River kayaking adventure, Cabarete

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Went kayaking with Kayak River Adventures, Cabarete, a few weeks ago. This is about a 4.5 or so hour trip, with approx. 2 hours of paddling. It is fairly easy, in flat water with a few rapids interspersed here and there. There are big enough rapids to ramp up the fun factor in a few areas, but nothing really over an easy class 2. (fairly gentle rapids) It is possible to tip, and we did tip once. The one drawback of the trip is that the level of water in the rapids is not high, so that you most likely will hit rocks. I have paddled rivers that were much more fun, but it was a fun trip nevertheless, especially for being in the tropics on an island.

Highlights of the trip included swimming across the Yasica to climb up the opposite bank and jump off a rope swing. That was fun!!!!!!!! Also, the lunch afterwards was notable. It was cooked by an older Dominican woman at her house. Much more fun that way, and more a part of the local culture than eating in a restaurant. A beautiful area to eat in.

The guide, a German named Helmut, couldn’t have been better. He has a young Dominican helper who you’ll see can do just about anything. In fact, after losing my camera in the river, he found it after diving for a few minutes. He got a good tip!!

Best time to go is after rains so the level of the river is higher. Best to go when there is not much wind, or you’ll most likely be paddling against it. There is also one stand up paddleboard available. I think it best to call a few days in advance.

Helmut also does canyoning and rappelling in the same areas that Iguana Mama goes.

Link to KayakRiverAdventures: Caribbean Kayak River Adventures | Kayak Tours and Kayak Trips in Cabarete, Dominican Republic, Caribbean
Trip Pictures: Kayak River Adventures pictures by snowkraft - Photobucket