One Laptop per child program

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Serious questioning going on as to the effectiveness of all this. Have to look at some more articles to really debate this.

But I always liked the idea. Perhaps the interests of some merchants have halted this effort here.

HB

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The reason I brought this up was because a local asked me for a computer and if there is genuine thirst for knowledge then I could commit some time to this project.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
It would be great to see someone try it out. After looking at their website, it seems that they have the tech part down, but not a lot of support for implementation.

If I were to pilot it, it would be in a classroom as a teaching tool. If you are looking at it as a small laptop for an adult, it doesn't seem to be able to fit those needs. I also wonder what capabilities there are without the wifi? If you need to be able to have wifi, you'd need to be in an area where you could get the service, which would exclude many campos?

If it were to be used as a teaching tool, you'd also have to have the resources to train the teacher and provide tech support. However pared down the machine is, systems have issues. And without teacher training, it's just a pretty decoration.

I don't live in the DR, so don't know local agencies that also may be partnered with. When I was there last, I talked to one of the local computer places about educational websites for kids. You know his answer, and you know most kids primarily use the computer for facebook. So teaming up with someone who can provide the educational support is critical. You'd need to be clear about the programs and the age level that can best be served. I'd love to have a list of good educational sites in Spanish, so if you ever use some, I'd appreciate if you could pass them along.

I believe Peace Corps has a program that includes bringing computer teachers, you may want to contact them. You could possibly partner with them, and the program manager would certainly be a able to provide more information and contacts as well, even without partnering with them.

If this is a program you decide to test out, I'll support you in donating 3. I always bring books to the DR, now that ground shipping is gone and extra baggage is expensive, I'm wondering if e-books are a better way to go? We know how cells phones are so part of the Dominican experience, it's so possible that an e device with an educational twist could make help fill some educational needs.

So, like you, I see great potential. Let us know what you find out, and keep us posted if you decide it's worth trying.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
if there is genuine thirst for knowledge

Sometimes you just gotta light the fire.

Of the thousands of students I've worked with, the genuine thirst for knowledge is seen in very few. Yet we educate them for a future that will be better for them, and all of us, because we have.

Good luck to you, and I wish you much success in this.

Patrikos

May 11, 2012
I think the indian sub-continent took one look at this impractical and unsustainable concept and chucked it. The last thing children in developing countries need is a laptop each. Libraries of books serving the whole community can be purchased for a fraction of the cost without the numerous technical, training, maintenance, content filtering, classroom management and environmental issues. The price point is ridiculous for developing nations when people survive on $2 a day. And if I remember right the Indians said if necessary they could make a comparable device for $10.