Using an ATM Card in DR

Jan 17, 2009
Ah, it is not only the foreign exchange rate. I don't know where your bank is, but in the case of most of US banks which are in the Visa network, Visa will charge you a foreign exchange fee of around 2%, plus ATMs here are charging a hefty RD$160-189 per withdrawal. Still, better pay those fees than carry a lot of cash on you. Use an ATM at a bank only and preferably one that lets you swipe your card and returns it.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
Banco Popular charges a low service fee compared to some others.

And I second it being better to make multiple transactions as opposed to having a lot of money getting lost/stolen.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I reccomend two things:
1. Use and ATM that is physically attached to a bank here during banking hours. So if a problem maybe it can be fixed right then.
2. Notify your home bank of your travel plans. If not they will put a hold on your card with the first use fearing fraud.

Bob K

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
And be sure to check the expiration date on your ATM card. We arrived Feb 12th for a several month stay, and soon found out the card expired on Feb 28th.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I personally Bank with Popular and Asociacion Cibao but have used my Visa at pretty much every named bank with an ATM on the inside of the building. By far I received the best exchange rates and ATM fee with Asociacion Cibao.
The rest charged an arm and a leg...................

B in Santiago

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've all but given up on using my UK ATM card in the DR. I use it once a month - if that - in the same ATM machine, the same amount, and it always gets blocked. I have to phone them to unblock it, I make my withdrawal and then the following month - rinse and repeat.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I used my USA Visa card at La Sirena to buy groceries as I always do. Der Fish

I would never use a USA card of ANY type in this country..................
Too many horror stories..........
Have a Banco Popular Visa credit for 3 years and not one problem..............

B in Santiago

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
yes, the fees are high. As far as having your account drained its possible. Happened twice to me in six years. Its no big deal you just tell the bank and they make it good. At least US banks. One time it was at Banco Popular and it was an inside job with a bank employee. Other time was an outside atm. Just watch your balance so if it happens you tell the bank quickly.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
I would only use plastic in a bank to get a cash advance. Then spend the cash.
I do not like to advertise my financial abilities or lack there of.

DS

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Casa De Cambio",is your friend!!
Get to know the owner!
You can cash your personal check,for a good rate,and no fees.
I bought my house with cash from the casa de cambio I use,and have used for over 20 years.
As far as ATM goes,I have been "Ripped Off" several times,but got the money back from my Boston bank,BUT,the "paper Work" was a pain in the A$$!
That "Double Billing" is very common.
Happened to me at "Vesuvios",and "Papa la Pasta"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

edm7583

May 29, 2007
just used my card at Scotiabank in the Zona Colonial. (I have Bank of America in the US)

RD$2900 withdrawal= Bank of America debits my account $74.45 with no fees from either bank. Effective rate 38.95
Immediately made a second withdrawal of RD$1900 ( I wanted a lot of small notes) = Bank of America debits my account $48.78 with no fees from either bank Effective rate the same 38.95