Solar Panel

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
What are the current local prices for solar panels for a 24V system with at least 190W?
Any experience and any recommandation for a shop in SD?
Thank you
:classic:

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Here in LT 220 watt panels are $495 each - two required - add $500 for battries, controller, inverter for 400 watts approx.
pi2

Apr 13, 2011
For give my ignorance, I am only learning more about solar. Is that for 400w of AC power that can be used in the house? Or is that DC watts? Am I correct in understanding that you need more DC watts to the inverter?? Is there a good reference place/website to go to in order to get a better understanding of how the system works?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Panels vary in cost, quality and performance.

I bought two Sanyos this year, $750 (190W, if I recall)
Four years ago, they were almost double that.

I have 12.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Here in LT 220 watt panels are $495 each - two required - add $500 for battries, controller, inverter for 400 watts approx.
pi2

Hey pi2 (pi squared?)

Do you have a system like this? If so, can you share your experience? I am assuming you use it to charge the batteries which would them be used instead of a blackout? You would save money because you wouldn't need the inverter to charge the batteries, correct?

Edited - same goes for William, thanks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm fully solar with a planta backup.

Invertors are necessary .

Its a costly setup - don't be fooled into thinking its not.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi, how many panels do U need for a "normal" house with 2 poeple and "normal" utilisation, without AC?

And why are the inverters required, when U have batteries?
:)

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi, how many panels do U need for a "normal" house with 2 poeple and "normal" utilisation, without AC?

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Hey pi2 (pi squared?)

Do you have a system like this? If so, can you share your experience? I am assuming you use it to charge the batteries which would them be used instead of a blackout? You would save money because you wouldn't need the inverter to charge the batteries, correct?

Edited - same goes for William, thanks.

My present system was installed 3 years ago:

2 60 watt panels.
charge controller 30 amp.
2 6 volt batteries.
400 watt inverter
battery charger for many rainy days together
battery tester discharge
SG battery tester
mains/ generation switch
If I am in the house provides elec during the sunny days - most.
Laptiop , 25 watt 12 volt fan, tv screen attached to laptop for internet tv
speaker system for laptop. 2 watts.
Also some during evenings.
Shotly going to enlarge + 2 batteries, 2 200 watt panels, further controller - should then run fridge, plus the rest 24/24 if required.

Answer to previous question - you need inverter if all kit is not 12/24 votd. There are available 12 volt fans, fridges, lights, tv,s etc. but some items ae more expensive.

pi2

pi2

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

The reason why you need an inverter is to convert the DC energy out of the batteries to AC to use in your home or business. Solar panels are basically charging units. You design the size of the system based you what your average daily usage is and then build in 20% - 100% more than that depending on your budget. If you have grid electricity the inverter also acts as the charging unit if the battery voltage reaches a certain level, 11.8-12 volts probably. When they are topped off, they are closer to 13 volts. You really should have a control unit between the panels and the batteries which there are various types and prices. You can get some of these smaller controllers and inverters at SOLUZ in Charamicos. Like 200 watts for very small systems. There may be some in stock or they get more in every once in a while.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
So let,s get some perspective here pi1,you have a 400 what inverter, that would light 10 ...40 what light bulbs.
Must be very dark in your tiny condo!
cc

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
No, a 8 watt led light produces 60 watt equivalent of an old fashioned bulb watts. CFC almost at much.
Save the planet! Be responsible!
Newer LED bulbs can last for 20 years or more.
DC fans are very efficient.
Amazon.com: 02cool fan

pi2.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011

Is it worth it? Money wise that is. I am imagining that you use the inverter and batteries most of the time and have a generator when ever the batteries lose charge. How much is your operating costs on a monthly basis? Are you able to run AC units, fridges, TVs or do you have a Wattage limitation?

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
well, I am also very interested in solar (and wind) energy and will try to "use" it as much as possible. But I think the solar option must be combined with a limitation of global consumption. Which for instance means no AC, a small fridge instead of those enormous "american" fridges which produce ice... It must be considered from an ecological point of view...

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
Thank you so far for all the answers, but still I would like to get more feedback about the prices. As on global level prices are falling down dramatically, so I do not see that in the DR yet.
If that would be the case than maybe shipping into DR would be an alternative to get adv. from low prices.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
I lived on solar and wind for 20 years. Had to. It's expensive and not yet as cost effective as grid power from so-called fossil fuels, but someday, after we're all gone, maybe. Sure, we can go to the moon. Actually have done so. But that doesn't mean YOU can.

Wanna feel good? Go to the corner colmadito and have a roncito or two.