Dog"s pillow ????

Ama

Sep 5, 2007
Have older,sweet boxer...big one and he desperately needs a pillow bed . He developed rheumatism and limps a lot after lying on the floor.
The pillows I found were much to small.....
Anybody knows where I can buy one...
Puerto Plata,Sosua,Cabarete? I'm close...
thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just go to the upholsterer.... thats what we did.

Buy the foam they use for beds and they'll make the cover.
Foam comes in varying thickness.... take your pick.

Zipper or Velcro.....

latitude19

May 29, 2011
That's a good idea. I'd guess much cheaper than buying a good dog bed. DR De La Cruz, on the East side of Sosua, (Carr Sos?a-Cabarete Km 5 (809) 571-2982) has dog beds, but I can't guarantee that they're of good quality. I think the best dog bed I've seen has been in Price Smart in Santiago.

Make sure to get something FIRM. Some of the beds I've seen here look nice and cozy but are built cheaply and offer little support. You would probably be better off building your own, like WW said.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The beds at the vet are way over-priced. Make it yourself. Some really good advice given. Be sure his nails are short as long nails make walking on slippery tile difficult. I bought one of those hi speed Dremel tools and they grind down the nails fast and easy.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is the foam people use for beds..... dogs are lighter (usually)

They work fine - trust me. And yes, they're better than storebought.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I usually order them online, especially for my old girl. Yes, it is quite an expense but I get the ones that have the waterproof cover that comes off so the foam doesn't get smelly (hard to wash that size of foam!) and they last at least 18 months. I have a 10 y/o 75lbs Rottie with operated hips and a bit of arthritis in the front paw so I know how you feel!

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
i bought a dog bed at price smart. as i recall the price was 1,200 pesos at that time. honestly it is worth every penny! the dogs love it :)
it is thick and very compfy. inside there is cedar wood, for that reason it does not smell, even after weeks of using.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Have older,sweet boxer...big one and he desperately needs a pillow bed . He developed rheumatism and limps a lot after lying on the floor.
The pillows I found were much to small.....
Anybody knows where I can buy one...
Puerto Plata,Sosua,Cabarete? I'm close...
thanks

In Sosua just before the beach on La Puntilla, between the "art galleries" left hand side is an upholstery/ drapery shop.
The'll make you one

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
The beds at the vet are way over-priced. Make it yourself. Some really good advice given. Be sure his nails are short as long nails make walking on slippery tile difficult. I bought one of those hi speed Dremel tools and they grind down the nails fast and easy.

have to be careful with the dremel... use it at low speeds, at high speeds they build up heat FAST.

To the OP:

My lab suffers from arthritis pretty badly too. A BUFFERED aspirin once a day might help a lot (or maybe twice a day when it's really bad). MUST BE BUFFERED, and must be aspirin. Not tylenol, not Advil, not "coated" aspirin. BUFFERED, or his stomach will suffer.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
have to be careful with the dremel... use it at low speeds, at high speeds they build up heat FAST.

To the OP:

My lab suffers from arthritis pretty badly too. A BUFFERED aspirin once a day might help a lot (or maybe twice a day when it's really bad). MUST BE BUFFERED, and must be aspirin. Not tylenol, not Advil, not "coated" aspirin. BUFFERED, or his stomach will suffer.

no negative comment on the buffered aspirin, but if you want to do better than that, give your dog a tablet of glucosamina, and a tablet of chondotroina per day. Both are readibly available at most pharmacies. Frequently you can get tablets combining the 2. We had a lab with hipdisplacement, and got him to 14 years without any pain. Then he died of a heart-attack.

He played sports on competition level, loved playing, and loved swimming. He actually looked like a canine version of The Terminator...:laugh:

He was diagnosed at 6 months, was very stiff, and our vet ( a professor at a veteranery university ) told us about this tablets, the swimming, and to keep him moving.

As far as the dogbed goes... yes, you can make it yourself, which is probably the cheapest. The other alternative is to visit the website of petplaza.com.do. It is located in SD, owned by 2 European doglovers, and they will ship all over the island. No idea about how prices compare, but they sell high quality products.

BelgianK

PS... GET A DECENT DOG NAIL CUTTER INSTEAD OF THE DREMEL... if you hit the lifeline in the nail with that dremel, you will be mopping up the blood, and have a dog not wanting to have his nails cut, as that experience was extremely painfull.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

haha! seriously? I've never seen that before, most people use clippers and snip them off, mind I'm not sure what a dremel is, but presume spinning noisy disc.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I also have a Dremel (wireless) and it works wonderfully. Nail cutters tend to squeeze the nail, especially for larger dogs, and it's often painful for them. And when you have a dog with black nails (like my 3), you can't see the quick (nerve) and can easily cut through it if you take off a bit too much. With the Dremel, you can shave the nail off bit by bit, moving it from side to side. It also doesn't leave any sharp edges like cutters. In the 5 years I've been using it, I've only over-trimmed once and it didn't seem as painful to my dog as the cutters. A bit of pressure for 30 seconds and the bleeding had stopped. It usually takes 2 or 3 treatments for them to get used it to. My Rottie flips over onto her back and totally relaxes when I do her nails and my Chihuahuas sit quietly and don't fuss. No big deal.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Did you take those picks?

Derfish sent me picks of Goofy the other day, spitting image of his mother, sits the same n all.