Computer/internet problem - help please.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have banda ancha claro which is fine, but a few days ago I couldn't get into 4 of the news sites:
ElDia.com.do
Hoy.com.do - Publicidad
elnuevodiario.com
ElNacional.com.do

I callled Claro customer services, they did something at their end, I retried and they were all fine. The next morning the same issue. I called them again and they said they would do what they did before, but this time it didn't work. They said it was my computer.

I tried the banda ancha in another computer and websites were fine. Tried it in the other computer the next day and same problem. Called Claro and they said it was the banda ancha. Took it to local Claro office with my computer and it worked perfectly there grrrrrrrr! They said it was as I had a weak signal in the house and would only work if I have full signal. I have a full signal and can load other big sites with no issues.

So far I have run virus checking, cleared the cache and cookies, run a clean up programme, defragged, used all different browsers (I usually use Google Chrome), uninstalled and reinstalled Banda Ancha. All to no avail.

Has anyone any idea what it could be and what else I can try?

Matilda

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
By any chance are they all hosted by Codetel?

I don't think it's you.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I have no idea but connect when my computer is in claro office.

Matilda
It's not you or your computer, I'm sure. The problem is most likely where those particular sites are hosted. We've done some work on sites hosted by Codetel and have experienced problems on the server side.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I had the same problem here in Cabrera. I have a banda anche and also my personal telephone for Internet connection. The major news sites and even DominicanToday.com were inaccessible for awhile. I switched over to my satellite (yes, I am a geek) which has a U.S. IP address and it worked! Interesting, eh?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Well am totally stuck as Banda Ancha checked and is fine, Claro say all working well. I am not sure if it is worth getting another Banda Ancha and if I do will it have the same IP? Claro don't know lol.

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Just back from Claro. They say all is fine with my service and there was a glitch with those sites but is now repaired. They say the glitch did not affect my service (which it did). They got a techy to do something with the stick and said would work. It still doesnt. How do I use a proxy server?

Matilda

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Just back from Claro. They say all is fine with my service and there was a glitch with those sites but is now repaired. They say the glitch did not affect my service (which it did). They got a techy to do something with the stick and said would work. It still doesnt. How do I use a proxy server?

Matilda
If the problem was with "those sites" (I suspect host server issues @ Codetel) a proxy won't help.

Google "free proxy servers" and you'll find hundreds of links.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
If the problem was with "those sites" (I suspect host server issues @ Codetel) a proxy won't help.

Google "free proxy servers" and you'll find hundreds of links.

So if they have the problem how come other people can access the sites easily? And I did Google and it looks very complicated and no point in doing it if what you suspect is true. So I am still stuck with being unable to access those sites. Would it be worth trying to change my MTU settings?

Matilda

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
So if they have the problem how come other people can access the sites easily? And I did Google and it looks very complicated and no point in doing it if what you suspect is true. So I am still stuck with being unable to access those sites. Would it be worth trying to change my MTU settings?

Matilda
There can be many reasons. It could be the network node you're on is acting up (my guess, and why things work @ the Claro office.) Could be the DNS server. But I don't think it's your machine.

Using a proxy is easy. Go here (just for one of dozens of examples): List of Free Proxy Servers - Page 1 of 9

They have 9+ pages with proxies listed, several hundred, many sorted by countries. Click one. When it opens up put the URL in the blank area and click their "go" button.

You are now connecting to websites without going from the Codetel server directly. It also masks your IP address FWIW.

Easy.

Good luck.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There can be many reasons. It could be the network node you're on is acting up (my guess, and why things work @ the Claro office.) Could be the DNS server. But I don't think it's your machine.

Using a proxy is easy. Go here (just for one of dozens of examples): List of Free Proxy Servers - Page 1 of 9

They have 9+ pages with proxies listed, several hundred, many sorted by countries. Click one. When it opens up put the URL in the blank area and click their "go" button.

You are now connecting to websites without going from the Codetel server directly. It also masks your IP address FWIW.

Easy.

Good luck.

I have just tried it. Took me a little while to work out just to put the address I am looking for in the box on the proxy server web page, as I thought I had to do something 'under the hood' with Google Chrome which wouldn't work.

IT BLOODY WORKS!!!

Thanks a million.

Matilda

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws

Matilda

For starters dont use their dns servers
Use google 8.8.8.8 and/or opendns 208.67.220.220

dropshort

May 18, 2008
For starters dont use their dns servers
Use google 8.8.8.8 and/or opendns 208.67.220.220

Google also 8.8.4.4

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
DunHill, Where have you been hiding? Nice to see you re-appear with your knowledge.

[off topic]
just tired of helping on the forums, first they want your advice, so you explain what can and CANNOT be done, then they think that they know it better, (example> they think that they have rights like in the western world) then trouble comes, and and when the $hit hits the fan, i get blamed that i had not warned them enough.
I paid for my lessons "how to survive in the DR", so i decided to stay low and just grab a chair and a bag of popcorn and watch the show if those "i know it better after 5 years in a resort" start their game.
:rambo:

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
[off topic]
just tired of helping on the forums, first they want your advice, so you explain what can and CANNOT be done, then they think that they know it better, (example> they think that they have rights like in the western world) then trouble comes, and and when the $hit hits the fan, i get blamed that i had not warned them enough.
I paid for my lessons "how to survive in the DR", so i decided to stay low and just grab a chair and a bag of popcorn and watch the show if those "i know it better after 5 years in a resort" start their game.
:rambo:

Ahh perfect. I totally understand. The same know it alls on DR1 are the know it alls in life. ha haha
Take it all with a grain of salt.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Dunhill, #17:
My "like/dislike' don't work today (usually don't), but I HAD to say THANK YOU for the post.
After 32 years here I thought I alone had the problem. Nice to know there's company.