security

pup505

Oct 18, 2011
Hi. I would like some advice on my security situation. I am about to move from a hotel which has security guards 24/7 to an apartment which has no security guards. I live in juan dolio nuevo which is one of the safest places but there are not too many people on the streets which is not good. The place I am moving too has a 5 foot wall around it which one can easily climb and an electronic gate for cars. There are bars on the entrance to the building and my apartment but no bars on windows. I live on the 3rd floor with no balconey.
Yesterday, I found out that my ex girlfriend had been living with a motoconcho the whole time we were together. She fooled me and a lot of other people. She just lost her job, and I am afraid she may do something desperate for money since she lives in a shack with 4 kids. Her boyfriend leaves when she has no money. She is usually trankila, but can become tigeraje when it comes to money. How safe is my living situation? I am going back to the states for 2 weeks. Can you recommend anything I should buy to improve my security?
Please, no snide remarks that I am being paranoid from anyone who has not lived here. One has to live on this island in order to understand the living situation.

Jan 22, 2010
No bars on windows that is looking for troubles...in your case you must hire a security guard from a company and tip him extra before you leave or ask somebody of your friends(who is not corrupt) to stay at your place during your absence
Good luck!

T.E.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
If you're just renting then I'd suggest move to a gated community. If the apartment is yours then do some more investing.
Juan Dolio is one of the safest places? I have lived in JD and I can probably name 2 dozen people who have been killed, shot, raped or robbed. Good luck and for the future, choose better women.

pup505

Oct 18, 2011
Yes. I will choosy about the women I invite home now. I live on the 3rd floor. Are bars necessary there?

pup505

Oct 18, 2011
The apt building is on the beach frontage road and there is an apt building with security guards next door

pup505

Oct 18, 2011
I think I will be safe once I'm inside. The main concern is if someone gets to me when I am entering since there are not too many pedestrians. I rarely go out at nite

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Nobody will help you to justify your opinion that you are safe, that would be bad advice!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The apt building is on the beach frontage road and there is an apt building with security guards next door

What is the name of the apartments you live in? A few of us are quite familar with JD. We can advice you if that building is safe.
In my opinion.... JD isn't safe in too many places now. I used to live there but wouldn't live there now.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
You couldn't pay me enough money to live in Juan Dolio...that place gives me the heebie jeebies..

pup505

Oct 18, 2011
what is it about juan dolio that gives u the heebee jeebies? San pedro and boca chica give me the heebie jeebies

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's not really a question of security but whether your ex and her motoconcho will come after you. living without bars in windows can be ok in some areas, i lived like that for a year or so.
if you are renting you may be better off moving to a totally different area altogether. seems a little excessive, i know, but at least that would give you a piece of mind.
and something tells me that an average dude splitting up with an average girl would not think about a possibility of having his house broken into and his throat slit at night. if you have a reason to be worried you better go further then another apartment in the same town.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I fully understand the necessity to be aware of security here, but if I was so afraid to have my appartment broken into, or to be attacked on the way to the frontdoor, I would think not twice, but 10 times.

I would seriously consider moving to another country...
I would seriously consider moving to another town...
I would never rent an appartment without security or bars...

and on top of that, I would never rent an apartment without a balcony to enjoy the climate and views...

Having said that, I get the feeling the OP kind of attracts disaster, after disaster. If so, this is not the country for you.

BelgianK