Motocross tracks in the north?

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
My family and I are planning on moving down into the area hopefully late this summer and my son and I enjoy riding our dirtbikes. I know that there are the Enduro tours out of Cabarete, but are there any actual motocross tracks in the Sosua/Cabarete area?

I have used the search feature and the last post was 8 years ago so I do not know if that information is current.

Thanks

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I thought there was one on the El Choco track as well... but not 100% sure

BelgianK

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
There is a motocross track in Gasper Hernandez

Is that that what track the sign just on the east side of Sosua is pointing to? I noticed the sign in March but I will have to take a closer look at it next month when we travel back.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Is that that what track the sign just on the east side of Sosua is pointing to? I noticed the sign in March but I will have to take a closer look at it next month when we travel back.

I'm not sure about the sign, but they have advertised competitions all over the north coast for this track. Its located on the west side of GH just off the main highway.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
You guys are weak. Go deep into the Cibao mountains where you could find real action!

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
I appreciate the help guys now I just have to figure out the best way to get the bikes down there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I appreciate the help guys now I just have to figure out the best way to get the bikes down there.

That will be a challenge. Cobraboy is your best source on that, and I don't think he recommends importing them on your own.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a track in POP, close to el cupey. coming from sosua to POP you turn left from the main road, into a sandy beaten track, just before star and palm hills. i am not sure whether it is open for everyone to use. i know that dominicans organize motocross events there. one of my workers is a real enthusiast :)

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
That will be a challenge. Cobraboy is your best source on that, and I don't think he recommends importing them on your own.

Yea that is what I was afraid of unfortunately. I would have preferred to bring our bikes down already but I am afraid with the high cost of the importation taxes and fees that it would not be feasible.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
remember to get a good dominican health insurance. there were many threads about that. i have all the faith in your skills but it is better to be safe than sorry.
i am sure you will have fun at the track. great way to meet new people and integrate.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Thanks for the advice on the insurance I am sure it will be needed between myself and my son. Hey dv8 where is el cupey I looked on the map but I did not see it? And by POP I assume you are meaning the airport not Puerto Plata right?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, i mean puerto plata. el cupey is just outside of the city, about one kilometer from playa dorada. it is a very small place, not even a proper road leads there, just a sandy track.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
El Cupey is just north of the Gran Parada, from /Sosua anyway, Star Hills, is the only moto track near Puerto Plata. There used to be a motoX track in Cabarete, now closed. Talk to the owner/developer of Cabarete East development, Rob. He used to rent nice KTM's for tours..... Or the owner of the Honda shop in Sosua, Richard, a racer, mechanic, shop owner. And the mgr. of Jose O'Shea's in Cabarete, Frank. He also knows the areas as well as anyone. He's a serious rider. There are some great dirt bike rides all over. I suggest Motocaribe also, talk to Robert, owner, he knows import b.s., prices, tours, shops. He's in Jarabacoa....1.5 hours more or less from North coast. Honest guy.
Here is dirt bike heaven. Everywhere.
Great touring options also, road trips. All good. Prices of bikes here will surprise you, but buy here, sell here. It works out. Kind of.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
El Cupey is just north of the Gran Parada, from /Sosua anyway, Star Hills, is the only moto track near Puerto Plata. There used to be a motoX track in Cabarete, now closed. Talk to the owner/developer of Cabarete East development, Rob. He used to rent nice KTM's for tours..... Or the owner of the Honda shop in Sosua, Richard, a racer, mechanic, shop owner. And the mgr. of Jose O'Shea's in Cabarete, Frank. He also knows the areas as well as anyone. He's a serious rider. There are some great dirt bike rides all over. I suggest Motocaribe also, talk to Robert, owner, he knows import b.s., prices, tours, shops. He's in Jarabacoa....1.5 hours more or less from North coast. Honest guy.
Great touring options also, road trips. All good. Prices of bikes here will surprise you, but buy here, sell here. It works out. Kind of.

Thanks so much for the information that is awesome.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004

It's been a while, but I used to take my ATV to a shop owned by a German guy right before you enter Cabarete on the right hand side. He was selling a 650 Honda dirtbike (4 stroke) and had a bunch of serious two-strokes if your interested.

I've attended moto-cross events at the track near Puerto Plata. Decent jumps, not bad, a lot of serious competition, then at the end, they had the children moto-cross racing on the 50cc dirt bikes.