Follow up to my last doggie experience....

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
For some reason my previous thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/122662-give-dog-home-4.html was closed but there is a follow up to this story which I would like to post now.

The pup I found in the mud some 6 weeks ago had some serious skin issues which affected her whole system plus, unfortunately, she got stung and ended up looking like this:

2hh3m85.jpg

However, the wonderful people who offered her a new forever home stuck with it and, together with help from visiting British vet, Sue, and Animal Rescue | Dog Adoptions Dominican Republic | Asociacin De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sosa, Inc. she now looks like this and today has moved on to her new forever home....

k2q92.jpg

Hope you will join me in wishing Macy a wonderful life with her new owners in Cabarete.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
great story, WB! macy is a beautiful dog and i am glad she had another chance in life. kudos to those who were able to help.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
For some reason my previous thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/122662-give-dog-home-4.html was closed but there is a follow up to this story which I would like to post now.

The pup I found in the mud some 6 weeks ago had some serious skin issues which affected her whole system plus, unfortunately, she got stung and ended up looking like this:

2hh3m85.jpg

However, the wonderful people who offered her a new forever home stuck with it and, together with help from visiting British vet, Sue, and Animal Rescue | Dog Adoptions Dominican Republic | Asociacin De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sosa, Inc. she now looks like this and today has moved on to her new forever home....

k2q92.jpg

Hope you will join me in wishing Macy a wonderful life with her new owners in Cabarete.

Oh yes, all my best wishes for Macy and her new owners:)

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
And my fully respect for all helping her and generelly working for the animals.

TStroman3

Sep 11, 2011
What a great story to read today! God bless all of you who did so much for Macy, and to the family who opened their hearts and home to such a beautiful dog. Thank you for sharing, I love good news-

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
What a wonderful set of before and after photos to see at the start of the day! Of course it would be even more wonderful if there weren't any before situations in the first place but to see the difference care, compassion and resources available makes is heartwarming. A true success! :classic:

zoey_kat

Feb 2, 2007
Whirleybird, thank you for posting the update and pictures. It is amazing what love and care can do for an animal, and Macy looks wonderful! Always great to see stories like this and the good works people do.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is good news.

The chihuaua we found is still having skin issues. Unfortunately I don't have the money to be paying for all the treatments they recommend but we have been giving her at times antibiotics and anti allergen medicine with little results. she was tested and does not have mange but I believe it must be some type of parasite because she sleeps with another dog of our and the other one is starting to lose hair. Any advice would be appreciated.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Get some "Shampoo" for "Mange" at the vet supply store,or Supermercado National.
We have six dogs and they get a "Bath" every Sunday,even though they don't go to church.
We use an anti-pulgas y garapatus shampoo,and the "Mange" shampoo when ever there is a problem.
CC

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
This is good news.

The chihuaua we found is still having skin issues. Unfortunately I don't have the money to be paying for all the treatments they recommend but we have been giving her at times antibiotics and anti allergen medicine with little results. she was tested and does not have mange but I believe it must be some type of parasite because she sleeps with another dog of our and the other one is starting to lose hair. Any advice would be appreciated.

From the day after I found Macy she was treated with strong shampoo for the mange and then Beni Bio shampoo to follow and this was initially done on a daily basis but she deteriorated a lot and started to lose every hair on her body.

All my dogs have Ivermectin on a regular basis to prevent parasites (ticks, fleas and worms) so she had a mini-dose of 0.1ml every day for 3 weeks then bi-weekly.

By Easter she was worse but, as luck would have it, my good friend, Sue, who is a British vet and was giving her time at Animal Rescue | Dog Adoptions Dominican Republic | Asociacin De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sosa, Inc. at the spay and neuter clinic, came to stay for the weekend and, upon her recommendation Macy was given 1/10th of a Levofloxina tablet daily (human ones which I had in the bathroom drawer) and this was continued for almost 3 weeks. In addition, as Sue confirmed she had a serious yeast infection of her skin which meant she totally stank even when just bathed, I managed to get Ketocol shampoo containing ketoconazole for treatment of yeast infections/ anti fungal (this was donated by Bruni at WeCares farmarcia at Ocean One, Cabarete) and slowly but surely her skin cleared up, the smell went away and her hair started to regrow.

There are no miracle cures I'm sure but this was more of a concoction and trying different methods until we found one which worked. She will continue to receive a bath once a week for a while and have regular doses of Ivermectin every 3/ 4 weeks.

So, Chip, there were no expensive preparations used to get this little pup back to health but quite a lot of perserverance and attention. Good luck with the chihuahua.