Adventuring outside the all inclusives...

sobo

Apr 26, 2012
Hello all,
My girlfriend and I will be heading to Punta Cana/Bavaro area in a few days. While we have been looking forward to a relaxing week-long vacation, we know we will probably get pretty bored if we don't adventure around much. I know the little village of Cortecito is close by, but I doubt will relieve the itch to adventure out. She was in peace corps. in Honduras for 3 years a few years back, so is relatively fearless and is fluent.

We have talked about renting a car and driving to La Romana for a day. How hard is this to do, or would a bus be better? Are there decent car rental locations in the resort area? It looks like the route would be to go through Higuey, correct? From what I've read here, Higuey is pretty forgettable other than the "cathedral". Is there anything worth visiting there as far as local food etc?

Is the DR-3 highway completed from the outskirts of Higuey to La Romana yet? I guess I'm looking for the best route from the resorts of Punta Cana to La Romana.

And if anyone has any other places we can drive to (we would probably keep a car for 2-3 days) in under 2 hours so we can sample something more cultured, we would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2007
You will still need to take the "long road" to La Romana, count on 2 hours. On the way there you can make a detour to Yuma and Boca de Yuma (a fishermen village) for some splendid bay sights. Also there is Museo ponce de Leon in Yuma.
Ponce de Le?n Fort Museum

You can also stop in Bayahibe, which after Punta Cana/Bavaro is the second most important tourist area in the east DR.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Might want to go see "La Cueva de las Maravillas"--It's between Romana and San Pedro (don't recall how far). The guide was well versed in Taino traditions. The "tour" only takes about an hour.

[video=youtube;jOfgulsfhpA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOfgulsfhpA[/video]

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
She, your lady friend, may be interested in doing some shopping in La Romana. Across the railroad tracks down next to the ocean are maybe a hundred shops selling ladies underwear wholesale. I take a lady there every once in a while and she buys 5000 pesos worth to resell locally, Not assuming your lady wants to go into the Victoria's Secret business, but may enjoy a few minutes in that part of town.
Der Fish

Ok, I assumed that because he said La Romana, he may have been wanting to go to Altos de Chavon!

Interesting recommendation.

sobo

Apr 26, 2012
You will still need to take the "long road" to La Romana, count on 2 hours. On the way there you can make a detour to Yuma and Boca de Yuma (a fishermen village) for some splendid bay sights. Also there is Museo ponce de Leon in Yuma.
Ponce de Le?n Fort Museum

You can also stop in Bayahibe, which after Punta Cana/Bavaro is the second most important tourist area in the east DR.

Thanks for the suggestions to everyone. Does anyone have information on a good place to rent a car from Punta Cana/Bavaro area and the best route to take to get to La Romana for a daytrip?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
you can rent from budget car rental right there in Bavaro. Near the CocoLoco intersection. If you call them, they'll pick you up at your hotel. There's a map available in the area that's an advertising thing... the kind with small ads around the edges... but the map is pretty good. Best map is Google maps... also can see satellite views too. very helpful for some of the turns etc, as the roads are not marked. I printed a bunch of them along with some of the sat views for reference.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
you can rent from budget car rental right there in Bavaro. Near the CocoLoco intersection. If you call them, they'll pick you up at your hotel. There's a map available in the area that's an advertising thing... the kind with small ads around the edges... but the map is pretty good. Best map is Google maps... also can see satellite views too. very helpful for some of the turns etc, as the roads are not marked. I printed a bunch of them along with some of the sat views for reference.

Two thumbs up for the Google Maps suggestion! If you have access to a smart phone, you can use it that way. I wouldn't travel without it!!!

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Might want to go see "La Cueva de las Maravillas"--It's between Romana and San Pedro (don't recall how far). The guide was well versed in Taino traditions. The "tour" only takes about an hour.

[video=youtube;jOfgulsfhpA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOfgulsfhpA[/video]

Nice link, will add to the list of places to see!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It has been about 6 months since PJT has visited Altos de Chavon. It is a breathtaking stop for one who has not had the opportunity to visit before. It should be tempered that the adminstrators of the location have opted to charge visitors US$ 25 to enter the grounds. It some unique colonial type architecture and of course the amphitheater alongs with shops and restaurants. The few times PJT has visited the site in the last few years, visits ending with the entrance fee, have found the site quite unanimated with most of the shops and restaurants closed. Some of the shop staff explained off to the side, the entrance fee diminished sales.

Best bet as had been suggested is a day trip to Bayahibe, Boca de Yuma, and Ponce de Leon Museum.

Happy traveling and regards,

PJY

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Another suggestion would be visiting the Parque Nacional Los Haitises and staying at Para?so Cano Hondo: Paraiso Ca?o Hondo

It's a 3 hour drive but it's not bad at all. Para?so Ca?o Hondo is a beautiful hotel and you can explore one of the Dominican Republic's most important national parks.

Unfortunately, the east of the country does not have the same natural diversity seen in pretty much the rest of the Dominican Republic. The drive times can be long but with the new highway that will change a bit.