renting a 100 cc motorbike/scooter per month?

Trotamundo

Apr 9, 2011
Hello...

I will be spending several months in the DR next year and am wondering if renting a scooter or small motorbike is something that people do there? I would like to rent one for about a month and am wondering what the rates would be approximately. Thanks.

Trotamundo

Apr 9, 2011
Where in the country do you expect to be?
I would recommend you buy a used one. Can be had for about the same price as a month's rental which would be 1000 pesos a day at the one place I asked about such things.
Der Fish

Thanks. I am not yet sure where I will be living; can the scooters be bought used at many dealers or are they hard to find?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
For RD$1000 per day, you could BUY a brand new one in a little over a month...

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
For RD$1000 a day???
I usually pay that for a "not so new" rental 4 wheel drive SUV. When I rent for about 4 weeks.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I think where you live and if people rent bikes dependents on where you will be living. The issue of buying one will not be a problem, you can buy one at Jumbo supermarket in the Capital for RD27,000 if you want to pick one up while you collect your potatoes. And then make an easy quick sale a couple of months later and having had more than your worth.
However you don't want to be driving it around the Capital, even the local idiots don't drive into the center of the city much. I did find a guy a few year ago that I hired to take me into work every morning rather than drive myself in the traffic, he decided to stop after a couple of weeks. I asked him why and he told me it wasn't worth it as he had to wear a helmet in the center and he didn't like to as it restricted his vision so he couldn't see behind him, lol. He simply was afraid of the traffic in the morning, anthing past 6.
So I don't think it would be much use in the Cap, you need a car around you.

In Jarabacoa it is like a motorbike race at every junction, absolutely EVERYONE has motorbikes, men women and children and so it is a great place to own one, safe enough and repairs everywhere.

Pottering around the Northcoast is probably the most needy place to have one. Recently someone was speaking of Bike jacking going on at gunpoint in Cabarete so I dunno, something to consider, but that can happen anywhere I suppose and not a big deal to worry about. Or is it?

Eastcoast and you are fine, no traffic and the roads are reasonable and the area is safe as it gets.

So I'd think about where you are going to be living if riding a bike around is going to be an important part of your trip. Just worth a thought if you have never been before. The country is too big to be city hopping on a little 100cc YAM.

Just my 2pence.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would opt for a CG 125. These are around 20k something for used in decent condition. They have an advantage over the scooter in that there are much more visible and take bumps a lot easier. If you plan on putting a lot of miles on bad roads on a scooter be prepared for back/neck and kidney problems. Suerte.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I would opt for a CG 125. These are around 20k something for used in decent condition. They have an advantage over the scooter in that there are much more visible and take bumps a lot easier. If you plan on putting a lot of miles on bad roads on a scooter be prepared for back/neck and kidney problems. Suerte.
A local kid bought a CG200 here for around $38,000. Nice bike, not at all cheap and cheesy.

Anyone else notice the displacements-as well as the build/component quailty-of bikes increasing? And prices softening?

winning

Apr 28, 2012
For RD$1000 per day, you could BUY a brand new one in a little over a month...

That is pricey for a scooter rental but it is true that you could pay for a cheapie Chinese bike in a month.
I bought my 2010 125cc Chinese bike, brand new, for 29,000 pesos in Gaspar Hernandez.
I don't recommend bikes/scooters as your main mode of transportation in the DR. It is the first, or second cause of death there. No helmets is foolish as well. I just use mine for fun and go in my car for the main road trips. Even a trip to Janet's, I take my car. Gotta have that metal surrounding you. If you want a Honda, or Yamaha, expect to pay double. One advantage with the cheapie Chinese bikes is that they don't get stolen as fast, nobody wants them. Also, the tires on the China bikes are useless and you will need to replace them super fast.
Remember when made in Japan was a negative? How times have changed.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
That is pricey for a scooter rental but it is true that you could pay for a cheapie Chinese bike in a month. I bought my 2010 125cc Chinese bike, brand new, for 29,000 pesos in Gaspar Hernandez. ..........If you want a Honda, or Yamaha, expect to pay double.
Having recently (03/12) shopped for a moto on North Coast to give to our maid, prices here are higher. Cheapest are the ones with the donut wheels, but with poor roads those are dubious choice unless very limited usage. With the large wheels, cost for a 100 cc automatic started at about RD$34,000; cheaper ones were lower power.

I finally opted for a Chinese "name brand" Loncin automatic with nicer features for RD$39,000. Add another RD$500 for metricula, RD$500 for transfer and RD$300 for insurance, so out the door for RD$40,300. (OBTW, these fees were posted on an well worn sign for all to see, not just Gringa costs.) I had a trusted Dominican friend helping with all of this as well.

Be aware, I was offered a somewhat lower price for an adequate (but not as nice and a demo) bike, but then they were going to add on 16% Itibis! And was quoted more for fees. Unlike the USA, this tax is USUALLY already included in the quoted prices, but ask about that and any fees so you are comparing "out the door" prices.

Also learned that motos only pay once for tags, not every year like autos. And yes, that insurance is only liability and minimal at that. But titled to our maid, so adequate for her. If stolen, it's also her problem. But was told one cannot really insure against theft with so little recovery chance by insurance companies on these cheap bikes.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Be aware, I was offered a somewhat lower price for an adequate (but not as nice and a demo) bike, but then they were going to add on 16% Itibis! And was quoted more for fees. Unlike the USA, this tax is USUALLY already included in the quoted prices, but ask about that and any fees so you are comparing "out the door" .
Thought I should clarify that adding of Itibis and higher fees was at a DIFFERENT DEALER than the one I eventually bought from and it was the ONLY time it happened in all my shopping.