Mosquito Repellant

nassaubert

Apr 27, 2012
Help! I'm being tormented by mosquitoes and can't seem to find an effective repellant. It's very strange as I work in West Africa and, for example, received only one bite in 5 months on my last tour. Here in Bayaguana I am bitten constantly, often as many as 10 hits in an hour if I go out in the evening, despite wearing Off, Cutter, Tesco and Boots own brand and now Villeneuve. They bite me through trousers, long sleeved shirts and also get me on the head and face. It's a torment and I'm finding myself reluctant to open my doors or go out. Any tips and advice would be most welcome.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Citronella oil? There is a local brand called "Deporte" that seems to do well.

Maybe eat more garlic...?

Are you sure those are mosquitoes???

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a dominican spray called DESPORTE. very oily, needs to be rubbed in after spraying. god forbid to touch your face with it - stings like hell. it is best to spray a little on your hands and then rub conturs od the face: along the hairline and jaws. wash hads well after application.

also, do fumigate the room where you sleep: best sprays are from orion, as they have quite agradable fragrance. close all windows, spray well, under and inside the furniture too. will work for a night or two. in a living space, as you go about your daily stuff you can burn repellant spirals, very effective. make sure you put them out before leaving a house or going to bed (submerge smoking end in water until completely out).

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
We couldn't sleep because there were too many bites from mosquitos and from unknown sources and I had one of my worker search and buy a net and I applied them on the windows with silicon. No major issues with bites anymore and we can leave our windows open all day and night. Occationally I still have to either spray or use coil to kill those manage to get in but I can sleep though nights without problem.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
ARE YOU POSITIVE IT'S MOSQUITOES????
I get bites from those tiny ants!
I don't feel the bite,unless I see the ants,like picking up the "dog dish",then seeing them on my hand.
They leave a tiny red mark,which gets like a tiny blister over the next few days.
They itch like "HELL"
I have bottles of "Bay Rum" around my house,that I douse on any "bites" I get.
Any insect "bites" seem to be less irritating with bay rum treatment.
"NO!",you can't drink "Bay RUM" :(
CC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have screens on all our windows, the doors were the problem, so we found these 'magnetic screen door':

New Magic Mesh Hands-Free Screen Door with magnets AS SEEN ON TV worth $29 740275008072 | eBay

I buy Avon Skin-So-Soft, mix it 50/50 with water in a spray bottle and spritz it on my arms and legs when I get out of the shower. It works!

We also sleep with a mosquitero [sorry, photo is sideways] and have a tower fan blowing all night:

CIMG1097.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE, doesn't the fan blow the mosquitero aside???

Nope. Works great. Much better breeze than the ceiling fan, which was expensive and a disappointment. We shipped down a Honeywell tower fan, and LOVED it. The breeze has 5 settings, and on the highest setting it rocks!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We have screens on our windows and doors here in Santiago and that generally controls most of them however we probably have a couple in the house at any given time in the warmer months. The mosquitoes only seem to bother me and our littlest girl of 4 who's always sweating. We don't use repellent unless we go to the campo and generally all I need to do to stop them from biting me is to wear socks. However, outside they seem to go for my arms as well. We will generally sleep with a floor fan (no mosquitero) in the warmer months.

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
dont drink milk or eat bananas or get pregnant
LOL dont get pregnant?! I didnt have any milk or bananas for weeks and I was eaten alive! These are myths. I opted to take Vitamin B suplements, Cutter (2 different sprays), OFF & Avon Skin so Soft insect and sun spray but none of them helped me either.
The only thing that offered relief to the bites was Menthodol Forte. I got 30 bites on one leg my first night of the last trip :( We ended up correcting the screens on the windows but that didnt help when you were outside. Good luck!

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
The sprays with Icaridin (hydroxyethyl isobutyl piperdine, 20%) have helped me (have had also luck with the weather), they were also recommended from the locals.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Help! I'm being tormented by mosquitoes and can't seem to find an effective repellant. It's very strange as I work in West Africa and, for example, received only one bite in 5 months on my last tour. Here in Bayaguana I am bitten constantly, often as many as 10 hits in an hour if I go out in the evening, despite wearing Off, Cutter, Tesco and Boots own brand and now Villeneuve. They bite me through trousers, long sleeved shirts and also get me on the head and face. It's a torment and I'm finding myself reluctant to open my doors or go out. Any tips and advice would be most welcome.

We have screens on all Windows. But because of the doggies our door always is open. So I fumigate with
"Beni Bio" Hogar - the walls, curtains, it last's 48 hours. And for my skin "Beni Bio Repelente Contra Mosquitos",
all this works really good. We are living in a natural area, now after this rainy days surrounded from lots full of water, what means much more mosquitos. Our experience is good.

nassaubert

Apr 27, 2012
Thank you all for taking the time to respond and I will be trying out recommendations. I'm very relieved there was no suggestion Brugal consumption might be the cause!

ssarkas

Oct 9, 2007
l sometimes use my dogs flea shampoo when working out in yard. works great but smell is so-so. . so doesnt personal battery powered repellent by off. fan at night to sleep.many rub shampoo on skin. also try uslng different soaps, some they like some they dont. good luck

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
also try uslng different soaps, some they like some they dont. good luck

That's a great suggestion. Mr. AE was complaining about the mosquitoes biting him all over, and they weren't bothering me. After a couple of days of that, I suggested he stop using the soap he had in the shower [I don't know what it was, box was gone, it looked like Irish Spring] and switch to the Safeguard that I brought.

No more mosquito bites.

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
Try Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil. I've been using it for years and it works very effectively.