Deleting likes/dislikes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2009
How in the world to I delete dislikes? I keep on pressing them by mistake. Yes, I'm dumb -- it's tough when using a tablet to hit it right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
OK Thanks. I guess I'll continue to post my thanks this way!
Der Fush
Posting thanks is synonym for Like as far as I understand. When you click like you are saying thanks. However sometimes I can't click Like or Dislike. In that case I click on the post #, it reloads and I can use the Like button (a normal reload doesn't work).

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
now you got me confused. Clicked dislikes for expat in cabarete by accident when he asked the question. What up arrrow. Where? Ususally I just clik like or dislike. Sometimes I dont even have to read the post to know which one it will be, just glance at the name - ha!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
POST Thanks/Like tab is the stats for that user directly below the post count, all very important information in life!

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Oops, It looks like I inadvertently hijacked this thread. Let's get back to how he can delete a dislike he didn't mean to do. If anyone knows.
Der Fish

He can't, we're not on facebook!

Most posters just post clarifying their mistake if they feel the need.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
How in the world to I delete dislikes? I keep on pressing them by mistake. Yes, I'm dumb -- it's tough when using a tablet to hit it right

In most cases those accidental dislikes are not the user's fault, but rather caused by bad user interface design of the forums software. You click on the Like button, nothing seems to be happening, you click again on the same space and then you see you just posted both a Like and a Dislike. The first click actually goes through to the web server but the refresh of the Like/Dislike buttons is slow for whatever reason and then when you are about to click the second time it comes through, the Like button disappears and the Dislike button is shifted to the left to where the Like button was, and is clicked. Can be fixed by making sure the Dislike button doesn't shift to the left.

Jan 17, 2009
Thanks! Too bad there is no way to undo. I suppose I start apologizing for unmeant dislikes in a post, but it just sounds really wrong to interrupt a thread with a silly apology.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If it's that important to you send a PM to the person to let them know that the 'like' or 'dislike' was in error. Your conscience is clear and the thread isn't hijacked.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
In most cases those accidental dislikes are not the user's fault, but rather caused by bad user interface design of the forums software.

Never had a problem myself.

Are you sure it's not bad USER design?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
In most cases those accidental dislikes are not the user's fault, but rather caused by bad user interface design of the forums software. You click on the Like button, nothing seems to be happening, you click again on the same space and then you see you just posted both a Like and a Dislike. The first click actually goes through to the web server but the refresh of the Like/Dislike buttons is slow for whatever reason and then when you are about to click the second time it comes through, the Like button disappears and the Dislike button is shifted to the left to where the Like button was, and is clicked. Can be fixed by making sure the Dislike button doesn't shift to the left.
The forum software is proven, world class vBulletin. It ain't the UI.

It could be the route your "click" takes and how your ISP and computer process it all...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If it's that important to you send a PM to the person to let them know that the 'like' or 'dislike' was in error. Your conscience is clear and the thread isn't hijacked.
Do it in public so all know...

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Never had a problem myself.

Are you sure it's not bad USER design?

I was mystified by all those double clicks until it happened to me once; it's more likely to occur on a slow connection / sluggish browser. The root of the problem is that buttons shift positions when a Like is clicked (which is really confusing) and this creates potential for misclicks.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
The forum software is proven, world class vBulletin. It ain't the UI.

It could be the route your "click" takes and how your ISP and computer process it all...

Most of "proven" software is riddled with bugs and bad UI design decisions, I am sure they'll fix this minor issue at some point. Just like when a Like or Disliked can't be clicked at times, which is another problem.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Most of "proven" software is riddled with bugs and bad UI design decisions, I am sure they'll fix this minor issue at some point. Just like when a Like or Disliked can't be clicked at times, which is another problem.
I work with vBulletin and phpBB almost every day. There are hundreds of thousands of applications of them on the web. The probability of unresolved bugs is almost next to zero.

If it was the software it would be on every person using a particular browser, and that is not the case. "Bugs" aren't selective. They act the same all the time within a given set of parameters.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I work with vBulletin and phpBB almost every day. There are hundreds of thousands of applications of them on the web. The probability of unresolved bugs is almost next to zero.

If it was the software it would be on every person using a particular browser, and that is not the case. "Bugs" aren't selective. They act the same all the time within a given set of parameters.

This thread went a bit too technical, but nothing could be further from the truth. Bugs are very selective, they act differently all the time because the number of variables is huge and they tend to change a lot, from a browser version to timing etc., and a particular execution branch is triggered by a small portion of users. For the record, there are exactly 878 unresolved bugs in vBulletin tracker system right this moment, just for the vBulletin 4 project, just for the released versions: System Dashboard - vBulletin JIRA - and it's not even that many.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This thread went a bit too technical, but nothing could be further from the truth. Bugs are very selective, they act differently all the time because the number of variables is huge and they tend to change a lot, from a browser version to timing etc., and a particular execution branch is triggered by a small portion of users. For the record, there are exactly 878 unresolved bugs in vBulletin tracker system right this moment, just for the vBulletin 4 project, just for the released versions: System Dashboard - vBulletin JIRA - and it's not even that many.
Sorry, but I guess opinions vary.

A reported "bug" may not be a software bug at all, and often is not.

I have tools for chrome, Firefox, IE and Safari that allow websites to be run on versions going waaaaaay back. We test websites compatibility with them, SOP, every day. I've run DR1 on them and no bug. It may be other issues, server routings, slow pings, whatever, but no software bugs.

A "bug" would appear on more than 2-3 posters computers, especially on a forum as large as DR1.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I never claimed this particular problem with double clicks was "a bug", I would classify it as a case of horrible UI design, admittedly somewhat subjective, and it can be promoted to a bug if filed to their tracker system. If you count the number of people who inadvertently clicked both Like and Dislike on at least 1 comment, it's clear that enough people tripped on it. Try running your tools in slow network conditions, e.g. with Network Link Conditioner (comes with Xcode for Mac), you may be able to trip it easier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.