As a Canadian Do I Need a Return Ticket?

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
We are planning to arrive in the DR next (May 4th) to stay permanently. We'll be living in Santiago.

We were just notified by our airline that as of April 30th, Canadians require proof of a return ticket. The wording is as follows:

"You must also hold a return ticket or proof of onward travel for entry."

Is there anyway around this, if we don't want to purchase return tickets, since we'll be in the DR long-term?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

HM11

Mar 24, 2012
The travel agent has always told me if I had a problem checking in at the airport, to buy a "refundable" ticket and cancel it upon arrival.

yopote

Jan 22, 2012
any none residents of what ever country needs a return ticket to any where in the world....

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
any none residents of what ever country needs a return ticket to any where in the world....

Not true....sort of. I don't have a return ticket, nor does my wife or any of our friends. That may all change as of April 30th. The law has always been there but never enforced.

yopote

Jan 22, 2012
lucky

my wife just just arrive from ft laurderdale fl. didn't have a return ticket and spirit made her buy the return ticket or else she could not fly.. and had to go home.. she is a canadian/american citizen...

Not true....sort of. I don't have a return ticket, nor does my wife or any of our friends. That may all change as of April 30th. The law has always been there but never enforced.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We are planning to arrive in the DR next (May 4th) to stay permanently. We'll be living in Santiago.

We were just notified by our airline that as of April 30th, Canadians require proof of a return ticket. The wording is as follows:

You must also hold a return ticket or proof of onward travel for entry."

Is there anyway around this, if we don't want to purchase return tickets, since we'll be in the DR long-term?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

You will need a return ticket or RD rresidency......... I wouldn't risk being turned away at the airport and thereby losing your original ticket.

There are numerous posts on this topic.
The consensus is to buy a full priced return ticket and cancel it upon arrival.

Endeavouring to break/circumvent the regulations is a recipe for problems.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
The law is there and i was stopped last time even showing the proof that my residency had expired and it is in the process of renewal. It all depends on the decision of the Immigration officer and airline counters. Last time i was able to convince the airline officials but the Emigration does not allowed me.
But most times you can escape. To avoid unnecessary tension at the last minute it is advised to get a fully refundable return ticket separately and cancel after you arrive here. You will not have any problem in DR on arrival. Even if you do not have passport?????? - Just kidding

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
YOu do need a return ticket and the airline can be fined for permitting you to fly without one ,,just because you may not be asked to produce your return ticket when you arrive does not mean you are within the law ..this the same world wide , There used to be a different law that stated that you must have sufficient funds to buy a return ticket but that has changed..Best to stay within the law .

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
Interestingly, Westjet will still allow you to purchase a one-way ticket to POP on that date (for $612!!) but I wouldn't risk it as you most likely not be permitted to even check in and will be forced to purchase a full fare return flight at the airport. Why even take the chance?

Ella

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Was on Jet Blue's website today.I put in a oneway flight from Boston to Santo Domingo,a "Pop Up" said,"You must have "Proof Of Return" to buy a "One Way" ticket.
I'm going to buy the "Fully Refundable Ticket" next time I return.For The First Time In 35 years!!!
CCCCCCCCC

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
That's what I was expecting to see on Westjet's website too, CC... I was surprised when the only "warning" that popped up was about ensuring that your passport was valid beyond your date of return to Canada. Seems odd to me that they send out the warning email about having a return ticket on the one hand and allow you to purchase a one way ticket online on the other...

Ella

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Ella",I am not a follower of "Conspiracy Theories",BUT,I think that the airlines WANT you to be forced to buy a return ticket at the airport when you try to leave.Then they charge you for an expensive return.
I "Once Upon A Time",flew "Eastern" to the DR.Then "American Airlines" Forever!
"AA" started to "$UCK" sooooooooooo bad,that I swithched to "Jet Blue" about 3 years ago.
"So Far",I have been VERY HAPPY with Jet Blue!!!!!!
I'll be flying with them this Sunday,SD to Boston.Non-Stop,"More Legroom Seat"($25.Extra,and worth every penny,includes early boarding,AND ANYONE who has ever boarded a plane with "DominiCAN'Ts" knows what I mean!!??)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcc