What is this?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
3G dongle: E1916, ZTE AC2736, HUAWEI E1750, HUAWEI EC122, HUAWEI EM770W

We sent a tablet to some relatives and they are unable to get online with it. I am the last person who you need to contact with technical problems, but as far as I can make out one of the things that may be causing this is that the unit is not compatible with DR 3G.

Does this mean anything to you?

3G dongle: E1916, ZTE AC2736, HUAWEI E1750, HUAWEI EC122, HUAWEI EM770W

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
S those numbers mean nothing particular? They have a dongle but still not connecting, I thought maybe this meant it wasn't compatible with something or other in DR.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Those are make/model numbers for 3G dongles: ZTE Corp, Huawei are device manufacturers. Is the tablet 3G? - if so, they can try to take the sim out of the dongle and install it into the tablet. Some non-3G tablets, at least Android-based, can work with USB dongles.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It is this one
Onda Vi40 Elite - 9.7 Inch IPS (1024*768) touchscreen Android 4.0 ICS Tablet PC A10 1G DDR3 5.0MP Camera WiFi HDMI 16GB FLASH Player supported compatible with iplayer, youtube and more,: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Now I've never needed to use 3G and so know zero about how you would go about connecting up. This unit does not have 3G built in but is apparently supported via external USB dongle. I donno, if you are a techy person maybe you can look and see what you make of it? It is a bit of the blind leading the blind here.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I would tell them to take the tablet and the dongle to Claro/Orange/whoever they got it from, and ask them for help. They should be able to troubleshoot.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Apparently they have taken the unit to the guy in the Dongle shop but he is unable to find out why it doesn't hitch up online. I sent the Unit from the UK so I am wondering if there is possibly certain settings that have been made for use here and and need re arranged for the DR.

What is the score with the Dongle, do you just buy it plug it in and off you go? I am trying to figure out where it may have gone wrong but if this is the case then I struggle to see what could have gone wrong. It isn't technical is it?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Not all 3G devices work on the available 3G network frequencies in the DR, dongle or not.

I believe the 3G frequencies in the DR are 900 and 850.

That particular model is Chinese (the description mentions Chinese apps), and most Chinese 3G devices use 1900 and 2100 3G network frequencies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I use a Claro dongle in DR.

All I had to do was plug it in the USB port, download the software [prompted automatically] and voila, it worked. I have a MacBook from the US.

So, it didn't work in the shop either? There might be something wrong with the dongle, I'd insist they try a different one at the office to be sure it's not a problem with the dongle itself. Where in DR is the family?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not all 3G devices work on the available 3G network frequencies in the DR, dongle or not.

That particular model is Chinese (the description mentions Chinese apps), and most Chinese 3G devices use 1900 and 2100 3G network frequencies.

So CB, would the Claro/Orange shop have a different dongle that might work?

Or are you saying that the problem is the particular tablet??

I'm getting an education here :cheeky:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
So CB, would the Claro/Orange shop have a different dongle that might work?

Or are you saying that the problem is the particular tablet??

I'm getting an education here :cheeky:
The 3G frequencies in the DR are 850/900. If the tablet doesn't have that it will never work. An Orange or Claro dongle will only receive the 850/900 frequencies. Nothing will convert them.

I just returned an awesome Chinese phone for that exact reason. It was 3G, but only had 1900 & 2100 receivers, not 850 & 900.

George (rubio higuey) gave me this lesson.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

Ah, an expert, maybe this means something to you?
OndaVi403G.gif

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Those look like compatible dongles, but no mention of frequencies.

I suspect it's frequency incompatibility that's the problem.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I cannot read Chinese but if it is a CDMA network card then it will not work on a GSM network.

I didn't know operators still used CDMA outside of the US, I thought they all converted a couple of years ago.

It is a bit like Betamax and VHS.. Betamax was the better system but VHS won out.

Some expert can correct me if I am wrong.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I just found this,
GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands

now if this unit works in the USA and the UK, which it does, then surely it is unlikely that it won't be supported in DR as the frequency is the same, the US uses 3G 850 as does the DR and the UK uses 2100.

Basically what works in DR works in the US. I think that list of Dongle types must be so the correct kind can be purchased. So if I've got this right, the shop could have supplied a dongle that was not compatible with the tablet, not necessarily meaning that the tablet is not compatible with the 3G, just that dongle????????????????????:ermm: maybe:paranoid:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Is Claro still CDMA?
If so ignore the last post....

Claro data is GSM, Claro voice is still both, CDMA is still in the process of being phased out.

I only know this as I tried to activate an older 2G ANDROID phone and they said only voice would work, need a SIM card for data. This may have been lip service from the tech @ Claro????

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
So if I've got this right, the shop could have supplied a dongle that was not compatible with the tablet, not necessarily meaning that the tablet is not compatible with the 3G, just that dongle?

What is the gongle and where did you get it? Are you using a sim card provided by a DR operator?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I just found this,
GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands

now if this unit works in the USA and the UK, which it does, then surely it is unlikely that it won't be supported in DR as the frequency is the same, the US uses 3G 850 as does the DR and the UK uses 2100.

Basically what works in DR works in the US. I think that list of Dongle types must be so the correct kind can be purchased. So if I've got this right, the shop could have supplied a dongle that was not compatible with the tablet, not necessarily meaning that the tablet is not compatible with the 3G, just that dongle????????????????????:ermm: maybe:paranoid:
GSM is NOT 3G. UMTS IS 3G.

DR uses UMTS 850 & 900 for 3G. The US uses 850, 900, 1900 & 2100 for 3G, depending on the company. The UK uses 2100 for 3G.

Bottom line: Claro uses 850 3G. Orange uses 900 3G. If you went to Claro and the machine doesn't work on their 850 3G, then try Orange's 900 3G. If that doesn't work than it's an official WiFi device in the DR.

I think...;)

Like I said, I just went through all of this on a device that received UMTS 2100, and I needed UMTS 900.