Links to Furniture store websites in Santo Domingo

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Could anyone please let me have any links to websites for furniture stores in Santo Domingo, including La Serena and Mega Centro is it I can't remember? Indeed I think there's been a few new Malls opened over the last 2 years since our last visit.

My wife is returning to the Capital from the UK next week and wants to furnish an apartment top to bottom including kitchen appliances. I've tried googling but have so far come up with nothing of any use at all.

It would give her a great head start if she could browse before she leaves the UK, otherwise she'll be trawling round the shops for ever I imagine.

As usual all replies will be gratefully received.

Freemo

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't know if they have a website, but be sure to check out Plaza Lama. Usually best price in SD. Just be careful on electronics, some of them are refurbished. We went there last month looking for new living room furniture, reclining sofas/loveseats, and were surprised to find well known US brands [like Lane] for about the same price as in the US.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Thanks, I've found Plaza Lama and La Sirena websites OMG they are pants. Can't seem to get anywhere with them, useless.

These places are crying out for a decent Web designer, if any of you guys out there are in that line of business I suggest you call these stores and show them how bad their sites are and as a result how much trade they may be missing out on.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Hi AlterEgo

We've bought stuff from Plaza Lama before. Got a washing machine once which conked out after 2 or 3 washes then the store argued like mad that they weren't going to replace it with a new one after a service guy they sent round said it was uneconomical to repair. It was literally laughable. We got it replaced in the end but only after going to the store in person and causing a bit of a scene in front of everyone. Trouble is you get so used to being the 'customer in the right' here in the UK that when you don't get the same treatment elsewhere you find it bewildering. Some of the assistants in the shop were having a good laugh while we were getting steamed up, and that actually difused the situation and we found ourselves chuckling at how loud we were being. Makes me smile now just thinking about it. It seemed like a game to them, like who's gonna give in first.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Freemo, never bought appliances at Plaza Lama, but we have bought a GE refrigerator [2011] and Whirlpool washer [2012], both full size, from La Sirena. Both came with a one year warranty, from a company in Santo Domingo.

Got the washer all hooked up, and it wouldn't run. Double checked everything. Called the repair #, they made an appt to come out the next day. You know how something will 'come to you' when you're not thinking about it? I had a thought about the lousy electric we have at our house. Our microwave won't heat anything without an external voltage regulator plugged in [it's about the size of a shoe box, and weighs a lot]. Inverter supposedly does that, but in our case it doesn't. So microwave lights up, turntable turns, but not enough juice to heat, without the regulator.

We took the regulator over to the washer, and voila! Washer worked fine. Called and cancelled the service call.

Days like that make me wonder why I have a house there......