Where is the best store/location to purchase groceries?

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
Good morning,

I will be staying for 10 nights in July at the residential complex of Santa Maria del Mar in the area of Cortecito/ Los Corales. I was hoping you would be able to tell me the best place to go buy groceries and meat. I would like to be able to grill out, one day make a pork roast and buy a birthday cake.

It has been a few years since I have stayed in this area. I hear the store I used to go to, the Amelia, is no longer open.

So any help on where to go and the best way to get there would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Hi there, the best option is moving a bit, going to Supermercado Pola, in San Juan Shopping Center, or going to Iberia supermarket, in Friusa, just after passing the gas station.
Everybody will tell you that Pola is better than Iberia in quality and more things to choose from, I can agree, but you have enough in Iberia talking about different kind of meats, veggys and fruits, and Iberia is CHEAPER and CLOSER than Pola.
Just an example, pinneapples and papayas are always almost half price in Iberia than in Pola, a fact that fruits and veggies are really cheaper than in Pola ...
Cheers

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
I forgot about going there.
Very easy. Go to the main road from your apartment, wait for a guagua (little bus), you will see a big name in a big blue sticker on them telling "Traumabapu". Get the one going to Friusa direction (as if you go to Carabela hotel). Pay 30 pesos and in less than 10 mins after passing the gas station you will see on the right hand the big Iberia supermarket. Or just tell the guy from the guagua to stop at Iberia.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
you can go to either of the supermarkets for the bulk of what you want, but remember you still have to carry it a block or two to the condo if you come home by bus. If you're going to really load up, a bus to the store would be fine, but maybe splurge on a taxi back (bargain for a good rate but BEFORE you shop, or you'll look desperate ... or at least try to, lol). You can also walk to get incidentals at the grocery store in el Dorado shopping center, (where the bakery and a few other things are). It's amazing how much you can pack into a small back pack and carry a couple of bags by hand. There's another little store, even smaller, in the little plaza next to el Dorado, which has some basics and is open some times when the one in el Dorado is closed.

Enjoy your stay in Santa Maria... I've stayed there... nice complex. I might be in town at the same time, my condo is about a block from yours.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Just an update but the Cicolella Grocery Store in the Dorado Plaza of Los Corales is now closed. Supposedly, for 6 months but it looks like forever.

Unfortunate, but this is the price you pay for getting a Nacional, Pola and Iberia. The little guys suffer.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Just an update but the Cicolella Grocery Store in the Dorado Plaza of Los Corales is now closed. Supposedly, for 6 months but it looks like forever.

Unfortunate, but this is the price you pay for getting a Nacional, Pola and Iberia. The little guys suffer.

REALLY!!!!! Well that SUCKS. Every time I go down there's something new/different, but it's usually an improvement. This isn't. Means have to get in a car to get stuff. Just a little too much like "home". :-(

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
you can go to either of the supermarkets for the bulk of what you want, but remember you still have to carry it a block or two to the condo if you come home by bus. If you're going to really load up, a bus to the store would be fine, but maybe splurge on a taxi back (bargain for a good rate but BEFORE you shop, or you'll look desperate ... or at least try to, lol). You can also walk to get incidentals at the grocery store in el Dorado shopping center, (where the bakery and a few other things are). It's amazing how much you can pack into a small back pack and carry a couple of bags by hand. There's another little store, even smaller, in the little plaza next to el Dorado, which has some basics and is open some times when the one in el Dorado is closed.

Enjoy your stay in Santa Maria... I've stayed there... nice complex. I might be in town at the same time, my condo is about a block from yours.

This will be my home away from home July 17 - 27 :)
Bavaro vacation apartment rental: Spacious 3 Bedroom Penthouse with Private Rooftop Terrace

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
nice unit. I had forgotten there were 3 b.r. units there. You'll find it to be a very spacious apartment. Even the one and two units are big. You'll also enjoy the rooftop... enjoy your stay. My travel plans aren't confirmed yet, but it's likely I'll be there during that time, I'll be right down the street at Corte Sea complex. Bienvenidos!

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011

** When did this happen? I can't believe this!!!! Was a nice fill in what you need store....I agree with Capt n Glenn THIS STINKS!!!!.:mad:..if for 6 months do they say when or if they will re-open?

** On another note is the Gelato store still there??

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
In June of 2005 was my first visit with my boys...we stayed at La Posada de Piedre, which is also no longer there. Beside there was a small place that you could get cheap true dominican chicken, rice and beans. I think it may have been called the Baricar, would anyone happen to know if that is still there??? And if not would there be something similar?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
In June of 2005 was my first visit with my boys...we stayed at La Posada de Piedre, which is also no longer there. Beside there was a small place that you could get cheap true dominican chicken, rice and beans. I think it may have been called the Baricar, would anyone happen to know if that is still there??? And if not would there be something similar?

If I remember correctly, la Posada de Piedra was in Cortecito so it would have been Supermercado Amalia which shut down a while ago too.

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
If I remember correctly, la Posada de Piedra was in Cortecito so it would have been Supermercado Amalia which shut down a while ago too.

yes, both are now gone. But I was wondering if the little place to go buy dominican food that was already prepared was still there.. A lot of the beach vendors would go for lunch there. It was just a little whole in the wall in a walkway to the beach.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

Don't you mean Barican ??????????? Part of the Cortecito Inn hotel

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
Don't you mean Barican ??????????? Part of the Cortecito Inn hotel

I think it was called Barican, Baricar was a typo. Too many years have past by since eating there, but I know it was not part of the Cortecito Inn hotel. It was across the road from there located in a walk trough to the beach, maybe it didn't even have a name.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I think it was called Barican, Baricar was a typo. Too many years have past by since eating there, but I know it was not part of the Cortecito Inn hotel. It was across the road from there located in a walk trough to the beach, maybe it didn't even have a name.

I know that the Cortecito Inn had something on the beach and that Barican was the nickname of the man that started the Cortecito Inn. He also used to have a terraza called Barican in Higuey on the Augustin Guerrero Street right in front of the the post office (It was on the 80'S beginning of the 90'S)

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
I know that the Cortecito Inn had something on the beach and that Barican was the nickname of the man that started the Cortecito Inn. He also used to have a terraza called Barican in Higuey on the Augustin Guerrero Street right in front of the the post office (It was on the 80'S beginning of the 90'S)

No worries, we will just have to venture out and see all of the changes. This little place has a special meaning for us..In 2005 my youngest son was 10 and had just eaten a huge helping of chicken, rice and beans. A short time later he had guzzeled a cleaning solution that was in a dasani water bottle thinking it was water that the maid had on our table. If not for all the rice and beans in his belly, he would have been a whole lot worse off. To this day he says it was the best rice and beans he has ever had, so we just wondered if it was even still there.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
** When did this happen? I can't believe this!!!! Was a nice fill in what you need store....I agree with Capt n Glenn THIS STINKS!!!!.:mad:..if for 6 months do they say when or if they will re-open?

** On another note is the Gelato store still there??

That's all the news I have for now. My strong assumption is that it is closed for good but maybe, if we're lucky, it's just closing for the low season. The Gelato place is still there.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Noooooo!!! The owners live next door to me! That store was so handy and convenient.Per fect for picking up this or that. :cry:Perhaps they went on a trip for a while.
Unfortuantely I'm not there right now or I would have asked them!