How those in the dom rep are most likely to die

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I always believed that most of the people in the DR die of old age, as anywhere else...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
the brown recluse is here... but bites are extremely rare, and in most cases not deadly...

Stop exagerating...

BelgianK

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I always believed that most of the people in the DR die of old age, as anywhere else...

I doubt it with only 4.9% (according to wiki)of the population being over 65 year old. I think much goes down to not receiving treatment for illness at an older age.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003

slipped in the tub and broke her skull

Now that is scary.....a friend of mine's sister recently died of that in santo domingo.

There used to be an american in santo domingo that i met in the late 80s, that everyone called 'happy jack'.
He used to be around bloody mary's/drakes a lot and as his name goes, always seemed happy.
He always used to wear shorts as well (medical reasons i guess), which exposed the gammiest of gammiest legs you ever did see in your life.
I was told that this, really horrible sight, was a result of some kind of spider (from a coral - think he was a diver) that was eating away at his leg.
The leg really looked green and putrid, but didn't smell gangrenous or anything.
Apparently it could have been quite easy to clear up if he had taken a trip back to the US.

Can only presume he is dead now.....wonder if he was one of the statistics.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Now that is scary.....a friend of mine's sister recently died of that in santo domingo.

There used to be an american in santo domingo that i met in the late 80s, that everyone called 'happy jack'.
He used to be around bloody mary's/drakes a lot and as his name goes, always seemed happy.
He always used to wear shorts as well (medical reasons i guess), which exposed the gammiest of gammiest legs you ever did see in your life.
I was told that this, really horrible sight, was a result of some kind of spider (from a coral - think he was a diver) that was eating away at his leg.
The leg really looked green and putrid, but didn't smell gangrenous or anything.
Apparently it could have been quite easy to clear up if he had taken a trip back to the US.

Can only presume he is dead now.....wonder if he was one of the statistics.

Yes, he died of a brown recluse bite. Years of treatment and skin transplants did not help. He refused to get his leg amputated. Happy Jack's real name was Hal John Ingersson, I remember him well, he was a real character.