Mailing Passport to the US

Jhettku

Jul 18, 2011
Hi,

Does anyone ever send/mail a passport to the US? I called UPS and Fedex. They said that I have to go to the embassy to do this. I tried to find more information in the embassy website but I came out nothing. I tried to call, but it seems that I went round and round.

I am not sure if I can just show up at the embassy and tell them that I need to send the passport or I have to make an appointment.

I tried the search engine to see if there is an older post regarding this, but I could not find any.

Please help.

Thanks,

Linda

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I guess I don't understand. Do you have the passport in your possession that you want to send to the US?

If so, why should you have to go to the Embassy, rather than just putting it in an envelope and sending it by FedEx

Jhettku

Jul 18, 2011
yes, I have the passport on my possession but need to send it to the US for applying a visa from another embassy (since they dont have a representative in the DR).

I called the FedEx and UPS. They informed me I cant send a passport through courier. It has to be sent through the embassy.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Put it in another envelope and tell FEDEX it is a Birthday card.

You could also get creative, drive to the airport and make friends with someone @ the check in line, seal the envelope in front of them, and pay them $RD200 for their efforts!

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Put it in another envelope and tell FEDEX it is a Birthday card.

You could also get creative, drive to the airport and make friends with someone @ the check in line, seal the envelope in front of them, and pay them $RD200 for their efforts!
I know somebody who would take it for free, just no guarantee that it gets where supposed to!

Feb 7, 2007
Jhettku - I think you misunderstood. What UPS told you that they can ship the passport but it has to be sent TO/FROM the embassy, meaning from you TO the embassy or FROM the embassy to you. Been there, done that. UPS to/from Mexico, passport to/from my country's embassy.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
No NEVER EVER DO THAT....COULD YOU CONTACT the other embassy that you want to get the visa from and ask them in their experience how does this usually work? I tried with my Canadian embassy to send it through them and they told me ,they did not do this.Go figure they recommended FedEx

Feb 7, 2007
@ arragula - how the stuff works is quite simple, people send passports to embassies by UPS/FedEx/DHL all the time all over the world.

Jhettku

Jul 18, 2011
Ah OK... So if I want to send my passport to my hiring company in the US (since they will take care of the visa process), I can't do it, correct? Unless, I have to send the passport directly to the embassy in the US? So, I dont need to send the passport to the embassy in the Santo Domingo. Sorry for the confusion.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Perhaps the $2,000 camera freak can mule your passport back after she drops off the camera in Higuey?

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
there are some regulations against mailing passports across borders and large companies (UPS, Fedex, DHL) generally refuse to do it - not sure why exactly. One time I sent a passport out with DHL from UK without a problem but they refused to accept it to ship back to me, so I had to use a smaller courier company. Just ask for an envelope at their office, put some papers in, a passport without flashing it, seal it and hand it back - no one is going to care.