Filing US taxes expat

haitises

Jun 2, 2008
Living in the DR and need to file US taxes for 2011. Anyone has experience with this or a contact reasonably priced?

Jan 17, 2009
We use H&R software that we purchase as a download on Amazon. We then print and mail our return (via EMS -- postal service express mail). We have been doing this for the past six years. I understand you can file online now, depending on the software you buy, whether it supports international filing or not.

Jan 17, 2009
Why does it matter that the OP is asking after the April 17th deadline? Are you not aware that US citizens living abroad have until June 15th to file, as we get an automatic 2-month filing extension.

several questions
1. why did you wait until after the taxes had to be filed (apr 17th this year) to ask this?
2.did you have earned income ,interest, capital gains etc. from the US?
3. do you know what forms you need to file beside 1040, schedule b/c, form 8938 or form tdf 90-22.1?
4. answer those and i may be able to help

captboink

Mar 3, 2011
l live in Boca Chica for the last year. I used the free version of Turbo Tax online. My filing is extremely simple, pensions as income then "print and file" I filed on April 4th they were accepted on April 5th and the return was in my account April 11.

Gary...er Captboink

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Expats have until june 15 of there fiscal tax year to file, and an additional extension until oct. 15 is usually eay to get, for filing not for paying that is.

Jan 17, 2009
The rule applies to any US citizen living abroad whether you work or not abroad. As long as you have earned or unearned income, regardless of source, it applies. Surely if you have no income, you don't need to file at all, whether abroad or in the US.

U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad

yes, i am aware but as the irs says, it applies to those who both live and work outside the us. maybe he does not work anymore so the extension would not apply to him. but we have not heard from him since this morning so we dont know what the situation is.

LM9

May 10, 2012
Living in the DR and need to file US taxes for 2011. Anyone has experience with this or a contact reasonably priced?

I used Artio Partners to prepare my tax return. I was very pleased with the service. Knowledgeable and prompt reply to my questions. I didn't try to use any software as my tax return was a little bit complicated. Hope it helps!

haitises

Jun 2, 2008
Thanks for all the replies. I'm 48 and not retired. Have filed before and years ago did some trades and the IRS caught up with me. Filled the tax sent ck last year but to my surprise overpaid and got money back. I work for myself and this year have no capital gains, dividends or any other income other than from my work. When I was in the US I filed myself and it was able to get it done but don't know about the expat forms. My son will be entering college in 2013 and he will need all the aid he can get so I want to start filling again. I guess I'll try with Turbo Tax and see what happens.