don't see it that way. We don't have kids but have nieces and nephews that love to visit. There is a small play area downstairs with swings etc. There is a smaller kid pool in the neighboring complex which they can also use.

The GF can get hair and nails done, but ice cream or pizza, buy desert from a bakery all without leaving the building. A few blocks away is mirador sur which is sht down a few hours daily for jogging, skating, biking etc. Lots of play areas as well.

If we want a cool breeze we can walk 4 blocks to the malecon, even if that requires walking through a neighborhood that isn't as nice as Gazcue was when we lived there.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
A house is great, you need the garden so you can do stuff. If you are in an apartment then you are restricted and end up having to go out just to be out, if you get my meaning, all this ends up in more costs and is just a general pain in the arse. If you have kids or plan on them then an apartment is a nightmare, I wouldn't even consider an apartment with no garden or enclosed space to play in.

Pretty much above all security is the main concern, other than that the norm applies, and there is little you don't already know.

Knowing what you know would you really buy in one of the big cities?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The apartments with gardens near Anacaona are great, I still like my house + green area better while in those gardens instill would like to supervise the children playing (and I don't want a nanny) while in our residencial they can play 'alone'. And besides I like to be the 'king of my castle' and paint or not paint when I want, to give an example. But if I would have to go back to an apartment for whatever reason, those apartments are definitely an option.

If I would be traveling a lot I would probably choose an apartment as well while it's easier to close and leave unattended.

All my brothers in law live in apartments or pent houses and since we moved to where we live now they realize it's better than an apartment and are considering looking for a house.

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
Waytogo: is this a gated community?
We want security, but are trying to balance it out... don't want to live in a gated community per se, but don't want to put my family at risk. Any advice?

beyondnyc

Feb 23, 2012
When I first got here, I stayed with my friends in their apartment. It was a nice building and the neighborhood is a gated community. The way they gated this community is cool because it not obvious. It looks like a regular barrior from the outside. Once you drive in it a lot different. I ended up renting part of a house. There is a back yard with lots of room and my own coconut tree and mango tree. It really is more space than I need. I do leave sometimes for a week or two to go back to the states. I have someone here who check in on the house when I am not here. Also the landlady and her husband keep an eye on things.

Liong

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
When I first got here, I stayed with my friends in their apartment. It was a nice building and the neighborhood is a gated community. The way they gated this community is cool because it not obvious. It looks like a regular barrior from the outside. Once you drive in it a lot different. I ended up renting part of a house. There is a back yard with lots of room and my own coconut tree and mango tree. It really is more space than I need. I do leave sometimes for a week or two to go back to the states. I have someone here who check in on the house when I am not here. Also the landlady and her husband keep an eye on things.

Liong

What city? Santiago or SD?

If Santiago, what part of town?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
We live in a apartment in Santo Domingo, El Million area but have a house in the campo for getaways. We built the house with the idea later in life we would give up living in the Capital and move to the campo.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I live in an apartment in SD. For me, this is the best as I can leave it empty with no worries as it is very secure.

I have seen some gorgeous high end houses .. complete with swimming pools.. in SD .. but way beyond my purse.. and frankly, I think that they would be isolating.

But if you have kids.. and do not plan on travelling much,.. then a house might be lovely.

The security issue is harder with a house but so much depends on the neighborhood and neighbors. Plus the maintenance and upkeep -- I doubt that DR landlords of houses are any better at repairs than landlords of apartments.

I was also warned away from a house by another expat who had had one and been robbed lots of times.. but it really so much depends on where you are and what the security it around your own place. Sometimes the security is armed watch men, sometimes it is the noisy chiuaua next door.

But, at least in SD, there is a wide variety of both to chose from.

Some of the apartments here are HUGE.. . with great balconies.. I have a hammock on mine which , along with my plants, gives me the illusion of garden without the work.

Occasionally, I go hug a tree down in the parking area.

and for rent for a much better price than you would find in the States.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
I guess it would depend were in the city you want to live.

I'll probably always have an apartment here in SD because I always want to be Piantini / Evaristo Morales / Naco, and I'm sure it would be impossible to find a house in my price range.

Are you going alone? Partner? Kids? I guess that would make a difference.

I live in Serralles now, in a apartment/office building and I'm liking it, there is a watchy in the evenings, but I would be fine without him.

beyondnyc

Feb 23, 2012
PCMissionary,

I live in Santo Domingo. Costa Verde. It is a nice little neighborhood. There is an opera singer, two baseball players and a general that live here too. No crazy security. And the house is three block from the water over looking from a cliff.

Liong

What city? Santiago or SD?

If Santiago, what part of town?