Moving To Puerto Plata!!

amandamichelle

Apr 26, 2012
Hey Everyone, I will be moving to Puerto Plata in July of this year...I am going to be teaching at one of the schools and will be staying near the Playa Darado complex. I have traveled to Dominican many times but being a young female now moving i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of great places to go in the area, restaurants, markets, shopping, nightlife ect. Thanks for everyones help!! :)

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
If you've been there enough wouldn't you know the area by now? Puerto Plata is not that big... Weird... Maybe many times to some is like 2-3 times...

amandamichelle

Apr 26, 2012
I have been to the Dominican 8 times but not always stayed in Puerto Plata, so with me moving to that area even though i have visited before i was just looking for more information from people who know the area well.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
hope it stops raining by the time you get here

take a nice walk from playa dorado to the malecon and get yourself a coconut for 25 pesos

good luck

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, you sound no young and enthusiastic, it will be a challenge for you to navigate bitter waves of dr1 :)
POP is just a village with some paving, small and uniteresting. you will be able to do basic shopping but it's better to go to santiago/SD for clothing. and both places are well worth seeing so you should have fun.
cannot help you with dancing and drining - i never go out for that. plenty of places to eat in POP, from street food to expensive gourment cuisine, just do a search or ask as needed stating budget and expectations.
the only market worth seeing is la pulga - flee market, if you may. but you should only visit with a dominican GF to assure good merchandise and prices. they have new and used clothing, home stuff, anything, really.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You will not be teaching English grammar will you??? Dominican is an adjective and therefore needs a noun...Dominican what?

You get the idea??

Okay, enjoy your stay and drop into Santiago some time..

HB

JimmyGibbon

Jun 24, 2010
Hey Everyone, I will be moving to Puerto Plata in July of this year...I am going to be teaching at one of the schools and will be staying near the Playa Darado complex. I have traveled to Dominican many times but being a young female now moving i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of great places to go in the area, restaurants, markets, shopping, nightlife ect. Thanks for everyones help!! :)

A teacher? Now that's amusing.

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
Dominican could have been a typo. It can also be used as a noun e.g. "I am a Dominican", depending on the context. I hope the commenter is purrfect in everything he/she does. From now on eweryone (oopps typo) should check their grammer (oopps typo), spelling and diction.
By the way I am not and english teacher. Please forgive me.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Since my skin crawls every time I read the "Dominican",when they should be saying "Dominican Republic" I MUST chime in.
It's easy,A Dominican person,lives in the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC!
Or,in "Nueba Yol"!
By-the-way,I'm leaving for the "American" Sunday!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
("Dominican" could have been a "TYPO"?????)
Like what?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Where you headed in the "American"? If you go thru Houston we can offer you a free haircut and a beer in our salon "Dominican".

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Since my skin crawls every time I read the "Dominican",when they should be saying "Dominican Republic" I MUST chime in.
It's easy,A Dominican person,lives in the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC!
Or,in "Nueba Yol"!
By-the-way,I'm leaving for the "American" Sunday!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
("Dominican" could have been a "TYPO"?????)
Like what?

Wasnt it Lambada that really lost it when people said "go to the Dominican"?

Sort of a pet peeve