Newbie to the board come on and bring in the bashing!! jk

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
I am American and have been to the DR a few times now, my next trip is in June for a few weeks with the family. We are making this our trial run before taking the plunge and moving fulltime to the Sosua area. I love the DR.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Thanks Der Fish I love to crack jokes at my own expense. It seems to make a conversation go along better and make friends easier.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Welcome to Sosua!! We've lived here 2 years now and we love it!! Where are you from in the States?

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Middle of nowhere in Wyoming, we are tired of all the cold weather so we are moving down to enjoy the weather and to experience the cultural for our kids long term benefit. I will just travel back and forth to the states for work. Hope to meet up with you Corey maybe grab a cold presidente.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
We're from the Buffalo NY area, so we know the cold too ;-). How old are your kids?

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Nope sorry Der Fish but I am not the same poster as in the other thread. I have lived abroad before by myself many years ago and I loved it now I want the same for my children. I believe you are as safe as you make yourselves and what you put yourself into.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
My son will be 16 and my daughter 20, both in August. What are you plans for school?

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
We have applied at ISS but have not heard anything back as of yet. My wife is a certified teacher and she has already looked into doing the home school option if all else fails. I think she may be leaning towards that option anyway to make coming back to the states to visit easier than the kids missing school.

Sohrab

Oct 1, 2010
Bienvenido a la rep?blica dominicana:laugh:
aprenda espa?ol;)
Let's see who is learning faster, you or the kids.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I homeschool my son. ISS is a good school but pretty pricey... There are quite a few families here that homeschool. We have a group that meets on Thursdays, but we are currently on hold because we need a new location to meet.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Thanks for the info Corey we will be down the 31st of May and maybe we can meet up? I will be there for 2 weeks the wife and kids for 24 days that trip. I am sure since she will be there fulltime with the kids she would greatly like meeting other parents for a support group and adult conversation.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
brlatm welcome!

I'm an American father of three here in Santiago. I wish you the best of luck and would recommend you look at Santiago as an option. It has less crime and more things to do and is cooler to the point that AC is not really needed. Also, there are many bilingual schools here for your wife to teach at. Ciao.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Chip thanks for the warm welcome but the city is not an option for us at all. We live in the country now so throwing the kids into a huge city like Santiago would I believe be too much of a culture shock. I think just moving to the DR in general will be a huge enough shock.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip thanks for the warm welcome but the city is not an option for us at all. We live in the country now so throwing the kids into a huge city like Santiago would I believe be too much of a culture shock. I think just moving to the DR in general will be a huge enough shock.

Santiago has many areas where it's almost like living in the campo, like where I live for instance, but with a lot more conveniences. Santiago, while it has a relatively large population is small. I'm on the outskirts and am only 3 miles from downtown. Also, Sosua has a severe problem with crime, prostitution and drugs that is much worse than Santiago. At any rate all the best luck!

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Hi brlatm,
Originally from the east coast of the U.S., we've been in the Sosua/ Cabarete area for 7 years and really enjoy it. No children, but there are many people that raise and educate their children in the area. Definitely not an environment for everyone in that if you are attached to what more developed countries provide, in many ways living here can be overwhelming. Self sufficiency in a variety of respects is very helpful if not essential. We have been asked many times what we like best and our answer is the freedom. No Big Brother deciding everything for you. With that freedom comes a huge responsibility however. With respect to safety:

I believe you are as safe as you make yourselves and what you put yourself into.

I couldn't agree with you more. PM me if you have any personal questions you'd like to ask.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Thanks Cocoboy we don't need everything just right down the street from us we are accustomed to traveling 45 mins now to get groceries so having a mercado just down the street will be nice. The kids just want to maybe take some karate lessons and the other wants to continue dance.